Evidently it has been developed with oversight from Apple to ensure it will be accepted. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/11/skyfire-ios-app/
At first glance, my reaction was "BS" since Jobs is so anti-Flash but the whole Flash->HTML5 concept seems pretty cool. I'd like to see how that works.

I'll be looking forward to trying this app out. Sounds like it has potential to be a good auxiliary to Safari.
Can't wait to try this Very Happy
elfprince13 wrote:
Evidently it has been developed with oversight from Apple to ensure it will be accepted. http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/11/skyfire-ios-app/
I don't understand why people are so eager to get something on a platform that clearly has no interest in being open to other companies' products. Personally I'd rather use platforms made by companies that are actually interested in open development.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
I don't understand why people are so eager to get something on a platform that clearly has no interest in being open to other companies' products. Personally I'd rather use platforms made by companies that are actually interested in open development.

That is a personal opinion, yes. But I am sure what SkyFire has to look at is the marketshare that the iDevices have. If they can begin to win those people over, they stand a better chance at keeping the clientele when or if said clientele change platforms. It's a big picture scenario. I doubt that anyone will look at phone or PMD and make a decision based solely on SkyFire. Big picture my friend, big picture.
An excellent point, good sir, an excellent point indeed. From a consumer standpoint, though, it seems silly to me to want to use Flash on a platform that clearly does not welcome it, so if using Flash was a big part of my life or job, then I would pick a different platform.
Who cares what iOS does and doesn't support? Nobody serious uses it anyway.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Who cares what iOS does and doesn't support? Nobody serious uses it anyway.
Yeah, everyone just uses the Newton instead. Razz
I've found SkyFire to be slow to the point of being unusable myself. I don't know if this is a software or infrastructure issue, though; it's a fairly ambitious undertaking (it's the same basic idea as Opera Mini, but extending it to plugins as well, so it's no great surprise Apple have allowed it).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours