elfprince13 wrote:
It's possible that both my experience with Bullet and my OpenGL skills will be honed outside of Freebuild in the coming year. My physics professor has expressed interest in me writing a simulation program to test results for a problem he solved a while back in terms of a rigid body scenario, and it's possible that next fall I will be doing an Honors-level independent study in computer graphics. This bodes well for the Bullet integration with Torque.
I'm very happy to hear that, and I hope that means my beloved trains will get a chance to be implemented even sooner. Smile
I hope so too. Physics and gameplay are less tedious than low-level graphics-mucking.
elfprince13 wrote:
I hope so too. Physics and gameplay are less tedious than low-level graphics-mucking.
I can absolutely see how that would be the case, so it's a credit to you that you're choosing to attack the low-level graphics first with such gusto to get it functioning and out of the way. Smile
For those of you complaining about how long this has taken, it's really the same thing that Retail Blockland went through in between the BL0002 release. The Torque Game Engine is even less of a modern engine than it was back then, and just as much of an fps-and-not-sandbox oriented engine. I'd say 3.5 (where we are now) or even 4.5 years on a single-self-taught-developer hobby project isn't bad compared to 2 years for a professional game with multiple developers (one of whom was Ben Garney, a 5 year employee of the company that developed TGE, and whose primary responsibility was maintenance of core technology).
elfprince13 wrote:
For those of you complaining about how long this has taken,
Who's complaining? Shock They should be shunned.
Quote:
it's really the same thing that Retail Blockland went through in between the BL0002 release. The Torque Game Engine is even less of a modern engine than it was back then, and just as much of an fps-and-not-sandbox oriented engine. I'd say 3.5 (where we are now) or even 4.5 years on a single-self-taught-developer hobby project isn't bad compared to 2 years for a professional game with multiple developers (one of whom was Ben Garney, a 5 year employee of the company that developed TGE, and whose primary responsibility was maintenance of core technology).
Wow, I never even realized that it was anyone besides Badspot. Good to know.
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
For those of you complaining about how long this has taken,
Who's complaining? Shock They should be shunned.

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4677
http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4678
for example Wink
Quote:
Wow, I never even realized that it was anyone besides Badspot. Good to know.

Ben Garney is, afaik, solely responsible for the physics in Retail.
Didn't Badspot steal half the code in Retail anyway?
He may be a total asshat, but I'm not sure who or where you think he would have stolen the code from. From what I've been told, most of TBM's killer features (iGobs, switches, editor staff) are not part of RBL, and are in fact the antithesis of RBL culture.
elfprince13 wrote:
He may be a total asshat, but I'm not sure who or where you think he would have stolen the code from. From what I've been told, most of TBM's killer features (iGobs, switches, editor staff) are not part of RBL, and are in fact the antithesis of RBL culture.
I've heard tons of accusations of TBM stealing AiO/RTB code, and AiO stealing TBM/RTB code, and RTB stealing TBM/AiO code, but I've not heard much about BL002 or even RBL stealing that much.
I think he's referring to all the recycled garage games code used in the engine, which aren't exactly stolen, as they're free resources to begin with.
DShiznit wrote:
I think he's referring to all the recycled garage games code used in the engine, which aren't exactly stolen, as they're free resources to begin with.
Ah, then that makes sense, but calling them stolen isn't quite accurate imho. Razz
Exactly. It annoys me when people don't get their facts straight, even if they're on my side of an issue.

PS. Elf, it looks like your sig is stretching the page considerably
DShiznit: Ditto with the pet peeve, and sorry about my signature. Last.fm isn't wrapping that properly.....I'll go play a couple songs to push that one through.
Now that we're all in agreement, then, how are the Recent Updates going? Does CyberPrime have any specific tasks at the moment, or is it mostly the engine work that elfprince is doing for now?
Cyber is mostly working on spruce-ups at the moment. The engine overhaul is definitely a bit of a bottleneck as far as development goes.

[edit]
On that note, Cyber, it looks like a couple of your recent changes were made in the gui editor which overwrote the scripted definitions of some of the import gui features. In particular, the player gui, the color pallets, the editor staff gui, and the main menu come to mind as being dynamically constructed in a way that is unfriendly to editing in-engine. If you could delete the extraneous bitmap/button pairs added to the player gui, and restore the pref-based visibility settings on the login tabs for the main menu that would be great. These should be relatively easy to do by way of svn diff -r n where n is an earlier revision.
Ah, blarg. I totally forgot. Alright, I'll fix that up when I get a chance.
Thanks. That's one of those things that tends to introduce regressions into the code base on a regular basis, because it is definitely annoying to remember that the GUI editor breaks things.
Revision 408: Fixed an issue with the color pallet where it would throw all kinds of getobject errors if you used it too many times. Fixed an issue with the login tabs where it would show you as logged in though you weren't. Fixed an issue with the saved character loader where it would just load a character even if you hadn't selected one (Why give a drop down menu a command?) Fixed the cemetechguy saved character from blowing everything up.

EDIT: ElfPrince, once you get a chance I have a question about SVN for you. If I update a file to a previous version, and change it, and try to commit it it throws an error that the file isn't up to date. How can I get around this?
CyberPrime wrote:
Revision 408: Fixed an issue with the color pallet where it would throw all kinds of getobject errors if you used it too many times. Fixed an issue with the login tabs where it would show you as logged in though you weren't. Fixed an issue with the saved character loader where it would just load a character even if you hadn't selected one (Why give a drop down menu a command?) Fixed the cemetechguy saved character from blowing everything up.

EDIT: ElfPrince, once you get a chance I have a question about SVN for you. If I update a file to a previous version, and change it, and try to commit it it throws an error that the file isn't up to date. How can I get around this?
You need to pull down an update, then either automatically or manually merge the conflict that will result as necessary. Hopefully it can be done automatically.
CyberPrime wrote:

Do what Kerm said, but make sure you make small changes first so that the "clean" previous version doesn't just get overwritten when you pull the latest update.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours