Well I've been having a couple of problems since downloading the newest OS on my TI84 SE...

1) wouldn't send or back up ANY of my files on my computer until i deleted DCS7 (which makes me FURIOUS) Evil or Very Mad

2) after deleting DCS7 (grrrr) it only restored 74 programs/files, then stopped and TICONNECT gave me all kinds of 'err:' messages.

3) attempting all downloads form the internet of calculator games resulted in similar error messages as in #2.

4) Back when i STILL HAD dcs7, the calc would periodically crash, with no notice, and clear all ram (double grrr...)

please note ALL of these problems ocurred AFTER installing the 2.53MP OS on my calc. I will attept to get the previous version back and see if that helps any.

any ideas of why the HECK this is happening??? I'm getting really peeved at TI now... >:/
I was wondering about 2.53 as well...I still have 2.43.
I heard about its problems with omnicalc (and now, DCS) and steered clear of it.
Hope you can fix the problems, though x.x
yeah I'm hoping someone can confirm switching versions will cure this problem. :/
BrandonW does have a patched version that does fix some of the issues that exist though I don't know if it fixes any of the ones you've mentioned. You can get it here.
Yeah. After all the horror stories I heard out there, I didn't upgrade my calculator to the 2.53 MP OS. I stuck with the 2.43 modded by Brandon W. Very Happy
There is no OS 2.43 modded by BrandonW, but there is a 2.53MP OS modded by BrandonW.
oops my bad sorry I used the free83p thingy.
Don't.. please, switch back now... even with Brandon's patches, you will still have other problems, perhaps not as major, but still. I would suggest switching back asap (which will cure all problems hands down). Also, if any of your friends use it, make them switch too.

BTW, I congratulate you on your improved spelling and grammar, and remember, MP is most likely the cause of all your calc problems.
If a company doesn't include any measure to downgrade firmware, they aren't thinking. They want people to be at the latest and greatest for certain, and often "obvious" reasons.

The latest versions include bug fixes, improvements to already functional aspects and likely new features. Yes, 2.53MP has more bugs than 2.43 but I'm positive those 2.53MP bugs are all related to the flags DCS, Omnicalc and other applications may set as well as any interrupts they introduce.

I assure you a fresh, clean calc running 2.53MP would not have any issues. Like the ones any student would have that don't have DCS, Omnicalc and the like installed. I've been meaning to buy another TI-84+SE for some time now. I'm now interested in buying one, installing 2.53MP immediately (if it isn't already) and installing the latest version of DCS6. As, I believe DCS6 doesn't introduce any interrupts to the TI-OS. If things work flawlessly, I'd imagine there would be some merit to this post.
Yes but now DCS 6 does not all the wonderful features of DCS7 and I think most people would rather that. Plus, to the math student MP is good, but here in programming, it really is not

TI, where newer does not mean better
True, but you're missing the point of my post Smile
comicIDIOT wrote:
If a company doesn't include any measure to downgrade firmware, they aren't thinking. They want people to be at the latest and greatest for certain, and often "obvious" reasons.

The latest versions include bug fixes, improvements to already functional aspects and likely new features. Yes, 2.53MP has more bugs than 2.43 but I'm positive those 2.53MP bugs are all related to the flags DCS, Omnicalc and other applications may set as well as any interrupts they introduce.

I assure you a fresh, clean calc running 2.53MP would not have any issues. Like the ones any student would have that don't have DCS, Omnicalc and the like installed. I've been meaning to buy another TI-84+SE for some time now. I'm now interested in buying one, installing 2.53MP immediately (if it isn't already) and installing the latest version of DCS6. As, I believe DCS6 doesn't introduce any interrupts to the TI-OS. If things work flawlessly, I'd imagine there would be some merit to this post.

All of the flags and interrupts those apps set are stable, and become unstable when used with 2.53MP.

A fresh calc does have issues with 2.53MP, for example I upgraded my calculator to 2.53 and cleared all memory and it was still horribly unstable.
DCS7 does not use interrupts, it uses hooks. However, your point stands.
The main problem with 2.53 MP to my knowledge is that, even without 3rd party ASM programs, it is still unstable (and slow). Someone who actually knows what these bugs are can list them. (I used MP for about a week and switched back to 2.43)
calcdude84se wrote:
DCS7 does not use interrupts, it uses hooks. However, your point stands.
The main problem with 2.53 MP to my knowledge is that, even without 3rd party ASM programs, it is still unstable (and slow). Someone who actually knows what these bugs are can list them. (I used MP for about a week and switched back to 2.43)
Actually, painstaking research into what exactly is broken in 2.53MP, and consultation and late nights spent discussing and debugging with Brandon led me to build in several safeguards into DCS 7 that at least in theory let it work properly on an unpatched 2.53MP calculator. Unfortunately, the OS still has many, many, many bugs that are unrelated to Doors CS itself, and I can only imagine that you managed to discover one of those.
Yeah, a lot of other programs are broken by MP, I suggest you upgrade unless it is a life-or-death situation Wink
qazz42 wrote:
Yeah, a lot of other programs are broken by MP, I suggest you upgrade unless it is a life-or-death situation Wink
Interestingly enough, our very own Merthsoft said that he was happy to have 2.53MP on his calculator, at least during college math classes for its symbolic abilities.
2.53MP will crash on its own without the help of any 3rd party software. On my calculator, nesting about a dozen levels of parenthesis after a fresh RAM reset would crash it. It appears to be VAT related, because that doesn't crash it in an emulator.
DrDnar wrote:
2.53MP will crash on its own without the help of any 3rd party software. On my calculator, nesting about a dozen levels of parenthesis after a fresh RAM reset would crash it. It appears to be VAT related, because that doesn't crash it in an emulator.
I've gotten far more than my share of 2.53MP crashes even in an emulator, sadly. I think the OS represents a stunning failure of TI's QA team.
I think that TI has just been lazy to make their calcs good ever since the nspire :/

and to tell the truth, if we complain to them, I doubt they will give a shit. :/ They don't even care to fix their latest OS for the nspire Rolling Eyes
qazz42 wrote:
I think that TI has just been lazy to make their calcs good ever since the nspire :/

and to tell the truth, if we complain to them, I doubt they will give a a. :/ They don't even care to fix their latest OS for the nspire Rolling Eyes
Really? What's wrong with the latest Nspire OS? Sad But yeah, they clearly have very little interesting in maintaining and improving their OSes these days.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours