A Panasonic Lumix. Yes. It's a camera model line, but now it's also a phone.

When my contract expires, you can bet I'll be jumping to whatever carrier has this camera! Any opinions from you guys about this real "camera phone?"

13.1 MP camera with Optical Zooming.

That, sir, is a gigantic LCD. Can you tell me about quick specs?
I'm scouring the web for details but they are sparse at the moment.

Wired wrote:
Panasonic is teasing us with a few details of the Lumix Phone, containing a 13.2 megapixel CMOS sensor and a 3.3-inch VGA LCD*. It will be the same size as the iPhone, only twice as thick, at 17.7mm.

*Camera LCDs are usually measured in dots, which is actually triple the amount of pixels. This makes the Lumix Camera’s screen an impressive 900,000-dots: 640 x 480 x 3 = 921,600. I think. My maths is quite terrible.
13.3 megapixels is pretty impressive, although as we've previously discussed, I'd rather have a big image sensor than a dense image sensor. I hope the further details of this as they are revealed will continue to live up to your expections! When does your contract expire, about 20 months from now?
Just buy a real camera instead of making it tied to your phone. Jack of all trades, master of none.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Just buy a real camera instead of making it tied to your phone. Jack of all trades, master of none.
I think Nikky actually has a good point here. If you're going to be that beefy with your camera, you should probably just get a camera.
merthsoft wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
I think Nikky actually has a good point here. If you're going to be that beefy with your camera, you should probably just get a camera.
A related point, if I was considering getting this I might be concerned that they put so much effort into the camera (or phone) that they neglected to make it a good phone (or camera).
I do agree as well. Not every phone has to be "king of the apps." I think that this phone will focus on more of the camera than on the phone itself. Note how phones these days are focusing on the phone with a side of camera: 2MP, 5MP & 8MP photos with super small sensors.

I think this phone will be a full-fledged compact camera - larger sensor, real flash, optical zoom, etc with a side of phone. If you catch my drift.

The "camera phone" will be a touch screen. It'll be great if it runs a modified version of Android or uses another, brand specific OS.
KermMartian wrote:

3.3" is smaller than most smartphone displays Razz

Likewise, 640x480 is rather low res, and probably wrong since that really doesn't look like a 4:3 AR on that display.

Personally I don't care about the camera on my phone. I'm waiting for the dual core Cortex A9 phones myself.
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

3.3" is smaller than most smartphone displays Razz
Yeah, but larger than most camera displays. Wink

Kllrnohj wrote:
Likewise, 640x480 is rather low res, and probably wrong since that really doesn't look like a 4:3 AR on that display.

Personally I don't care about the camera on my phone. I'm waiting for the dual core Cortex A9 phones myself.
Yeah, those look promising. Anything in particular that you have your eye on?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours