Ah, then they just don't have them in the northeast. :/ Thanks for clarifying that, Mufin. And I think that at least in New York, the employees are definitely not hired on the basis of their electronics knowledge, and probably not on the basis of general intelligence either. :/
well i think i fixed it. i tore apart the two plugs and re-soldered wires onto them so now i know which wire is connected to what plug XD. If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself!

and OHHHH SNAP shot down Razz
rcplanegy wrote:
well i think i fixed it. i tore apart the two plugs and re-soldered wires onto them so now i know which wire is connected to what plug XD. If you want something done right you gotta do it yourself!

and OHHHH SNAP shot down Razz
I'm glad to hear that you got it working, the odd exclamations nonwithstanding.
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, then they just don't have them in the northeast. :/ Thanks for clarifying that, Mufin. And I think that at least in New York, the employees are definitely not hired on the basis of their electronics knowledge, and probably not on the basis of general intelligence either. :/

well see you just completely disrespected a whole company, and i know what its like to have 'knowledgeable' staff that have no clue wt heck your talking about so i know how you feel and i respect that, so in context these comments weren't random Very Happy
Ah, I thought you were talking about the cable, hence my confusion. Smile The problem is having to deal with dozens and dozens of these employees over many many years of buying components at RadioShack, and having the employees provide little to no assistance in finding out if they have components, including showing they have no idea of the difference between the different components whatsoever.
uhh hu.... ANYWAYS... i got tired of wondering what wire was connected to what and decided waht the heck, tore apart the plugs and re wired/soldered 3 wires from each plug, so now i can find the correct combonation of connections. i do have the correct pug, right? To anyone who has a TI83 cable, the plug DOES have 3 metal bands, right? I dont want to waste time on this if the basic commponents arent even right. :/
I thought that you said that it was working. Do you not have a continuity tester that you can use, as Ben suggested?
no, i dont have a tester; but if u stick your tounge on the bare wires you can definately feel an electrical current Razz i know the plugs ARE in all the way, but i still want to know if i have the CORRECT nuber of metal bands; does/did the original TI83 cable have 3 or 4 metal bands on them?
It has three. Here's a rather blurry photo of an original cable.
benryves wrote:
Yup, as I said several times and Ben confirmed earlier in the thread, three metal bands separated by two plastic bands. You can also use an LED, a resistor, and 3 to 6V as a simple continuity tester.
yeah i did I've established the red and yellow wires (middle and tip bands) as 1 polarity and the single green wire (the band closest to the wire connections) as the other polarity. i don't think it really matters if i don't find out which polarity it is, i just need to test out different color possibilities. Ive made a chart showing all possible color combinations and ill try them out tomorrow with my TI83 friend Smile
You're misusing the word polarity, but I think I've sorta figured out what you mean. All you need to know is which wire is tip, which wire is ring, and which wire is base for each plug, then connect tip to tip, ring to ring, and base to base.
well see theres the problem... the first time i wired it it was tip-tip, ring-ring, base-base, but nothing got through, and i know my soldering and wiring was spot-on. I'm going to try ALL possible combinations and see what works...
rcplanegy wrote:
well see theres the problem... the first time i wired it it was tip-tip, ring-ring, base-base, but nothing got through, and i know my soldering and wiring was spot-on. I'm going to try ALL possible combinations and see what works...
No, you're not using logic there. Very Happy I'm telling you what works; if that didn't work, then it was probably an issue of the plastic part of the plug below the base being too wide and not mating properly in the 84's socket.
There is no plastic part. I cut it off so the plug would fit into my I/O port, and i KNOW FOR A FACT that all parts of the plug fit snugly into the I/O port. I know they do! I guess ill try re-wiring it like the first example (base-base, ring-ring, tip-tip) but i know nothing is wrong with the plugs for certain. it IS the wiring that's wrong. ill experiment and see what happens Very Happy
And to confirm, you did a continuity check to ensure that tip is actually connected to tip, ring to ring, and base to base? Would it be possible to get a photo of this setup?
Yeah ill try... and yes, tip-tip, ring-ring, base-base. ill try to get a pic right now actually...
rcplanegy wrote:
Yeah ill try... and yes, tip-tip, ring-ring, base-base. ill try to get a pic right now actually...
Aight, excellent. If possible, try to get both plugs and the splice in the picture.
If you have Calcsys on your calculator, run the Port Monitor and look at port 00 ("Link"). Plug the cable into the calculator. The "Bin" value should end in "11". Touch a wire between the base of the cable (the bit nearest the wire end) and the tip and it should end in "10". Touch it between the base and ring (the middle bit) and it should end in "01".
benryves wrote:
If you have Calcsys on your calculator, run the Port Monitor and look at port 00 ("Link"). Plug the cable into the calculator. The "Bin" value should end in "11". Touch a wire between the base of the cable (the bit nearest the wire end) and the tip and it should end in "10". Touch it between the base and ring (the middle bit) and it should end in "01".
Ah, an excellent point. And since you have two calculators, you could also connect them, run CalcSys on both, and see what happens to calculator 2 when you set the lows two Port 0 bits on calculator 1.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours