Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.

Which forum header do you prefer?
Kerm's
 58%  [ 7 ]
Elf's
 16%  [ 2 ]
I'll make one and post it below for comment
 25%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 12

Most definitely agreed! Now I'm going to have to brainstorm some headers for some of the other sections, like ten calculators and a hub for the CALCnet subforum. Wink
crap, I forgot to nab the old phallic one for my archives... I suppose the way-back machine would still have it...
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Muuuchh. better.

Smile
Seconded! @Svenne, what do you mean exactly? Which logos?
The logos on the first page.
Also, ew jpg.
Svenne wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Muuuchh. better.

Smile
Seconded! @Svenne, what do you mean exactly? Which logos?
The logos on the first page.
Also, ew jpg.
Haha, they only look the same because in the process of collaborating we overwrote each others with back-and-forth versions, so in the end they are indeed exactly the same image. When this topic was created they were very different. And what do you have against jpeg? Some lossy compression allows you to toss out a significant percentage of the size with no extreme quality loss.
*bump* I just noticed that there's a single forum in the Building with Blocks category called Building with Blocks. That doesn't seem very sensible to me; I think either the [FB] subfora should be fora in the Building with Blocks category, or the whole Building with Blocks forum should be moved into the Cemetech Projects category.
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* I just noticed that there's a single forum in the Building with Blocks category called Building with Blocks. That doesn't seem very sensible to me; I think either the [FB] subfora should be fora in the Building with Blocks category, or the whole Building with Blocks forum should be moved into the Cemetech Projects category.


The reason I structured it that way was as a concession to the FB enthusiasts who expressed desire in having a dedicated link to the FB/Lego related fora without having to navigate the rest of Cemetech, and to avoid cluttering the non-FB related areas with a large number of subfora. It seemed easier to do that than to also rewrite the navigation-hierarchy/category display code to accommodate the desired effect.
But how is that different than having all the FB forums as fora in the Freebuild category? Razz Unless people don't like looking at closed category headers or something. :S
KermMartian wrote:
Unless people don't like looking at closed category headers or something. :S


This, and that categories aren't inserted into the navigation hierarchy links. (i.e., there's no way to jump from a topic or forum to the parent category, you have to go to the forum index and browse back down).
Mmm, I hear what you're saying; I just find that bottom category to be a bit ugly and bottom-heavy. Smile I'll keep pondering alternatives for now.
KermMartian wrote:
Mmm, I hear what you're saying; I just find that bottom category to be a bit ugly and bottom-heavy. Smile I'll keep pondering alternatives for now.


If you whipped up the category navigation/hide collapsed code (and the custom header code for that as well....) it would be great to collapse the hierarchy, and have the [FB] fora as direct children of the BwB category (while also keeping the BwB forum without any children).
That would probably be doable. I'd think about making BwB be the only category not to show hidden categories, but to be honest, I don't think anyone really uses that category view, so I might just remove it for everything.
KermMartian wrote:
That would probably be doable. I'd think about making BwB be the only category not to show hidden categories, but to be honest, I don't think anyone really uses that category view, so I might just remove it for everything.

Honestly, I'd think it would be easier to do it for everyone, based on the the cid that was fed in, rather than testing for a specific one. It would make sense to do it that way too if you added Cemetech Index -> Current Category navigation links in the collapsed view, and people might start using it a lot more.
Err, I'm not positive I understand you, but you're saying just display only the current cid=category when the cid is specified? Sounds good to me. The breadcrumbs might be problematic; I'd actually like them to be forum -> category -> topic everywhere on the forum, including in topics.
KermMartian wrote:
Err, I'm not positive I understand you, but you're saying just display only the current cid=category when the cid is specified? Sounds good to me. The breadcrumbs might be problematic; I'd actually like them to be forum -> category -> topic everywhere on the forum, including in topics.

Well, Index -> Category -> Forum [ -> Subforum] -> Topic is what I was thinking for the second, but yes. Between those two changes, and setting up single-category views to allow a custom header image also based on the current cid=category, that the single-category view might actually be significantly more useful.
Indeed, I definitely agree. I'll have to add this to my infinite to-do list of infinityness right after the little subforum category images.
KermMartian wrote:
Indeed, I definitely agree. I'll have to add this to my infinite to-do list of infinityness right after the little subforum category images.


Winsauce! Hooray! Are you content keeping the slightly awkward BwB hierarchy in place until then? I think it helps keep the denizens who bookmark http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=26 content.
KermMartian wrote:
Svenne wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Muuuchh. better.

Smile
Seconded! @Svenne, what do you mean exactly? Which logos?
The logos on the first page.
Also, ew jpg.
Haha, they only look the same because in the process of collaborating we overwrote each others with back-and-forth versions, so in the end they are indeed exactly the same image. When this topic was created they were very different. And what do you have against jpeg? Some lossy compression allows you to toss out a significant percentage of the size with no extreme quality loss.
    Using JPEG is unneccesary on such a small image. Almost noone uses Dial-up anymore. Also, I can clearly see artifacts on and around the calculator buttons.
@Elfprince: I am
@Svenne: If I get 500,000 monthly hits on Freebuild-related pages, I'd be very interested in saving 500K*40K = 20000K = 20 megabytes transferred. If I'm always careful about minimizing image size (which I am) I save appreciable fractions of gigabytes of transfer.
I like the idea of a custom logo for the FB sections. I remember seeing a forum where the banner had different text and slightly modified image based on which sub-board you were in. Also the logo is nice Smile
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
I like the idea of a custom logo for the FB sections. I remember seeing a forum where the banner had different text and slightly modified image based on which sub-board you were in. Also the logo is nice Smile
Thanks very much, DJ. Smile I need to draw up some headers for some others of the different sections, but the backend code and database framework is all there now to support arbitrary headers.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 5 of 7
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement