New version currently in development. It should work on the new 84+ models that have 48KB of RAM, and hopefully will have greater compatibility with Gameboy games. It will require unlocking flash and a slight rearrangement of ROM, backing up the contents of RAM in the process. I haven't gotten that far yet, so I am currently testing on Wabbitemu with a custom ROM.

And here are the current screenshots (showing the new and improved zoomed-out display mode):

That zoomed-out display mode is pretty impressive; I saw a screenshot of it a week or so ago when you were first working on it. I'm very impressed that you found the CPU power to support grayscale ditheringness for the zoom-out view while still eking out a good emulation speed.
Well, pretty much all I had to do was update the LCD 5 times per rendered frame instead of once. I'll probably have dither quality be a run-time option if you want to gain more speed by only updating once.
I remember playing through that particular section of Zelda, back in the day.
hmm, wow, this looks amazing... 2 questions tho

1. is there zooming in?
2. (I am pushing it here) castlevania screeny? pls?
Gogogogo, this looks nice so far, keep up that awesome work.
qazz42 wrote:

1. is there zooming in?
I'm really hoping so, considering that even with calc84's epic dithering efforts some of that black on white and even white on black text is a bit hard-to-read.
Quote:
He said it had about a 3x slowdown, so I doubt that would be something he would want to document in perpetuity in a screenshot. Razz
Yeah, it has a zoom-in mode. No half-zoom yet though, cause I've been too lazy to add it Razz
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

1. is there zooming in?
I'm really hoping so, considering that even with calc84's epic dithering efforts some of that black on white and even white on black text is a bit hard-to-read.
Quote:
He said it had about a 3x slowdown, so I doubt that would be something he would want to document in perpetuity in a screenshot. Razz

Ok, what about legends tho? I didnt catch that >.>
Castlevania Legends runs at about 1/2 speed, I think.
aww, a... I was placing my money on that one Sad
qazz42 wrote:
aww, a... I was placing my money on that one Sad
It's not his fault; from what I understood of what he was saying earlier, it's an issue with how the game designers chose to implement the innermost loop of the game.
I never accused him Razz

Darn, I was hoping I would be able to play a non-linear based castlevania on my calc, oh well, perhaps it can be fixed at some point :/

(hehe, I bring my DS into school tho Wink
qazz42 wrote:
I never accused him Razz

Darn, I was hoping I would be able to play a non-liner based castlevania on my calc, oh well, perhaps it can be fixed at some point :/

(hehe, I bring my DS into school tho Wink
"Non-liner based"? What does that mean? Also, your school lets you bring game gadgets in? I would think most teachers would confiscate them.

To avoid steering this topic too far afield, Calc84maniac (I'm so used to writing out CALCnet that I keep starting to type CALC84maniac), can you give us a brief outline of your timeline from here on out?
1. non-linear based means that instead of it being a RPG like zelda, you just go through the stage, and kill like in Mario

2. Yeah, I play it (the DS) on the bus

anywho, back on topic, I cant believe how great this is coming along, I hope you manage to get this into app form though Sad
Do you mean non-linear? That doesn't make sense if so...
Nice progress and good luck, calc84! Very Happy
qazz42 wrote:
1. non-linear based means that instead of it being a RPG like zelda, you just go through the stage, and kill like in Mario
I'm well-aware what non-linear means. I didn't know what non-liner meant. Razz

Quote:
2. Yeah, I play it (the DS) on the bus
Ah.

Quote:
anywho, back on topic, I cant believe how great this is coming along, I hope you manage to get this into app form though Sad
Errr, it isn't already? I'm almost positive it's already an app.
Nope, it's a ROM.
calc84maniac wrote:
Nope, it's a ROM.
Wait, so is it a full "OS" so to speak, then? Shock That would be pretty cool if so.
KermMartian wrote:
calc84maniac wrote:
Nope, it's a ROM.
Wait, so is it a full "OS" so to speak, then? Shock That would be pretty cool if so.

Well... only if we could rewrite the boot page on a real calc.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours