I have begun a new project called Jumpman for the TI-89.

Jumpman is a platform game written by Randy Glover and released by Epyx in 1983. Originally developed for the Atari 400/800, versions were also released for the Commodore 64, Apple II, and IBM PC.

Wikipedia - Jumpman

Here are a few Youtube videos of the Commodore 64 version:

Jumpman 1/3
Jumpman 2/3
Jumpman 3/3

Here is a link to the Commodore 64 boxed set.

And finally... here is a screenshot of the TI-89 Jumpman just moving around the screen.

Ranman
Bringing Randy Glover's Jumpman to the TI-89 calculator. Download available here.
Whoa, that's looking excellent, Ranman! I presume that you're writing with with TIGCC? I definitely look forward to seeing your progress with this program.
Yes... Currently using TIGCC in C and some assembly.

I've been curious about the new GCC4TI... I may give that a try soon.
Ranman wrote:

Cool cool, I look forward to seeing your impressions on it. I regret that I've never really gotten into 68k calculator coding in C; maybe one day I'll get the chance. Do you have any particular roadmap in mind for this game?
Ranman wrote:

You might want to switch to it, but that's up to you. I think GCC4TI is still maintained, unlike TIGCC, nowadays. TIGCC's latest update was back in 2006, aside from Vista patches.

Nice game by the way. Smile
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Ranman wrote:

You might want to switch to it, but that's up to you. I think GCC4TI is still maintained, unlike TIGCC, nowadays. TIGCC's latest update was back in 2006, aside from Vista patches.

Nice game by the way. Smile
Good point, although hopefully TIGCC is mature enough that it doesn't need too many fixes at this point.
Thanks for all of the responses to Jumpman. Smile

TIGCC is fairly mature. GCC4TI picks up where TIGCC left off plus has quite a few suggestions from the community implemented.

Here is some more eye candy...

Note: This level will eventually have magically appearing girders and ladders upon the collection of specific bombs.
Oooh, very nice job on those physics! Looking good. Smile
Here is the same level with scriptable collectible bombs implemented. You may notice that some of the ladders, girders, ropes, and chains are missing. Wink

When you pick up a scriptable bomb, the script is executed. Scripts can make ladders, girders, ropes, and chains either visible or invisible as well as active or inactive.

Oooooh, very impressive. Do you have your whole level format already planned out to handle this, or is it still a mutating and shifting beast?
Bullets in action... Cool

Ranman wrote:
Bullets in action... Cool

Looking good, sir; looking very good! I hope that other people are checking out this topic too and just not commenting, because this is looking great even this early in your development process.
what determines when the bullet's change their speed/direction?
is it just randomized?

and dittoes to Kerm's comment. i love how this is looking so far(especially the dynamic levels).
KermMartian wrote:
Looking good, sir; looking very good! I hope that other people are checking out this topic too and just not commenting, because this is looking great even this early in your development process.

Thanks so much Kerm! I really appreciate your support.

shmibs wrote:
what determines when the bullet's change their speed/direction?
is it just randomized?

and dittoes to Kerm's comment. i love how this is looking so far(especially the dynamic levels).

Thanks shmibs. Bullets may change their speed/direction when their X or Y value lines up with Jumpman's X or Y value. This is not always true though... the original game implements some sort of probability that this will occur.

Time to work on implementing hailstones. Cool
I like the mechanic of the bullets changing direction (and speed) when they're in the same row or column as Jumpman; I almost find it cleaner than additional probabilistic changes. On the other hand, I could see the value of making the bullets change direction to get closer to Jumpman every once in a blue moon to make the game more challenging.
KermMartian wrote:
I like the mechanic of the bullets changing direction (and speed) when they're in the same row or column as Jumpman; I almost find it cleaner than additional probabilistic changes. On the other hand, I could see the value of making the bullets change direction to get closer to Jumpman every once in a blue moon to make the game more challenging.

Bullets can travel horizontally, vertically, and diagonally. But once they lock on and "fire", they can only travel in horizontal, vertical, and zig-zag.

There will be enemies like robots, bats, dragons, falcons, et al. that will use your suggestion Kerm... where the enemies modify their routes to get closer to Jumpman.
Here is a screenshot showing hailstones, jumping blocks, and zig-zag bullets in action:

My favorite are the hailstones! Smile
Whoa, not only is that a set of some extremely impressive gameplay mechanics, you're also shockingly good at playing the game and avoiding all the obstacles that are trying to interfere with your progress. Smile Nice job.
KermMartian wrote:
Whoa, not only is that a set of some extremely impressive gameplay mechanics, you're also shockingly good at playing the game and avoiding all the obstacles that are trying to interfere with your progress. Smile Nice job.

If you only knew how many attempts it took me to make that screenshot. Very Happy
Ranman wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

If you only knew how many attempts it took me to make that screenshot. Very Happy
Awww, poor Ranman. Sad Well, for what it's worth, I think your effort was well-spent. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours