BWAHAHAHAHA. HAHAHAHAHA. This is just sad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_Forever

Wikipedia wrote:
On September 3, 2010 Duke Nukem Forever was officially reported by Take-Two to be in development at Gearbox Software,[1] with an expected release date of 2011

More details:
http://www.gamepron.com/news/2010/09/03/duke-nukem-forever/
lol
I watched a live stream from PAX when people were playing it and it looks pretty good. Only time will tell if it was worth the 12 year wait (I doubt it somewhat, but it should be fun). Always bet on Duke!
Quote:
the game has been in development since 1997 by 3DRealms and led by director George

lol since 1997? now thats just sad
Need I remind you that Prey looked like this in 1998?

It wasn't released until 2006. 3D Realms (RIP) liked to take their time. Smile
Or, in the somewhat less kind words of popular video-game reviewer from Australia, Yahtzee:

(entertaining, highly recommended)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/748
they've got a story about it on yahoo now too

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/surprise-duke-nukem-forever-uncanceled-playable-at-pax/1409763
Rhombus P. wrote:
"And this time it's real, we swear!" I'll believe it when I see it. Razz
Oh I get it, Duke Nukem [i[Forever[/i], because it's been in development that long. Clever. Any news on what engine it will be using, or is it gonna be another gimmicky Unreal clone?
DShiznit wrote:
Oh I get it, Duke Nukem [i[Forever[/i], because it's been in development that long. Clever. Any news on what engine it will be using, or is it gonna be another gimmicky Unreal clone?
Considering that it's been in development for 14 years, I'm sorta hoping they wrote their own engine. :/

Some interesting info in this thread, including that along the way two versions got scrapped due to getting way too old, making the current one the third (maybe even fourth?) DNF, and that it may be based on the Unreal Engine 3.

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16516
DShiznit wrote:

No, Duke Nukem Forever is the actual name of the game - and has been since it's original announcement 14 years ago. It's turned into a joke, but that isn't a nickname.
Kllrnohj wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

No, Duke Nukem Forever is the actual name of the game - and has been since it's original announcement 14 years ago. It's turned into a joke, but that isn't a nickname.
I think he was just trying to sound clever. Wink I hope they realize that this game has to one-up sliced bread, Portal, and most deities rolled into one to get any positive reviews after this much waiting.
I gave up on Duke Nukem Forever years ago. When they release it, I'll buy though! I totally forgot they were making that game. Duke3d is the best FPS ever. It really sets the bar for all the other FPS games that they make anymore.
adept wrote:
I gave up on Duke Nukem Forever years ago. When they release it, I'll buy though! I totally forgot they were making that game. Duke3d is the best FPS ever. It really sets the bar for all the other FPS games that they make anymore.
I'm ashamed to say that I've never played Duke3D myself, although I've played several UT2004 levels that were supposed to be based on it. I may indeed have to buy the game myself if it actually comes out.
how can you claim to be a nerd and not have played Duke3d! Very Happy I used to play it all the time, and it came out when I was real young. I guess it mighta ruined my childhood, sneaking back on my dad's computer and playing violent games like that. Just makes life more fun when you sneak stuff!
adept wrote:
how can you claim to be a nerd and not have played Duke3d! Very Happy I used to play it all the time, and it came out when I was real young. I guess it mighta ruined my childhood, sneaking back on my dad's computer and playing violent games like that. Just makes life more fun when you sneak stuff!
Mainly because I didn't really have a computer until I was about 11 years old, and even then it was a Win95 computer, good for word processing for school and not much else. Not until age 19 did I have my very own laptop.
Your dad didn't have a work computer at all? Well that's unfortunate. Some of the funnest things I've ever done with computers, I did on my dad's computer, really late at night. Duke 3d really didn't run in 95, did it? Well, you can probably find it Abandonware or something, cuz its so old anymore.
Yeah, I probably could. I think I'm probably looking forward to Yahtzee's review of it as much as the actual game itself; indeed, I'm looking forward to all the reviews.
If your computer could run Windows 95, it could probably play Duke Nukem 3D. Then again, I'm not sure an 11-year-old should be playing Duke Nukem 3D. Razz A decent knowledge of 1980s/1990s action/horror films makes the game much more enjoyable too. This video shows the first level.
Wow, the UT2004 level that I played is a near-perfect rendition of that level then, right down to the air vents. That reminds me of many many fun days spent playing multiplayer Doom. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours