benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
One of my biggest complaints with Opera is that it's turning into the emacs of browsers. It wants to be everything: your FTP client, your IRC client, your browser, etc.
On the other hand, it is still very fast and a relatively small download even with all those features built in, and the features are hidden until you set them up (no chat panel until you set up an IRC account, no mail panel until you subscribe to a feed or add an email account). I reckon an IRC client and email client are far more appropriate features for an Internet suite than a weather gadget! Smile
Not to mention they are more or less the only modern browser that still supports Win98 and I do have one or two old laptops I like to mess with that are still running that.
I'm typing this post from Firefox. That is all.
my avatar explains everything Very Happy
Not that this will make too terribly much of a difference, I figured I ought to link some statistics to show that Firefox won't be leaving without a fight.
Safari is terrible though x.x

It crashed out PC a bit more than IE...
MufinMcFlufin wrote:
Not that this will make too terribly much of a difference, I figured I ought to link some statistics to show that Firefox won't be leaving without a fight.
Not leaving without a fight? It's consistently gaining market share. Very Happy
hey, notice how the graph looks just like the firefox logo?
MufinMcFlufin wrote:

Hehe, you sound as if you support Chrome instead of Firefox. Razz
But indeed, the Mozilla team are working extra hard this year for the FF4 release. They know that this is the product that will decide if they'll stay in the competition (better yet, overrun it), or become irrelevant.

@KermMartian: So? To me, that graph is actually showing that Firefox's market share is shrinking. Even the nicest of graphs will show that growth is slowing (or stopped, even!) Chrome is nibbling away at their market share. They've gotta step up their game and prove to the world that they aren't just a slow, bulky browser, but a fast, efficient one. If they don't... they're doomed. Look at IE - dwindling over the years, even with updates. I sincerely hope Firefox won't become that. (And it won't - I don't think the team is that dumb, but they do need a smack every now and then to bring them back from the clouds and into reality. Hint: the fiasco with GUI design vs. usability and speed.)

@DShiznit: Yup, just like every other graph with that shape. Wink
To me, that looks more of a wave logo that I've seen somewhere for a very big company....
Hey, I personally think Firefox and Chrome will both stay...

IE is to much of a tard

remember, it is put into each computer with Windows, so some less computer literate will think it is the only brower
IE's a decent enough browser with some excellent features (the Visual Studio-style integrated debugger is top notch, for example). Microsoft have done some good work in 7, 8 and 9 towards making it standards-compliant, having twiddled their thumbs for far too long with 6.
then do explain how 8 managed to crash my computer without add-ons
I don't know, not being psychic. Smile Attach a debugger to IE 8 if you'd like to find out.
benryves wrote:
IE's a decent enough browser with some excellent features (the Visual Studio-style integrated debugger is top notch, for example). Microsoft have done some good work in 7, 8 and 9 towards making it standards-compliant, having twiddled their thumbs for far too long with 6.
I appreciate that they are trying to make strides in the right direction, but I feel that in the minds of many technologically-savvy individuals (although not in the eyes of the general public) Microsoft's longstanding failures at making IE standards-compliant or secure have done possibly irreparable damage to the browser's reputation.
"Technologically-savvy" meaning "people who spell Microsoft M$", presumably? Razz
benryves wrote:
"Technologically-savvy" meaning "people who spell Microsoft M$", presumably? Razz
I feel that there is a strong correlation between technological knowledge and hatred of Microsoft, yes.
I'm afraid I've found the opposite; the sort of people I encounter who "hate Microsoft" are the sort who have a small technical knowledge and have taken an ideological stance rather than one that is based on any technological issues. You'll often find them commenting on Slashdot articles. Smile
benryves wrote:
I'm afraid I've found the opposite; the sort of people I encounter who "hate Microsoft" are the sort who have a small technical knowledge and have taken an ideological stance rather than one that is based on any technological issues. You'll often find them commenting on Slashdot articles. Smile

As someone who has worked (in a paid capacity) as a web-applications programmer (in Java, Ruby, PHP, and Python), a high school tech support assistant, and a Beowulf-cluster administrator, and an independent software contractor, not to mention the countless repair jobs I've done for friends/family/community, I can tell you that my hate for Microsoft products is outweighed only by my hate for lusers and incompetent network administrators.

[edit]

Though I will admit to ideological hatred on the grounds that they bought out a Mac game studio and proceeded to turn them into the killer-app team for the Xbox while discontinuing development for Apple computers. That's besides the point.
elfprince13 wrote:
benryves wrote:

As someone who has worked (in a paid capacity) as a web-applications programmer (in Java, Ruby, PHP, and Python), a high school tech support assistant, and a Beowulf-cluster administrator, and an independent software contractor, not to mention the countless repair jobs I've done for friends/family/community, I can tell you that my hate for Microsoft products is outweighed only by my hate for lusers and incompetent network administrators.
I'm more with Elfprince, although I'll be the first to admit that my hatred of IE is a gut instinct as much as anything based on logic this late in the game, and that I'm happy to be a Windows user on all my non-server computers.
KermMartian wrote:
I'm more with Elfprince, although I'll be the first to admit that my hatred of IE is a gut instinct as much as anything based on logic this late in the game

This is because you've never had payment at stake to get it to render things the same way as a standards complaint browser.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
I'm more with Elfprince, although I'll be the first to admit that my hatred of IE is a gut instinct as much as anything based on logic this late in the game

This is because you've never had payment at stake to get it to render things the same way as a standards complaint browser.
This is true, and although I've had some headaches trying to get IE to fall in line with other browsers in the past (case in point: the PngFix that is in every Cemetech page), I haven't gotten caught in as insanely annoying stuff as I have heard in some horror stories, some of which I think have been from you, others from Swivelgames, etc.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours