shmibs wrote:
ooh, flashy! i love the (EDIT:MS paint-esque) style. i'd love to see you finish/rewrite and make this better(and i'd better get moving with C++ if i want to catch up)

as for what quick prog to write: i think BenRyves idea was a great one. demos are always impressive and are easy to make on short notice as there is virtually no planning involved
Demos are certainly amazingly cool, but I'd personally approach them methodically and using the usual programming and optimization tricks that I know, but I usually assume they do something more advanced than that. One of these days I should try a demo.
Thanks for the ideas guys. I might try a demo, and if that doesn't work out, try and find all the recourses needed to continue my FPS. If none of that works, I could pick up AGS and use it, as it is almost exactly C++ syntax for object based stuff.
I had an idea for a game that I think might be simple enough to work: a top-down version of Khet. Bonus points for laser animations and a competent AI.
DShiznit wrote:
I had an idea for a game that I think might be simple enough to work: a top-down version of Khet. Bonus points for laser animations and a competent AI.

Oh wowowow, that looks amazing. It does sound simple enough to do, but I can't do it. Firstly becasue stated earlier I can't do AI besides randomness, and secondly because it has to be for the computer.
I could code this is computer BASIC though....

But now that I saw that video, I really want to buy it. Good find.
I have it on the coffee table in front of me now. Unfortunately, I have no friends to play with Sad
DShiznit wrote:
I have it on the coffee table in front of me now. Unfortunately, I have no friends to play with Sad

So sad, you should stream it and challenge the internets, that would be a fun day. Razz
That would be awesome to play DShiznit over the internet. Laughing And EpicFail, just because you haven't done anything AIish before doesn't mean that you can't; you have to start somewhere. Razz
Try a checker's AI Razz That's what I've been wanting to do for a while, and it doesn't seem that hard imo. When I get home, I'm going to try working with that stuff you gave me.
_player1537 wrote:
Try a checker's AI Razz That's what I've been wanting to do for a while, and it doesn't seem that hard imo. When I get home, I'm going to try working with that stuff you gave me.
For something even easier, try writing a Tic-Tac-Toe AI.
Wierd, I found a TTT AI to be extremly difficult. The main reason because there isn't really any skill, anything to try and do, involved in it. idk, just me probably Razz
_player1537 wrote:
Wierd, I found a TTT AI to be extremly difficult. The main reason because there isn't really any skill, anything to try and do, involved in it. idk, just me probably Razz
On the contrary, there are so few combinations of moves that it's very easy to check if you have a perfect AI. If you do, and you make it play itself, it will always win or draw when it goes first, or always lose or draw when it goes second.
Here we go, you gotta check this out.

Changes:
Added music
Added running
Head bobbing when you walk
Faster bobbing when you run
Ambient Noise
Rain
Changed keys
Textures
Noise on each footstep
Removed crouching
Made jumping more realistic
New place to test this stuff out in

New Keys:
wasd for movement
mouse for looking
space for jumping
backspace to quit
up arrow to start running
down to walk again

When the game starts, you must click twice to get it to begin (I did this for something small, will get rid of later)

Download it here!

Tell me what you think, is this still a good idea to continue down?
Whoa, you mean you just added all these features? That's pretty epic, if I may say so myself!
KermMartian wrote:
Whoa, you mean you just added all these features? That's pretty epic, if I may say so myself!

Why thank you good sir, I had to rack my brain for quite a while thinking what would make it more realistic, and even more on how to get the head bobing to work (some strange if and while statements).
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Why thank you good sir, I had to rack my brain for quite a while thinking what would make it more realistic, and even more on how to get the head bobing to work (some strange if and while statements).
How much low level coding did you have to do for this stuff, like for the rain and other ambient sounds?
KermMartian wrote:
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

How much low level coding did you have to do for this stuff, like for the rain and other ambient sounds?

Well to activate them is as simple as typing the command.
For the rain I set it to a loop at the beginning of the level, and that's done and over with. As for the steps, I had a good 100 lines of code for sounds and bobing. The rain took about 50, for it is just random blue pixels moving downward. I'm quite concerned about the size, considering it be 26 megabytes. I looked and saw the sounds were taking up about 1, the music about 10, and textures/data for the rest.
Fascinating; I'm ashamed to say that I haven't tried downloading this yet, so I shall do so soon and give you my feedback. In answer to your question that I didn't address, though, I think you definitely should continue pursuing this.
KermMartian wrote:
Fascinating; I'm ashamed to say that I haven't tried downloading this yet, so I shall do so soon and give you my feedback. In answer to your question that I didn't address, though, I think you definitely should continue pursuing this.

It's quite a big download for such little content so far, but since I have over 100 textures now, I estimate final size to be 50 mb or so, with an optional music pack. If the pack isn't found, it will play a much smaller midi file.

Thanks for the support, all of you should try it out, and if I want to continue this project after my week is up, I'd gladly take suggestions on what else to include.
Yeah, I like the idea of having the content separate from the engine for just that reason; I think it's something you should consider sooner rather than later.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours