yeah... im making an internet program... Shock ONE THAT WILL WORK! but i REALLY need help. i need 4 basic ideas solved:

1) a way to send something and recognize being connected to the internet

2)some way to transfer text into html code

3) a way to send addresses

4) a way to receive enformation from an html source AND DISPLAY IT

I truly am committed to this. ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated. i dont care how long it may take, IM READY sock it to me! Evil or Very Mad

Edit: yes, i realize im crazy, and yes, i know i wont be able to show videos or pictures, but this HAS been done before!!! look on ticalc!
Has it? Why don't you look at their code them?

All I can think of is calc2net (dcs)... Post a link to the project you were thinking of.

Edit:
Also, no double posting.
link: telnet

http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/71/7116.html

and it'd be nice to know HOW this was done instead of just coppying it.. besides, this used a ti83, we could probably do better with a 84.

and sorry about the double-post Razz
rcplanegy wrote:
yeah... im making an internet program... Shock ONE THAT WILL WORK! but i REALLY need help. i need 4 basic ideas solved:

1) a way to send something and recognize being connected to the internet

2)some way to transfer text into html code

3) a way to send addresses

4) a way to receive enformation from an html source AND DISPLAY IT

I truly am committed to this. ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated. i dont care how long it may take, IM READY sock it to me!
Evil or Very Mad

Edit: yes, i realize im crazy, and yes, i know i wont be able to show videos or pictures, but this HAS been done before!!! look on ticalc!

This is going to require a lot of assembly knowledge. If the ticalc.org file has the source, you could look at that.
holy hell, cruise control on that title x.x

anyways, I would have to say that there is no way you can do that with basic, you would need extreme hardwear and asm knowledge.. good luck

oh, in fact, if you manage to pull this off, do make sure that you use TIML as the web pages

Edit: please try to use less caps, and try to seem a bit less.. errr... crazy and rushed >.< it makes it hard to understand what you are saying. (no need to be a grammer nazi though)
HTML Renderers are complex and hard. Low level internet access is complex and hard. The browser will probably have to be text only. From your first post, though, it doesn't sound like you are exactly sure about how connecting to the internet works at a low level. I wish you luck, though.
Uhh, last I checked, he doesnt no any asm whatsoever, am I correct?
1) I changed your title to actually be meaningful. Please be respectful of the goals of an intelligent, constructive title: it should represent what the topic is about before the user clicks on it. "OH GOD WHAT AM I DOING" is not a good summary of this topic. "Feasibility of Calculator Internet: Redux" is a good title, because it indicates that you're trying to figure out how/if to create a program to access internet resources on a calculator, and it's your second or third topic on the subject here (hence Redux).

2) Please don't double-post, especially within 18 minutes. Bumping a topic is acceptable only after at least 12-24 hours, depending on factors like the urgency of the topic and whether you have any new information to add in your bump

3) As SirCmpwn says, HTML is amazingly hard, even for the simple stuff. Low-level TCP/IP is hard. Even CALCnet2.2 (Rthprog, it's *CALCnet or CALCnet2 or CALCnet2.2 or CALCnet 2.2) is very hard, and I haven't even attempted globalCALCnet yet. Any kind of OSI-compatible stack would take way more knowledge of ASM, networking, data structures, etc than I think you'll have for many, many years, perhaps even until you have an EE degree or two like yours truly. Wink

4) Qazz is correct that this is impossible in BASIC. ASM knowledge would be a must even to get something that could talk to an external internet bridge capable of doing summarization and such.

5) Telnet83 is a massively complex and well-made program. If you delve into the source code you'll see how the author managed to just barely fit the program in under the limit of the entire RAM of the TI-83, which has more RAM than the 83+.
Qazz42: Please consider this an official rebuke to be respectful, constructive, and non-disparaging of other Cemetech members. Please improve your conduct or face additional disciplinary consequences. This action is not based solely on this post, but on the general theme of your recent posts. In addition, multiple GMods and Administrators have concurred, as required.
Qazz, please refer to the above warning. Your post was non-constructive, mean, a waste of database space, and repeated things already stated in the topic. If you disagree, feel free to take up the issue in a PM with me.

RCPlanegy: Did you get a chance to check out my thoughts above on this issue?
Please note that the Internet and the World Wide Web are distinct concepts.

The Telnet program acts as a simple terminal emulator. "All" this is doing is sending characters typed on the calculator's keypad to the link port and displaying characters received from the link port on the display. The data transferred is ASCII with a few VT-100 control sequences (this allows you to do things like reposition the cursor). This is why you need a grey TI-Graph Link cable to convert the calculator's link protocol to RS-232 serial, which is then plugged into a modem. The calculator is not directly accessing the Internet; the computer on the remote end is, and you are communicating with that computer over a phone line with a modem.

For Internet access directly from the calculator you would some form of physical network connection and a TCP/IP stack. A piece of external hardware (using a microcontroller and an ethernet controller, for example) could supply this. Alternatively, you could plug the calculator into a PC and use that, which may be useful for prototying but not very good for portability (and why not use the PC, in that case?)

For web access you would need to implement HTTP (relatively straightforwards) and an HTML renderer (rather difficult and memory-consuming). I'd recommend setting up a proxy server system that crunches HTML down into a compact no-frills format that the calculator could more easily understand (this is the system Opera Mini uses to deliver the web to low-end mobile phones which, despite having an order of magnitude more processing power and memory still struggle to render even basic web pages).
I would implement IRC before HTTP, because it is a lot easier to render.
@SirCmpwn: precisely.

benryves wrote:
For web access you would need to implement HTTP (relatively straightforwards) and an HTML renderer (rather difficult and memory-consuming). I'd recommend setting up a proxy server system that crunches HTML down into a compact no-frills format that the calculator could more easily understand (this is the system Opera Mini uses to deliver the web to low-end mobile phones which, despite having an order of magnitude more processing power and memory still struggle to render even basic web pages).
Aka, exactly what I have in mind for the if-it-ever-gets-done globalCALCnet. Smile I would need either a computer or a fairly powerful microcontroller or embedded platform to perform the summarization and bridge the CALCnet2.2 and TCP/IP networks, or only perform the bridging and hand off the summarization to a remote or local server.
D: my dreams are destroyed now <tear> oh well gotta learn asm i guess... so were sure this is impossible? no way at all, right?
Not with basic, although you can make Email and chat programs with basic Very Happy (pff, with only a getcalc, the stuff you can do is pretty advanced )
so... how would the email work? like would it REALLY be online, or just connected to another calc?
Nah, just to another calc... but it is better than nothing with basic Smile
oh. hey, how do i delete topics, or can i? this one came to a dead end it looks like...
nope, we like necroposting too much to have topics deleted Razz

Only really bad spam topics are deleted, but only if they are containing really bad stuff. Otherwise it is locked Smile
rcplanegy wrote:
oh. hey, how do i delete topics, or can i? this one came to a dead end it looks like...
That's not how it works here. We don't delete a topic just because it reached a dead end, that would be quite pointless, as it would remove useful information for the future.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours