Uber-necrobump! Because I noticed there suddenly is a higher demand for HCWP on the east side of the puddle, I'd like to take the initiative for an EU video call session at 20:00 GMT every Wednesday. To keep things centralized I thought it'd be nice if we could use the same room, so that users who want to continue in the US part of the event can stay in the room, like I did last week (it got way too [s]late[/s]early, you guys are way too good to hang out with ^^')

Thoughts?
Involving our European and other non-US Cemetech and community members in HCWP has been an ongoing issue, so I applaud you for coming up with an idea to ameliorate that. I certainly support having a secondary "official" HCWP time at 20:00 GMT (3pm EST), especially since some of our US users tend to get on as early as 6pm sometimes. Please spread the word here and elsewhere, and let's see how many people can make it. If it's a lot, then I'll news it up and we can make it a truly official thing.
We also need to find a way to get more than 10 users in the room at a time as well, would be helpful. It's been filling up of an evening a lot lately. We also need to curb all this video game playing that seems to happen when people join hcwp Wink
tifreak8x wrote:
We also need to find a way to get more than 10 users in the room at a time as well, would be helpful. It's been filling up of an evening a lot lately. We also need to curb all this video game playing that seems to happen when people join hcwp Wink
I think we've actually made a lot of progress on the latter. For the past three weeks or so, I feel like people have stayed very on-topic with programming and hardware and calculators.

Edit: We keep hitting the 10-participant limit, so we have been exploring alternatives. Currently, we're testing jit.si, via https://meet.jit.si/ .
Quick report on yesterday's EU part: We got 3 EU/ME-based members online (Streetwalrus, Sorunome, me), plus pimathbrainiac and ldstudios (the latter only logged on). Next week I hope to expect more members because the time is set now. I might not be able to join though because I have something I have to attend to IRL Sad Streetwalrus worked on the png->axe pics format thing for Illusiat XI, and I added a pause function for Tetris. I think this is a good start already Smile
Thanks for that report, aeTIos! I'm glad to hear that people were joining up, and moreover that they were working on actual HCWP-related projects. Hooray.
I don't know if this has been done before, but, since the room has been filling up every Wednesday, what if you livestream it on Twitch or something? Then people could still hear you guys talk even though they wouldn't be able to talk themselves, but I don't think that would be a problem for some. People could send questions in the livestream chat. You could still use the G+ chatroom or you could move to skype depending on the call limit there (I don't know what that would be is it 10 as well? I've been in 8 or 9 person calls before so I'm not sure) and maybe have someone monitor the livestream chat and take questions and you guys could talk about the questions and stuff. I think Twitch has a 20 second delay between between chat and the livestream display, so you would need someone to constantly monitor the chat (I wouldn't mind doing that honestly and whoever does that could just send Kerm or whoever the questions in skype so he would get alerts and stuff). Just my two cents.
Another thought would be to move to voice only with a mumble server or something similar. More then 10 members with video going will start to get rather hectic.
Being able to share screens between everybody like we can do right now is a good thing though, and going voice only wouldn't allow that which is a major drawback.
The problem with livestreaming it is the lag for those listening and the lack of proper participation that they would be able to have with sharing screens etc.

KermMartian wrote:

Edit: We keep hitting the 10-participant limit, so we have been exploring alternatives. Currently, we're testing jit.si, via https://meet.jit.si/ .

webkit based browsers only Sad
It says it is open source. So people could find a way to make it work for non webkit based browsers if they wanted to whereas when using nonfree software you are the mercy of the developer, that is you have no easy way to modify the program.
HCWP would be better if one Omnimaga user I will not name did not constantly mute random people for no reason. Granted, it only happened way before HCWP timeframe but it's quite annoying. Should such privilege only be reserved to Cemetech staff?
Chauronslilsis wrote:
I don't know if this has been done before, but, since the room has been filling up every Wednesday, what if you livestream it on Twitch or something? Then people could still hear you guys talk even though they wouldn't be able to talk themselves, but I don't think that would be a problem for some. People could send questions in the livestream chat.
That is a very good idea, actually. Unfortunately, it feels more like a stopgap measure than a long-term solution.

Quote:
I think Twitch has a 20 second delay between between chat and the livestream display, so you would need someone to constantly monitor the chat (I wouldn't mind doing that honestly and whoever does that could just send Kerm or whoever the questions in skype so he would get alerts and stuff). Just my two cents.
That's definitely something we should consider if we don't find a way to expand beyond Hangouts.

Eeems wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

webkit based browsers only Sad
It's in progress. Firefox 35 will bring multistream WebRTC support: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/issues/4

DJ_O wrote:
HCWP would be better if one Omnimaga user I will not name did not constantly mute random people for no reason. Granted, it only happened way before HCWP timeframe but it's quite annoying. Should such privilege only be reserved to Cemetech staff?
I'm not familiar with this ever happening on modern HCWP, at least within the past three or four years.
The web client is basically a no-go right now. Focus has moved to the native Jitsi client. More testing is needed to get rid of audio stuttering/distortion and test using a conference call.

Jitsi's desktop sharing does full screen (for me, 3200x1200) or a fixed-size selection of the screen.

I will keep looking for other options.

Also, note that Hangouts lets you get a youtube stream for those who just want to listed. I don't know if chat is linked.
Kind of necroposting this out of the dusty old realms of Cemetech, but this is the most relevant topic I could find...

If all goes well, next Wednesday, Botboy3000 and I will be on HCWP to attempt to connect some calculators to gCn. We have both unsuccessfully attempted this in the past, and now intend to get it working once and for all. However, our odds of succeeding are directly correlated to the amount of people and by extension, brain power, that will be present. This is why I would like to invite anybody and everybody to join us Wednesday Decmeber 14th at 8:00 pm EST in the HCWP hangouts.
See you there!
Excellent, it's always good to have specific projects and questions for yourself (or others). I will definitely try to be there to help.
I should be there to help as well. Some plans pending Very Happy
Is there any way to get these recorded? While I can't really watch them at that time, (7 is a bad time for me) it would nice to have it recorded with bandicam or camtasia or something.
Thanks.
Considering how terribly off-topic these often get, we haven't bothered to record them. The very early ones were much more structured, in which case recording them would have made a lot more sense. How about we record them if we're going to have a very structured/lesson-y session, and not if it's going to be a week with no particular goal other than hanging out and programming? Smile
Sounds great I would love to see that.. I've been programming for a long time. I would like to upgrade my knowledge, I just post programs every now and again, stuff I learned yonks ago. I cannot program in c I haven't got a clue...when I got a PC back in 95, I went straight into qbasic, that's were I've been stuck at, BBC basic with its built in compiler helped, but they were just loops and counters filling the screen memory with various patterns. I started writing my programs down in a notebook not much order to it, but it does help. I wrote one for amstrad nc200 which was a z80 based computer it had BBC basic and an assembler, i got quite good at writing machine code and then I got to the end of everything a 6mhz z80 and no more new ideas I understood the machine enough to move on,
KermMartian wrote:
Considering how terribly off-topic these often get, we haven't bothered to record them. The very early ones were much more structured, in which case recording them would have made a lot more sense. How about we record them if we're going to have a very structured/lesson-y session, and not if it's going to be a week with no particular goal other than hanging out and programming? Smile

Just hanging out and (maybe) programming is fun though! Very Happy

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 20 of 20
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours