I've never had a problem with the rosin leaving a sticky residue, but perhaps I just haven't been looking carefully. Smile It sounds like at least you have a good idea about how to take proper care of an iron.
MufinMcFlufin wrote:
KermM, my teacher always mentioned that if you left Flux on the circuit, it would get sticky, letting dust and the such get stuck to the circuit, or something like that. I just remember that whenever we made a circuit, he had us clean all the leftover flux off.

Speaking of cleaning the tip, is it just me, or have you heard of a tinning block? Neither my dad (who works in IT) nor my brother (who builds computers) have heard of tinning their soldering iron, much less using a tinning block to help them tin their iron.

I use one of these to clean my tips: http://www.wassco.com/Products/Edsyn-EA439-Dry-Tip-Cleaner__WAS-02-15439.aspx
Ah, I had actually seen that product in my school's EE workroom, but I never really knew what it was for. Thanks for informing me, Ult Dev'r. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours