My friend wants to prove I can code the computer, so he gave me a challenge. Make a program in a week, no restrictions except it must be made on and for the computer, and it must be mine. So I said I'd accept, but it'd be next weekend. So I need program ideas. I know C++ and BASIC fluently, keep that in mind. What kind of program should I make? Note that the final product should be impressive, not cliché or simple.
write a line plotting program that can graph all the parent functions
hr088730 wrote:
Can you specify what you mean by parent functions? Do you mean that it can graph multiple simultaneous equations, or that it can graph different families of functions (quadratic, trigonometic, etc)?

xXEpicxXXxFailXx, I challenge you to show your "fluency" in C++ by doing something with sockets and timers, even if it's as simple as something that fetches a page like the RSS feed from Cemetech to gauge how frequently it changes or something.
You could write a demo. That way you can keep adding new effects during the week as you find the time.
benryves wrote:
You could write a demo. That way you can keep adding new effects during the week as you find the time.
Speaking of demos, BenRyves, I'm always extremely impressed by the ones that you have created, both for DOS and in z80 ASM. One of these days I need to browse through your source to see how you came up with such impressive stuff.
KermMartian wrote:
hr088730 wrote:
Can you specify what you mean by parent functions? Do you mean that it can graph multiple simultaneous equations, or that it can graph different families of functions (quadratic, trigonometic, etc)?

xXEpicxXXxFailXx, I challenge you to show your "fluency" in C++ by doing something with sockets and timers, even if it's as simple as something that fetches a page like the RSS feed from Cemetech to gauge how frequently it changes or something.

Graph equations simutaneouly, and graph translations of parent functions
I'm still not entirely sure what you mean by a parent function. Are you say just a translation (ie, shifting vertically and/or horizontally) of another function?
I guess I should've been more specific

Parent functions are
1. Cubic: x^3
2. Quadratic: x^2
3. Linear: X
4. Cubic Root: cubic of x
5. Absolute Value: |x|
6. Square root: sqaure of x

translations are what moves it up down left to right

hope that helps

This is basic Algebra
I'm familiar with translations, as I specified above, but describing the set of 1x^n functions for n={0.5, 1, 2, 3} and |x| as "parent functions" is a new concept to me, and I have two degrees of higher education. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
I'm familiar with translations, as I specified above, but describing the set of 1x^n functions for n={0.5, 1, 2, 3} and |x| as "parent functions" is a new concept to me, and I have two degrees of higher education. Wink

well i'm still in HS, how is that a new concept to you?
hr088730 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

well i'm still in HS, how is that a new concept to you?
Allow me to quote some random site on the internet:

"There is no such thing as a "parent function." Recently, with increased use of graphing calculators and transformation geometry, math educators have called the most basic functions [those listed on the face of the calculator and some others] parent functions. Functions which include or are derived from these functions are called related functions."

That was not the terminology used when I first took Algebra in 5th or 6th grade or so. Razz I see now that it's in somewhat wide usage, so now we're clear and I see what you mean. Since this topic has gotten a bit sidetracked, let's get back to thinking of cool short program ideas for xxEpicxxxxFailxx.
haha yes I think we should
hr088730 wrote:
So I like your idea of a grapher in C++; I think that would be fun, especially if xxEpicxxxxFailxx used the nCurses library to do ASCII-art-style graphing.
Ok, just caught up with these posts.

Kerm: I never ventured into sockets too far, all my programs were/are offline. I don't quite understand how the packets work and such. Looking at my original post, I meant for it to say, "I know C++, and I know BASIC fluently" but I grammar failed. I'm not an expert at c++ by far besides offline, object oriented games built into .exe's. I can whip up an example sometime (maybe tomorrow) of what I can do in C++, though if you want. My best work was an FPS engine (with help from some friends) that couldn't do much besides moving around, I never finished it, so I might dig it up and post it.

hr088730: A grapher is easy enough to do, and possible for me. Thanks for an idea.

benryves: I could, thanks for the tip.
Ah, that makes more sense, EpicFail. Thanks for clarifying that. Smile What variety of BASIC in particular are you most familiar with the syntax of?
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, that makes more sense, EpicFail. Thanks for clarifying that. Smile What variety of BASIC in particular are you most familiar with the syntax of?

Regular ol' BASIC, like the kind they used in Atari, if that makes sense to you, not to mention TI-BASIC Very Happy.

Btw, I found my old FPS project on my old computer. Want me to upload and give link?
KermMartian wrote:
hr088730 wrote:
So I like your idea of a grapher in C++; I think that would be fun, especially if xxEpicxxxxFailxx used the nCurses library to do ASCII-art-style graphing.

I just know intrensic JS and HTML so I have no idea what you're talking about haha
YES. Definitley post it! How does it work? Raycasting or another variety? And language?
_player1537 wrote:
YES. Definitley post it! How does it work? Raycasting or another variety? And language?

A variety of everything. It's in C++ with some DLL's.
I don't have the source anymore, sadly. All I have is the built .exe and model files used.

Download here

Please note before starting.
you need to extract the files and run the application "killers"
Space is jump, z is crouch, and arrows to move.
It locks the mouse, so you press backspace to quit.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Regular ol' BASIC, like the kind they used in Atari, if that makes sense to you, not to mention TI-BASIC Very Happy.

Btw, I found my old FPS project on my old computer. Want me to upload and give link?
But of course! I think that would be awesome. And I see that you already posted it by the time I wrote this. Very nice!

@hr088730: Stick around here for a while and you'll pick up a lot of different languages. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours