Wow, that looks great, Ranman! Thanks for sharing; I'm very happy that this project continues to progress, and quite rapidly at that. I'm a bit curious how you do the title screen; is it a state machine approach with a single loop and a bunch of conditionals, or something more linear with repeated key-checking code?
KermMartian wrote:
Wow, that looks great, Ranman! Thanks for sharing; I'm very happy that this project continues to progress, and quite rapidly at that. I'm a bit curious how you do the title screen; is it a state machine approach with a single loop and a bunch of conditionals, or something more linear with repeated key-checking code?

Thanks Kerm.

For the title screen, I have two independent lists of moves -- one list for Jumpman and one list for the letters. Each list is an array of the following user defined data type:

typedef struct
{
uint1 count;
uint1 direction;
uint1 action;
} SCRIPTED_MOVE_Type;

Where 'count' is the total number of steps in the specified 'direction. I use the 'action' field for Jumpman jumping and for the switching to the next letter. When the total number of steps reaches the 'count', I move to the next element in the array of moves.

This is kind of a brute force method that utilizes a relatively small amount of RAM. It took a few attempts to get the letter movement's synced up to the Jumpman's movements. T'was a fun task to implement. Cool
New Jumpman screenie...

Note: I modified the Hailstones level so that picking up a single bomb ended the level as well as the game.

Here you will hopefully see a more polished game. You will see bonus points racking up for finishing a level early and also for having Jumpmen remaining at the end of the game. You will also see a top 10 high scores for the game score and bonus points.

Enjoy.
That's looking amazing! This reminds me so much in fluidity and visual quality of actual arcade/mame games. Well done.
Finally...

A new Jumpman screenshot. This level is called Vampire.

The game lives on, nearly two years since the last post in the topic! That's great news, and I continue to be impressed with both the fluidity and trueness to the original of your port. Now that you have a little more free time (?), have you set any vague schedule for yourself for finishing it off? For that matter, what still remains? Mostly level design?
Thanks Kerm.

I got back to work on it about 2 weeks ago. I spent some time fixing some bugs due to speed optimizations that I made a year ago. Then I spent some time modifying the game engine in preparation for invisible and moving platforms.

Mostly level design and enemy movements are left. And of course, a level editor. I'm shooting to have it finished before the end of 2013.
Another new Jumpman screenie...

This level is called Figurit's Revenge and was originally a part of the Jumpman Junior level set. It is a challenging puzzle type level where almost every bomb either removes or adds platform girders and/or ladders.

So be careful, that bomb you pick up may remove the platform that you are standing on. Wink
So are the blocks that get removed chosen randomly, or is it all scripted? And how goes the moving platforms? Very Happy
leafiness0 wrote:
So are the blocks that get removed chosen randomly, or is it all scripted? And how goes the moving platforms? Very Happy

Hi leafiness0,

The platform pieces (ladders, girders, ropes & chains) that can be made visible or invisible are all done by scripting.

I still need to work on moving platforms a bit; but walking on invisible platforms works now. This will be similar to some games where the lights are out... and as you walk, the platforms become visible.

With that said, here's another new screenie...

This level is called Hellstones and was originally a part of the Jumpman Junior level set with some slight modifications due to screen height.

Watch out for those bouncing stones -- they hurt!
Great work Ranman. It's nice to see something for the 89 which is a little neglected in comparison to the 83/84 family. Did you ever play the originals back in the day - or am I giving my own age away ? Smile
ti83head wrote:
Great work Ranman. It's nice to see something for the 89 which is a little neglected in comparison to the 83/84 family. Did you ever play the originals back in the day - or am I giving my own age away ? Smile

Thanks for the support ti83head!

Indeed the 68K calcs seem extremely neglected these days. I hope I can change that at least a tiny bit.

Yes... I played the original back in the day. In fact, I still have a C64 (actually an SX-64), Jumpman on cassette & floppy disk, and Jumpman Junior on cartridge. I still break it out and play it a few times a year. Cool

Errr... am I giving my age away? Laughing Evil or Very Mad
Here's a Jumpman screenie showing dynamic platform illumination...

Be careful. Don't move too fast; you might just fall!

Edit: updated screenie to show fire and hide the ropes & chains.
Another level completed -- it's called Fire! Fire!. Here's a screenie:

That one looks like a lot of fun. Keep up the good work, tearing through levels like this! How many levels are there all together?
KermMartian wrote:
That one looks like a lot of fun. Keep up the good work, tearing through levels like this! How many levels are there all together?

Jumpman Junior = 12 levels
Jumpman = 30 levels

But the possibilities are endless! Wink
Another new Jumpman screenie...

This level is called HereThereEverywhere and was originally a part of the Jumpman Junior level set. It is a challenging puzzle type level where every bomb instantly transports Jumpman to the location of the transporter (flashing square).

So be careful, that bomb you pick up may land you where no platform exists. Wink
Ranman, I hadn't noticed this topic before; this game looks great! As Kerm said, the best thing is the intricacies of the mechanics, for example, I really like how the guy climbs down the rope. And I also like everything else about it. Very Happy So, to what degree would you say that the abilities of the 89 calc over the 83+/84+ calcs makes this game so fluid?

Also, I have a Commodore Plus/4 - I'd like to have a game like that Razz
CalebHansberry wrote:
Ranman, I hadn't noticed this topic before; this game looks great! As Kerm said, the best thing is the intricacies of the mechanics, for example, I really like how the guy climbs down the rope. And I also like everything else about it. Very Happy So, to what degree would you say that the abilities of the 89 calc over the 83+/84+ calcs makes this game so fluid?

Also, I have a Commodore Plus/4 - I'd like to have a game like that Razz

Thanks for the encouraging words CalebHansberry. Smile My favorite is the rope climbing as well. I have to give the credit to the original author, Randy Glover, for his excellent work on the sprites.

As for the game's fluidity, all of the platform interactions (girders, ropes, ladders, & chains) are done by pixel testing rather than tile based collision testing. I'm not sure if that really helps or not. But because I wanted to keep this game to a single non-scrolling screen, I had to squeeze some things vertical wise. The platform sprites are all 8x4 pixels. I only have four 8x4 sprites that generate all of the platforms you see. The tiles can be placed at any Y pixel but the X pixel must be a multiple of 4. So it would have been tough to implement tile based collision detection -- because all of the tiles would overlap in both the X and Y directions. I only generate the game screen once during level initialization... I base my pixel testing on what has been drawn to video memory.

I think the Jumpman animated sprites (20 sprites in all) give the game the illusion of fluidity.

Anyway... I'm doing my best to stay true to the original. I'm so glad you like it. T'was one of my favorites on the C64. I'm sorry it was never published for the Plus4.

Edit: Another new Jumpman screenie...

This level is called Hurricane and was originally a part of the Jumpman Junior level set.

New features added to support this level:
- wind: jumpman moves fast when walking/jumping with the wind... very slowly against the wind
- wrap mode: jumpman going off the screen in the X direction brings him to the opposite side
- birds
A multitude of Jumpman screenies...

4 new levels: Nothing To It, Jumping Blocks, Zig-Zag, and Blackout.

Note: Jumping blocks will make Jumpman jump. I promise I did not hit the jump key.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours