Another hobbyist game developer has contacted me regarding collaboration on the physics overhaul. We're still discussing the details, but this is a promising turn of events.
elfprince13 wrote:
Another hobbyist game developer has contacted me regarding collaboration on the physics overhaul. We're still discussing the details, but this is a promising turn of events.
That's great to hear! In other words you might work together on implementing the physics, and both games might benefit?
Correct. We'd probably start with a stock 1.5.2 build, and then integrate both of our engines into that. I also asked whether he is interested in the rendering overhaul, and am waiting for a response. I think that will a have significant determining role in how we proceed.
elfprince13 wrote:
Correct. We'd probably start with a stock 1.5.2 build, and then integrate both of our engines into that. I also asked whether he is interested in the rendering overhaul, and am waiting for a response. I think that will a have significant determining role in how we proceed.
I seriously hope he is interested in the rendering overhaul as well; wouldn't that make your life much easier, at least in the long run?
KermMartian wrote:
I seriously hope he is interested in the rendering overhaul as well; wouldn't that make your life much easier, at least in the long run?

Probably would, but I'm happy to have help either way. The only bugger about the thing being that he's an aussie, and there's no way we're going to share normal collaboration hours.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Probably would, but I'm happy to have help either way. The only bugger about the thing being that he's an aussie, and there's no way we're going to share normal collaboration hours.
Meh, that's a pain; sorry to hear it. This is great that you have someone else to talk to about this, though; keep us posted. Smile
Just stay up into the wee hours of the morning like I do to play WoW with my Israeli friends...
TGE 152 xTreme is now under active development. We've created a repository from a clean build of TGE 1.5.2, have applied some basic bug fixes and performance upgrades, and are planning where to introduce the physics code. Having another experienced collaborator for the hardest parts of the upgrade should reduce the work load in overhauling the engine, and mean that I'll be able to concentrate on Freebuild-specific gameplay features faster.
So is this clean build of TGE 1.52 like Freebuild without all the freebuild-specific scripts I've been trying to gut, and if so, can I use it?
DShiznit wrote:
So is this clean build of TGE 1.52 like Freebuild without all the freebuild-specific scripts I've been trying to gut, and if so, can I use it?

At this point it's just a stock version of TGE 1.5.2 (which you can get from any copy of the installer for the TGE 1.5.2 demo) with a few bug fixes. I'd be happy to let you use it, but I don't have a Windows build at this point. I've been primarily building under OS X and Linux, and the other developer has been doing most of the Windows builds. I'd say it would be less of a hassle for you to just use the stock 1.5.2 demo for now until we actually make the physics and rendering improvements we have planned.
elfprince13 wrote:
TGE 152 xTreme is now under active development. We've created a repository from a clean build of TGE 1.5.2, have applied some basic bug fixes and performance upgrades, and are planning where to introduce the physics code. Having another experienced collaborator for the hardest parts of the upgrade should reduce the work load in overhauling the engine, and mean that I'll be able to concentrate on Freebuild-specific gameplay features faster.
Wait, what happened the to rendering overhaul?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Wait, what happened the to rendering overhaul?

We haven't started collaborative planning on that yet since Dan is still familiarizing himself with the Bullet concepts and hasn't really started looking at OSG yet.
Hopefully the OSG integration will go a bit faster this time considering that elf already worked through things.
Right, none of the OSG work I did before has to be thrown away. I just have additional help for the rest of it, and with the physics.
That's awesome bro. Will an updated Freebuild engine still be compatible with a stripped-down and re-built version of the current script-base?
elfprince13 wrote:
Right, none of the OSG work I did before has to be thrown away. I just have additional help for the rest of it, and with the physics.
Oh good, that's what I was asking. It sounded like you were starting over and reverting all the OSG changes.
DShiznit wrote:
That's awesome bro. Will an updated Freebuild engine still be compatible with a stripped-down and re-built version of the current script-base?

For the most part, yes. Some things may need to be reworked, but likely only low-level commands related to graphics or physics.
sweet, so I can upgrade when I want to make use of the new physics in future projects.
Yes.
I figured out one of my two (that I'm aware of) glitches in loading an interior into OSG. the int[16] that gets loaded into the transform matrices has to be indexed with [(i%4)*4 + (i/4)] instead of [i]. Meshes now transform properly. The last little glitch is with texture coordinates.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 12 of 13
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours