A friend and I have started a coding club at our school. We started it a couple weeks ago and have gathered ~20 members. We only meet for an hour once a week. For the past couple weeks we have been just teaching Python (basically saying "this is a list, this is how you use it") and have had them follow along and make a few simple things.
But this week we'd kinda like to do something more interactive, where we sort of give a prompt, and then people get together into groups (or work alone), and make something that fits the prompt. Most of the people in the club have minimal coding experience.
Anyone have any ideas for some very simple projects that could be completed in ~an hour?
What concepts have you covered? How about a program that utilizes lists and sorts data in various ways.

If you can tell us what you have covered so far we'd be able to better provide ideas for your next project. I can provide ideas, sure, but what if I suggest something that may slightly be over their heads?
Sorry, yes you are right. We have covered how to manipulate lists, strings and variables. Also how to display text and use bool/loops. We haven't covered functions yet, but we will teach them that soon.
Not necessarily on-topic, but if they become really interested into programming and want to create stuff, then you could maybe try to invite them here Razz
DJ_O wrote:
Not necessarily on-topic, but if they become really interested into programming and want to create stuff, then you could maybe try to invite them here Razz

I already have recommended a few actually! 2 people in it know Axe and have made a few simple games on there.
Maybe a text-based RPG. That's usually pretty simple, but can be pretty fun!
Maybe a 20Q type of thing; give them a few things the program should be able to guess, and they it has to be able to do it in a certain number of moves.
Wow, you have had far better luck than I have. It took my friend and I two years to assemble even a small consistent number of people who knew hardly anything about programming. Because it was too difficult to get them all to do something programming-related, though, he stopped managing the club and it essentially died.
oldmud0 wrote:
Wow, you have had far better luck than I have. It took my friend and I two years to assemble even a small consistent number of people who knew hardly anything about programming. Because it was too difficult to get them all to do something programming-related, though, he stopped managing the club and it essentially died.
Sorry it turned out that way for you. :/ I guess we kind of lucked out because there seem to be a lot at our school who are interested in programming.

[quote = "GTemples27"]Maybe a text-based RPG. That's usually pretty simple, but can be pretty fun!
Maybe a 20Q type of thing; give them a few things the program should be able to guess, and they it has to be able to do it in a certain number of moves.[/quote]
Thanks for the suggestions. What do you mean by a text based RPG? Do you mean something where the program would say "You are in a room" and then you get to like choose which door you go through? That sounds sort of complicated, but I guess I've never made one before.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours