One has some severe display issues. Going to a menu usually works, but then hitting clear leaves traces behind, and half the menus start out half way down and loop back to the top.
DShiznit wrote:
One has some severe display issues. Going to a menu usually works, but then hitting clear leaves traces behind, and half the menus start out half way down and loop back to the top.
Sounds like a classic ribbon cable issue to me! Smile TI-83+BE, I presume?
TI-83+, what does BE stand for?
"Black Edition", to explicitly differentiate it from the Silver Edition.
ah, well yes, it is black, they're all black, much like the population of the school itself...
benryves wrote:
"Black Edition", to explicitly differentiate it from the Silver Edition.
This exactly, thanks Ben. Smile

DShiznit: Do you have a link cable (specifically a SilverLink, not the unit-to-unit cable) to test out whether the processor and memory of each "broken" calculator is intact and those with LCD issues really do only have LCD issues?
No I don't, do they sell those at radioshack, or is it easy enough to splice together with a USB cable and a headphone jack?
DShiznit wrote:
No I don't, do they sell those at radioshack, or is it easy enough to splice together with a USB cable and a headphone jack?
Nooooo, not at all; there's a microcontroller inside it that acts as a USB slave device and performs the calculator-computer communication. I believe they might (?) still sell them at Staples or Office Depot; can anyone back me up?
I'll tell my mom to take a look next time she's at staples.
DShiznit wrote:
I'll tell my mom to take a look next time she's at staples.
Excellent. I'm worried you might not find it, thakns to the proliferation of the TI-84+ series,, so you might have to resort to eBay or that ilk.
I got a cable from the school, and have begun playing around with the TI-Connect software. Are there better applications for this, or is the TI crap what I'm stuck with? Also, is there a way to get a real-time output of the calc's display?
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Nooooo, not at all; there's a microcontroller inside it that acts as a USB slave device and performs the calculator-computer communication. I believe they might (?) still sell them at Staples or Office Depot; can anyone back me up?

Here's what Office Depot stocks: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/444972/Texas-Instruments-Graph-Link-Connectivity-Kit/
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Here's what Office Depot stocks: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/444972/Texas-Instruments-Graph-Link-Connectivity-Kit/
Thanks for that, Ult Dev. For some reason none of my SilverLinks have had that toroid on the USB end of the cable, but close enough.
Perhaps this topic should be moved to the "your projects" section(which didn't exist when I started it). Also, any further thought on utilities for getting the most out of this cable?
DShiznit wrote:
Perhaps this topic should be moved to the "your projects" section(which didn't exist when I started it). Also, any further thought on utilities for getting the most out of this cable?
I find TI-Connect to be plenty sufficient. This lets you transfer files to and from calculators, take screenshots, and upload new OS (firmware) versions.
I have been having some childish fun with the "send picture" function:

As I tried to articulate earlier, is there any way to get a live feed of my calc's display, so I can see what I'm doing in real-time on my computer?
DShiznit wrote:
I have been having some childish fun with the "send picture" function:

As I tried to articulate earlier, is there any way to get a live feed of my calc's display, so I can see what I'm doing in real-time on my computer?
Did someone draw on that, or is that impact damage? Shock The former is easily cleaned, while the latter is unfixable without an LCD swap. To answer your question, there's not a live feed type thing, but by repeatedly pressing the screenshot button in TI-Connect's Screen Capture utility, you can at least approximate it.
*bump* I thought you guys were talking about DShiznit's avatar originally. :S At any rate, yeah, I recognize the image. Razz Shall we get back on-topic?
That had to be the best reaction to that image ever. "Is that impact damage?" Lawl. Anyway, how should I use this tool to diagnose ram problems; just see if it can read it or not, then take screenshots and see how they turn out?
DShiznit wrote:
That had to be the best reaction to that image ever. "Is that impact damage?" Lawl. Anyway, how should I use this tool to diagnose ram problems; just see if it can read it or not, then take screenshots and see how they turn out?
Basically. The stages of brokenness:

(0) Needed new batteries, contrast was too low, etc
(1) Needed a hard reset
(2) Screen image is present but jumbled
(3) Screen image is absent. Silverlink + Device Explorer reveals calc contents, Screen Capture shows correct screen image.
(4) Screen image is absent. Silverlink + Device Explorer reveals calc contents, Screen Capture shows fully-black, jumbled, or fully-white image.
(5) Screen image is absent. Silverlink + Device Explorer cannot connect to calculator.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours