Well Kerm's expertise goes without saying, being the #1 most prolific calculator programmer speaks for itself...
Got my first batch of calculators today:

I still have to work on my own calc first, and I have to put together a logbook to record diagnoses and repairs, but I figured I'd post what I have to work on.
Sounds like it should be fun! Have you played with any of them yet?
Not yet. I have my own calc to fix first, and I need to get together all the tools and materials I need.
DShiznit wrote:
Not yet. I have my own calc to fix first, and I need to get together all the tools and materials I need.
I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am. Very Happy Perhaps we can work something out where you ship me one or two in exchange for my tireless assistance and consultation. Laughing Wink
I'm not even sure I'm allowed to ship them, they aren't my calculators, and they were only loaned to me on the condition that I be the one to make repairs, so that I learn something. That and I'm supposed to be earning these credits, not out-sourcing them, as easy as that would make things. Perhaps if I encounter some that are damaged beyond repair, and the school is ok with me sending them away to be stripped for parts...
Ok, one of the first ones I touched, just to play with it, only had the contrast set way too high. I'm pretty sure there was nothing wrong with it to begin with, and that the math department is just retarded, but is there any easy way to evaluate all it's major functions on-calc to be certain it wasn't doing something else funky that I'm unaware of?
DShiznit wrote:
I'm not even sure I'm allowed to ship them, they aren't my calculators, and they were only loaned to me on the condition that I be the one to make repairs, so that I learn something. That and I'm supposed to be earning these credits, not out-sourcing them, as easy as that would make things. Perhaps if I encounter some that are damaged beyond repair, and the school is ok with me sending them away to be stripped for parts...
I know, I was joking, hence the wink at the end. Smile What materials and tools do you still need to get together?
I need to stop by radio shack to get a multimeter, a ridiculously small torx-6 screwdriver and some 30-gauge wire. I already have strippers, a soldering iron, spools of organic-core solder, a desk lamp with magnifier, and some helping hands somewhere.

Edit, a second calc had it's contrast set too low, making it appear blank. I'm starting to see a pattern here...
DShiznit wrote:
I need to stop by radio shack to get a multimeter and some 30-gauge wire. I have strippers, a soldering iron, spools of organic-core solder, a desk lamp with magnifier, and some helping hands somewhere.
organic-core solder? Do you happen to mean rosen-core solder? Also, there are some standard tests you can run to check a calculator's functionality, like repeatedly archive and unarchive things, do basic math, and run some test patterns on the LCD.
You could do MODE-Alpha-S to trigger the self test Smile
KermMartian wrote:
organic-core solder? Do you happen to mean rosen-core solder?

Yes, organic rosen
souvik1997 wrote:
You could do MODE-Alpha-S to trigger the self test Smile

cool, what results should I be expecting?
Check this: http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/selfTest.txt
Also, double post
cool, looks like everything checks out.
DShiznit wrote:
Excellent, that's good to hear. I'm often quite wary of the self-test, though, since it's been known to cause BLOD burn-in.
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Excellent, that's good to hear. I'm often quite wary of the self-test, though, since it's been known to cause BLOD burn-in.

It has never done that to me. How could that happen?
souvik1997 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

It has never done that to me. How could that happen?
I'm not sure; it's never happened to me either, but I'm always quite careful to not use the Self-Test mode.
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Perhaps that happens where there's already an existing problem...
DShiznit wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

Perhaps that happens where there's already an existing problem...
That is indeed quite possible. What problems do some of the other calculators have?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 6
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours