Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
my freinds all have TI83's and i have a TI84... so ive tried using a 2.5 mm. cell phone headset on both ends, but its not working. the headset is divided into 3 bands, so do i have the right kind of plugs and need to keep switching the wires around, or do i have screwed-up plugs that dont meet he requirements for a TI83? hopefully i have the correct plugs and just need to switch up the wires and connections... :/
Uhm... I'm not quite sure as to why you are using a cell phone wire. Do you not have a normal 2.5mm transfer cable?
Raylin wrote:
Uhm... I'm not quite sure as to why you are using a cell phone wire. Do you not have a normal 2.5mm transfer cable?


They don't come with a TI-84. you only get a 84><84 cable. He wants either a 83><83 or a 84><83 (if such a thing exists).
no i dont i have a mini usb to mini usb cord for Xmit between two TI84's, and the only thing i could find with a 2.5 mm. plug was a cell phone headset, so i took the plug from 2 headsets and connected the wires but it isnt successful... am i being even rermotely clear or do i sound like a raging lunatic XD
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
Raylin wrote:
Uhm... I'm not quite sure as to why you are using a cell phone wire. Do you not have a normal 2.5mm transfer cable?


They don't come with a TI-84. you only get a 84><84 cable. He wants either a 83><83 or a 84><83 (if such a thing exists).
Doesn't his friend with the 83 have the 2.5mm transfer cable?
no they dont have one either unfortunately idk whats up with that... and the 84><83 cord is a 2.5 mm. to a 2.5 mm. cord since the 84 has a 2.5 mm. jack for XMIT with a TI83 bu noone has one of these cords so im trying to make one...
rcplanegy wrote:
no they dont have one either unfortunately idk whats up with that...
So, going back to your cell phone headsets. Do the plugs each have two black bands separating three metal bands?
no the bands between the metal is white but point is there are bands seperating 3 metal bands i know that part is ok
rcplanegy wrote:
no the bands between the metal is white but point is there are bands seperating 3 metal bands i know that part is ok
Aight, that's good. How many conductors are in the two wires that you spliced together? I assume you spliced like colors together? Or was that not possible?
yes like colors... red-red, gold-gold, blue-blue... but there was a random green D: oh god that might be whats wrong... but i also shaved off the insulators covering each wire im an ametuer electrician/science nerd so i knew that much. but why would there be 4 wires connected to a 3 band plug? whats that 4th wire connected to?

i guess i need to mess around with it some more... if i got two like headsets, would that solve the problem? if they were made by the same mnfg that would mean the wires were identical, right? i guess that would work.
You're positive that there's only three metal bands on each plug? Do they both have the random green?
no only 1 has a random green, and yes im looking at it right now: only 3 metal bands >Razz odd isnt it?

well to those of you who have TI83 link cables: i have the right sized plug and nuber of bands, right?
rcplanegy wrote:
no only 1 has a random green, and yes im looking at it right now: only 3 metal bands >Razz odd isnt it?
Not exactly weird; it's probable that the green is a duplicate ground, but we don't know whether red, blue, or yellow is the other ground. I'm tempted to say blue.

Edit: With that said, though, it should be acceptable to leave the wire unconnected if that is indeed what it is.
... ok so i really just need to mess around with it Very Happy
rcplanegy wrote:
... ok so i really just need to mess around with it Very Happy
How did you verify that it's not working? Did you try sending a file from one calculator to the other?
The TI-83+ socket is recessed and as such most 2.5mm plugs won't fit into it unless you attack them with a pencil sharpener (or similar) first to remove the excess plastic. Are you sure the connector is going all the way in?

It sounds like a multimeter is your best friend here to find the connections. I'm a bit surprised that your mobile phone leads only have three connectors, as most have four (ground, earpiece, microphone, button).
benryves wrote:
The TI-83+ socket is recessed and as such most 2.5mm plugs won't fit into it unless you attack them with a pencil sharpener (or similar) first to remove the excess plastic. Are you sure the connector is going all the way in?

It sounds like a multimeter is your best friend here to find the connections. I'm a bit surprised that your mobile phone leads only have three connectors, as most have four (ground, earpiece, microphone, button).
Aye, that's why I questioned him on that several times; I too was surprised. I was going to bring up the excess plastic issue as well, but I subsequently decided he must have checked that himself. Now that I think about it, perhaps not.
I got my 2.5mm cable at Frys electronic store. Check in the audio/video/cellphone department and look for a [i]very[i] thin 2.5mm cable(sometimes they call it a mini cable). The employees at the store I went to didn't know they even had 2.5mm cables Razz
souvik1997 wrote:
I got my 2.5mm cable at Frys electronic store. Check in the audio/video/cellphone department and look for a [i]very[i] thin 2.5mm cable(sometimes they call it a mini cable). The employees at the store I went to didn't know they even had 2.5mm cables Razz
Yeah, I've found a similar amount of ignorance among RadioShack employees over the past twenty years, with some notable exceptions. That might be worth a try, although at least on the East Coast we don't have any Fry's that I know of.
KermMartian wrote:
souvik1997 wrote:
I got my 2.5mm cable at Frys electronic store. Check in the audio/video/cellphone department and look for a very thin 2.5mm cable(sometimes they call it a mini cable). The employees at the store I went to didn't know they even had 2.5mm cables :P
Yeah, I've found a similar amount of ignorance among RadioShack employees over the past twenty years, with some notable exceptions. That might be worth a try, although at least on the East Coast we don't have any Fry's that I know of.

I find more ignorant employees at Play n' Trade than anywhere else. I could definitely see ignorance in Radio Shacks, though. They try so hard to be a jack-of-all-trades, but that just means each employee has to be one as well.

And I think they just don't have Fry's in the North, as I have one near me in the local mall, and I live in the South-east.
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 5
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement