Yes on Prop 19 is a campaign to push for the legalization, control, and taxation of marijuana on the grounds that cannabis prohibition has failed and become obsolete.
Quote:
Today, hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars are wasted enforcing the failed prohibition of cannabis (also known as marijuana). Currently, cannabis is easier for kids to get than alcohol. Prohibition has created a violent criminal market run by international drug cartels. Police waste valuable resources targeting non-violent cannabis consumers, while thousands of violent crimes go unsolved. And there is $14 billion in marijuana sales every year in California, but our debt-ridden state sees none of the revenue that would come from controlling and taxing it. Cannabis prohibition has failed.
This proposition is backed by (mainly Californian) law enforcement officials, physicians and doctors, elected officials, professors of law, and even what they call "faith leaders" (or, Faith-based / Religious organizations).

The idea is that the legalization, control, and taxation of cannabis like alcohol will put the focus of our police forces on greater threats in our communities as well as generate billions of dollars worth of revenue.

Link: http://yeson19.com/

Annd... Debate.
It will still be illegal to grow cannabis, but you can buy & smoke it. There's already a Apple-esque store in San Francisco.

And I think that if it is taxed, we'll see a lot more money coming into the economy. However, the tax revenue still wont go to education or anything we need (here in California).
Indeed. It's best to read the proposition first.

And, I believe, Proposition 19 = California only;
Although, something like this should carry to other states very quickly, I presume after a year or two. This would be a massive step towards the legalization of Cannabis, and I'm sure all the pot-heads out there are incredibly excited about all this.

It should be interesting to see how the polls turn out in Cali this November 2nd. If this rolls through, I do believe Cannabis will be legalized in many more places then California. However, just as you mentioned comic, it will be illegal to grow and sell cannabis unless you're a corporation. I assume there will still be private, illegal distribution of it, as state and local gov will have the authority to impose copious taxes, which could make it incredibly expensive to purchase commercialized marijuana. Probably more then cigarettes.

Although, with the possibility of corporations promoting the sale of joints and the like, I'm sure it might be similar to what we have now: Expensive cigarette packs, but less expensive straight tobacco.
In my opinion, pot is just smokable alcohol, it all can lead to the same consequences, so I really don't care what they do...
That's a little ignorant. The use of alcohol and marijuana differs drastically, and the affects are also no where near similar.

Alcohol gets you drunk. Cannabis gets you high. Wink

The consequences are quite different, especially when it comes to the usage. In all honesty, I'm not an advocate of the legalization of marijuana. But, please, don't be ignorant on the subject if you live in the US, that's the worst thing that you can do. (And sadly what the majority of the US enjoys doing). Educate yourself; especially before posting ignorant comments in my thread Rolling Eyes
The bill helps the state, it helps those who enjoy marijuana, and it doesn't do any harm to anyone who wouldn't be harmed by it anyway. The government doesn't need to step in where it's not needed and most antidrug legislation (beyond marijuana, though there are more legitimate arguments for the fight against many other drugs) is a perfect example of the government 'flexing it's muscles'.
It should be legal to grow it too, think of all the new farming jobs it would create!
I thought this was relevant to your comment, DShiz.
Quote:
In 1492, Christopher Columbus brought cannabis as rope of hemp into the New World. In 1619, Jamestown colony law declared that all settlers were required to grow cannabis. In 1797, George Washington grew cannabis for fiber production at Mount Vernon as his primary crop. Prohibitions of cannabis as a drug arose in many states from 1906 and onward. By the mid-1930s, cannabis as a drug was regulated in every state by laws instituted through The Uniform State Narcotic Act.
Ironic how it went from being required to be grown on all farms and gardens to one of the most common illegal narcotic on the black market.

Source: http://mensnewsdaily.com/sexandmetro/2010/07/21/city-of-oakland-california-approves-industrial-cannabis-farms/

^ Pretty interesting read, imo.
qazz42 wrote:
In my opinion, pot is just smokable alcohol, it all can lead to the same consequences, so I really don't care what they do...
Wait wait. If you say it leads to the same consequences and so you don't care if cannabis is legalized wouldn't you actually be against something like this?
comic, the comment was ignorant as it is, seeing as they're two completely different substances yielding two completely different effects and "consequences".
True, quite true.
They both make you stupid, which I think was his point, thus if one is legal, why not make the other legal?
swivelgames wrote:
In all honesty, I'm not an advocate of the legalization of marijuana.

I'm supportive of marijuana legalization, I'm just not supportive of actually choosing to use it Wink
Hehe I just couldn't resist.

If you're allowed to buy it and use it, but not to grow it, then where does it get grown? Shock Also, I think this Autotune the News is somewhat relevant:

You'd likely need a permit to grow the plant. As by, it'd be regulated by the government. Now, if we'll have Legal Growing Pot Farms that distribute to the likes of stores much like a real farm, is plausible.
KermMartian wrote:
If you're allowed to buy it and use it, but not to grow it, then where does it get grown? Shock Also, I think this Autotune the News is somewhat relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbc2NaLuv1A

Clearly the farming takes place inside of a turtle fence.
swivelgames wrote:
That's a little ignorant. The use of alcohol and marijuana differs drastically, and the affects are also no where near similar.

Alcohol gets you drunk. Cannabis gets you high. Wink

The consequences are quite different, especially when it comes to the usage. In all honesty, I'm not an advocate of the legalization of marijuana. But, please, don't be ignorant on the subject if you live in the US, that's the worst thing that you can do. (And sadly what the majority of the US enjoys doing). Educate yourself; especially before posting ignorant comments in my thread Rolling Eyes

You're absolutely correct, just not in the way you think. Marijuana is *FAR* safer than alcohol, both to the person using it AND to those around them (alcohol is far more associated with violent and sexual crimes).
I think you misunderstood my post. The comment about "that's the worst thing that you can do" refers to being ignorant. Marijuana is far safer than alcohol by a long shot, and definitely safer then cigarettes. I've never truly had a concern with the use of cannabis, to be completely honest, but it's just not something I enjoy. Although I am not an advocate, I am not very strongly opposed to it much at all.

Ignorance, however, is detrimental to one's health Razz
What about throat cancer, emphysema, lung cancer? I would expect that smoking anything, marijuana included, would equally increase your risk of such diseases.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours