"What is LaunchPad?

LaunchPad is an easy-to-use development tool intended for beginners and experienced users alike for creating microcontroller-based applications. At $4.30, the LaunchPad offers everything you need to get started with your projects.

The LaunchPad development kit is a part of the MSP430 Value Line series. LaunchPad has an integrated DIP target socket that supports up to 20 pins, allowing MSP430 Value Line devices to be dropped into the LaunchPad board. Also, an on-board flash emulation tool allows direct interface to a PC for easy programming, debugging, and evaluation. Included are free and downloadable software development environments for writing and debugging software. LaunchPad can be used to create interactive solutions thanks to its on-board pushbuttons, LEDs, and extra input/output pins for easy integration of external devices.

Why LaunchPad?
The LaunchPad is an easy-to-use, affordable, and scalable introduction to the world of microcontrollers and the MSP430 family.

Easy-to-use – LaunchPad includes all of the hardware and software needed to get started. Open source projects and code examples help users get up and running quickly.

Affordable – For $4.30, the LaunchPad includes a development board, 2 programmable MSP430 microcontrollers, mini-USB cable, PCB connectors for expandability, external crystal for increased clock accuracy, and free & downloadable software integrated development environments (IDEs) – everything you need to get started today.

Scalable – The LaunchPad is a simple introduction to the MSP430 microcontroller family. As application requirements change, programs developed on the LaunchPad can be migrated to higher end MSP430 devices."

via TI

$4.30 for an MCU development board and FREE shipping? *nabs*
Whoa, that's super-duper cheap! My bet is that they're losing money on this in the interest of getting people interested in their microprocessors, and therefore will win in the long run. I'm pretty sure I'll get myself one of these for this price.
Unfortunately, it seems TI's online store is (still) being hammered: error 502, since sometime this afternoon.

I intend to grab one (or more), given that price.
Very cool Smile

I think they're trying to get the attention off haxxoring all their calculators and potentially ruining their chances of staying in the education business.... or something like that.

Needless to say, I'd be more then happy to purchase... a couple of these Very Happy

This looks pretty awesome Smile

The Tari wrote:
Unfortunately, it seems TI's online store is (still) being hammered: error 502, since sometime this afternoon.

I intend to grab one (or more), given that price.
Same here. It even looks like they're willing to send samples of the uCs, if I'm reading their page properly.
They're selling them on Mouser.com (instead, so I've heard).

Check 'em out.

EDIT
If any of you speak German as well, here's an interesting wiki on some different pre-built boards Smile

http://msp430.ms.funpic.de/doku.php
But $5.07 plus (not free?) shipping is not the same at $4.30 with free shipping. Very Happy I'm hoping the congestion will clear from their site tomorrow.
Now if only these companies would start selling C compilers at a price that matches their development boards, at least for non-commercial use...
benryves wrote:
Now if only these companies would start selling C compilers at a price that matches their development boards, at least for non-commercial use...
Really? I wasn't aware that this was such a big problem. On a 430 note, their site is still crawling, and mentions this:

TI eStore wrote:
Quantity in Basket: none
Code: MSP-EXP430G2
Price: $4.30

Shipping Weight: 0.00 pounds
Availability: Please call the Product Information Center for an estimated ship date.

I'm also entertained that it weighs nothing.
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
Really? I wasn't aware that this was such a big problem.
It depends how much you value an optimising compiler or the ability to use all of the memory on your device (most free versions of compilers miss one or the other, and removing these limitations is usually very expensive).
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
It depends how much you value an optimising compiler or the ability to use all of the memory on your device (most free versions of compilers miss one or the other, and removing these limitations is usually very expensive).
Ah, that makes sense. That's a shame. Sad

I was all set to go get one of these today, but I discovered that as Tari pointed out, they only accept credit cards directly. PayPal users, you're out of luck. :S
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:

I was all set to go get one of these today, but I discovered that as Tari pointed out, they only accept credit cards directly. PayPal users, you're out of luck. :S

Unless you have one of these:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:

Psh, who uses mastercard?
foamy3 wrote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:

Psh, who uses mastercard?

Nearly a third of all credit card holders in the U.S. and the vast majority of people overseas?
Erm, in my browser you're pointing at your signature, Ultimate Dev'r. Are you saying you can buy microprocessors with your signature? Very Happy
KermMartian wrote:
Erm, in my browser you're pointing at your signature, Ultimate Dev'r. Are you saying you can buy microprocessors with your signature? Very Happy

Confused The mystery of the the disappearing images continues...(if you edit my post you'll see that I embedded an image of a Paypal debit card: http://jaypeeonline.net/images/paypal_debitcard_new.jpg)
Ah, so you did. Anyway, has anyone besides Tari ordered one of these so far? I'm interested in seeing a side-by-side comparison with an Atmega 328 feature-wise.

Interesting discussion from Tuesday from Hack-a-Day here:
http://hackaday.com/2010/06/22/ti-makes-a-big-bid-for-the-hobby-market/
KermMartian wrote:
Ah, so you did. Anyway, has anyone besides Tari ordered one of these so far? I'm interested in seeing a side-by-side comparison with an Atmega 328 feature-wise.

Interesting discussion from Tuesday from Hack-a-Day here:
http://hackaday.com/2010/06/22/ti-makes-a-big-bid-for-the-hobby-market/

The MSP430 would be better compared to the ATTiny family of microcontrollers, as their main purpose is to be small, very low-power chips.
Via @rthprog:

"RT @H4rris $2.15 microcontroller kits programmable via usb? Yes please! http://bit.ly/bBCdlf (Use code HALFMSPTOOL) -- Holy shizkadoodle!"

Edit: Verified legitimate. Shock
KermMartian wrote:
Via @rthprog:

"RT @H4rris $2.15 microcontroller kits programmable via usb? Yes please! http://bit.ly/bBCdlf (Use code HALFMSPTOOL) -- Holy shizkadoodle!"

Edit: Verified legitimate. Shock

I tried to to buy one, but my order didn't go through (but the payment did Rolling Eyes)

EDIT: Oh well isn't this nice:

What an inopportune time for their site to fail Rolling Eyes

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours