Geez Anak, that's terrible. Sad I think you might win/lose the Why Your Life Sucks thread at this point. I of course hope things get better for you; you definitely have the aptitude for programming to get a good job as a coder, so I hope you find ways to pursue your potential. Sad
3.)Yes dshiznet, and just to emphasize on that, i put an application in 3 times at goodwill and twice at wal-mart.both of which are supposedly known for that.

4.)Can't do until i get a job, cant afford debt

5.)People who have masters degrees are working as maids.Not always a definate

6.) I know

10.)I had one once, it was to become a Nintendo game designer work for maybe 10 years, then branch off into my own company, but with no funding and coming from a poor-er family, i can't go to college, so dream killed.
The great thing about Student Loans is that they don't pile up like other kinds of debts, because they have no interest and are supported by the government. Once you have a degree, you should be able to get a job, at which point you can make payments for 10 years and let tax-payers pay the rest. Isn't America great?
yes, but it would come out of my tax returns, and when i die the debt is passed on to family.Besides even like I said, people with masters degrees are working as maids, going to college doesnt guarantee you a job, and if anything these days may even hinder you.If you cant get a job at a higher level place like Nintendo or Microsoft, you'd have to settle for lower, and the lower may consider you overqualified and not hire.Either way, it take years to get a degree and money dont solve everything
What debt? Haven't you read a thing I post? It gets forgiven after 10 years. That means no more payments need to be made. Yes, it could affect your tax returns, but it would affect everyone's tax returns, which would be pennies to you if that. And if you're unemployed, you can collect welfare. It isn't as hopeless as you make it sound.
Edited for accidentally be posted in the wrong forum. Silly qazz
KermMartian wrote:
I'm Kllrnohj, I work for Google blah blah blah. GTFO n00b. Cool

I'm a n00b at sucking, I'll grant you that Razz Actually my life kind of sucks today - no one was cooking me an awesome meal for free Sad Wink

@Anakclusmos: Just keep applying. Target loves cart pushers, for example. Big chains with lots of part-timers tend to have a lot of churn.
Anakclusmos, I feel so sorry for you. I hope life gets better.

Smile

edit: Qazz, that is slightly offtopic Wink
souvik1997 wrote:
Anakclusmos, I feel so sorry for you. I hope life gets better.

Smile

edit: Qazz, that is slightly offtopic Wink
I think he accidentally crossposted; I believe he was going for one of the DCS threads. Smile At DShiznit and Kllrnohj, interesting ideas.
O_o, crap, really? goes to show that posting while watching a Math video is not a bright idea...
Anakclusmos wrote:
I slept all day just to escape it.

i've moved to being nocturnal. it's so much easier to get things done when there's little chance of people walking in and shouting about how angry they are that you aren't getting anything done. of course, the sleep deprivation isn' that great.
Anakclusmos wrote:
On the first day of highschool i was chokeslammed on the back of the bus for "sitting in someones seat"

i had a similar experience once, but it was a public bus and a severely drunk man, so the blow wasn't really that damaging.
Anakclusmos wrote:
In 3rd grade my teacher Ms.Andrews made a public example of me.I spend every day under a desk writing sentences, and if i didnt have 1000 by the end of the day she held me back.She mocked me in every way.

my humane letters(two hour class consisting of history, literature, and [mainly] the discussion of the two) teacher compared me to his five-year-old son and then threw a book at my face when i didn't reply a couple of days ago.
Anakclusmos wrote:
After i had to have stitches from a punch to the face, I was removed from public school.My moms ex-husband was extremely abusive and one night after cracking my moms skull on a brick wall when i was 6 she told him she left her purse in the waffle house she worked at.He said he'd get it and the second he left, we darted through the streets to the nearby hotel which had a drive through check in.we asked to use the phone and he said no.a woman behind the counter happened to see us and helped by calling 911.We hid in the bushes until the police came and rode off in the police car that night where i fell asleep.i stil cant even remember where i woke up at.

dang... Neutral
now i'm glad my father is only passive-aggressive

9.)hey, person just got out of prison

10.)you're not the only one there. heck, i don't know what i'm going to be doing tomorrow Razz

12.)i was homeschooled until 7th grade, so i get what's up there. the isolation is horrible.

13.)i'm 2k in debt Laughing

sorry if this isn't very consoling. i'm a bit out off touch with conventional human behaviour.

EDIT: oh, and as for job stuff: just keep applying. it took a few years, but i eventually found one.
Shmibs and Anakclusmos, it sounds to me like you both have a lot of negative things going on in your lives, and I certainly hope that you persevere until life improves. Sad You both have a lot of raw skill and potential, so I have confidence that if you don't let it get to you too much and keep your heads up, that you'll succeed.
This is by far the most emo thread on this forum...and started by Kerm of all people.

DShiznit wrote:
4 isn't a problem anymore thanks to Obama's Student Loan reform. Now you can take out a loan straight from the government. Make minimum payments for 10 years and it's automatically forgiven.

Oh how naive you are.
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
This is by far the most emo thread on this forum...and started by Kerm of all people.

DShiznit wrote:
4 isn't a problem anymore thanks to Obama's Student Loan reform. Now you can take out a loan straight from the government. Make minimum payments for 10 years and it's automatically forgiven.

Oh how naive you are.
Are you therefore saying that DShiznit is incorrect? I think it would be helpful for him and those to whom he's recommending student loans to know that.
I think he's referring to the fact that making tax-payers foot the bill for your education might not be the best idea for the country as a whole in the long run.
I'll break it down (I'll use NCSU's Cost of Attendence as an example since I am all too familiar with it):

In order to be eligible for federal financial aid for college, one must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). On this application you put down pretty much all of your and your parents' financial info (if you're under 23), and after you submit it you get an Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is essentially what you are expected to pay out of pocket (you can estimate how much your EFC is by going here)

As an example, for a household of 4 people who's annual income is $60K and has no other assests, tax deductions, etc., this student's EFC would be $9,209. This is the amount that is expected to be financed directly by the student and his family. How is this done? Either through cold, hard cash or by loans:

For federal loans, there's Perkins, Stafford, and PLUS loans.

A Perkins loan is usually reserved for students who are in greeat financial need, and an undergraduate student can borrow $5500 max a year not to exceed a $27500 lifetime total.

The maximum a freshman can borrow via an unsubsidized Stafford loan is $5500 for an academic year ($3500 for subsidized).

As for PLUS loans, unless you're over 23 or a grad student, these are generally only available to the parents of the student. This type of loan has no limit as it is based solely on the parents' credit history (so if your parents have a horrible credit history you're screwed here).

1 academic year for in-state undergraduate students @ NCSU costs $17,727 for tuition, r&b, books, meals, etc. So let's do some math:

$17,727 - $9,209 = $8,518 that your family is not expected to pay directly. I'll come back to this later.

As for the $9,209 that your family is expected to pay, let's assume you were to get an unsubsidized Stafford loan:

$9,209 - $5,500 = $3,709 left to pay after a Stafford loan.

Now if your parents have good credit then you can get them to pick up the remaining $3,709; else you'll have to find another way to pay (if you do find one let me know).

Now back to the $8,518 figure from earlier. This is the amount that you are NOT expected to pay out of pocket. This is where it can get tricky. Depending on how much financial aid and grant money your school has available, you school may give you a little or a lot to pay towards this $8,518 figure. In adition to this there are a few federal educational grants thats you may be eligible for (see here). Usually what I have seen though is a lot of people participate in Work-Study programs (you work x hours a week and your wages go toward paying off that $8,518.)

Here's the problem with Obama's student loan reform; if you can't meet your financial obligations via federal programs (whether it be through grants, Work-Study, loans, etc.), it's damn near impossible to get a private student loan now, which makes it much harder to pay for college (although it does stop a lot of the predatory lending practices by certain companies *cough*Sallie Mae*cough*)

Also, in regards to the whole "your debt is forgiven after 10 years" - the only way it would take >10 years to pay off federal student loan debts would be if you had some astronomical amount of debt and a horrible salary and only made the minimum payments based on said salary.
I'm afraid I can't make any more horribly constructive additions than to thank you for that quite in-depth explanation. Smile
My life sucks because people have psuedo-internets on this forum.

And Kllrnohj, you're right. Target does love their Cart Attendants. I was luckily enough to not get hired to that, or the cash registers.
comicIDIOT wrote:
And Kllrnohj, you're right. Target does love their Cart Attendants. I was luckily enough to not get hired to that, or the cash registers.

Psh, Cart Attendants are the coolest people ever. I should know, I was a cart attendant Razz

Actually, as far as part time jobs go it really isn't bad. Cashier sucks because you're dealing with idiots constantly and it's so slow. Pushing carts is harder physically, but the time goes by much quicker. Or at least it did for me. Helps keep you in shape, too. You could do crap like eat an entire box of oatmeal creme pies for lunch and still loose weight.
I drink half-and-half or Whole Milk and eat four Ham & Cheese Hot Pockets for lunch and still manage loose weight when I'm home. That's another reason why my life sucks, I can't break 115lbs.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 29
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours