I was working today on my 1st Wii homebrew, jwiiirc (name subject to change depending of where the project goes) and finished Milestone 1.

This software will be a simple IRC bot running on the Nintendo Wii, or maybe even a whole game involving IRC, something you can for example, change the color of the screen with ! commands and watch the change on ustream.

Right now the software connects to an IRC server, sends messages according to which button on the wiimote you pressed (<Wii> J pressed on A on his wiimote!), shows raw IRC commands on the screen, and all the configurable values (server, channel, nickname) are hardcoded in the code.

See it in action on irc://irc.57o9.org/wii!

What do you think?

Of course, downloads coming soon!
Interesting and spammy-sounding Razz

Looking forward to seeing where this will go.
Same. If you can make a bouncer, even more points. My family never touches the Wii so it'll be great to leave it running as a bouncer at the least.
Yeah, could be a good idea to port ZNC or psyBNC on the Wii, although you can't leave it running while the Wii is off or while you are doing something else such as playing a game.
comicIDIOT wrote:
Same. If you can make a bouncer, even more points. My family never touches the Wii so it'll be great to leave it running as a bouncer at the least.
Oooh, that would indeed be cool and probably quite the popular application. As Keith said, interesting and spammy-sounding. Very Happy
IMHO, if you don't use your Wii, you could run something like Folding@HOME or something like that, a bouncer, to be useful, requires you to never, ever, touch your Wii, which never happens with 99% of the people, or something like that. But an idea is made to be done, I could make a Wii bouncer just to see a bouncer running on the Wii.
I'll have to look into Installing Hombrew on the Wii then. It's not as difficult as it is on the PS3 is it?
It's really easy, like insert your SD card, copy something and load a savestate in a game.
juju2143 wrote:
It's really easy, like insert your SD card, copy something and load a savestate in a game.
I assume it's certain games that have buffer-overflow exploits or some other bad coding practices?
KermMartian wrote:
juju2143 wrote:
I assume it's certain games that have buffer-overflow exploits or some other bad coding practices?
Exactly, I think the current popular one is Indiana Pwns(I be you can guess the game it expoits) though I'm not sure if Stack Smash was ever released, I know I use the Twilight Princess Hack when I first got my Wii though that one has sadly been blocked. For recent exploits I prefer Banner Bomb over the save game exploits because of how it doesn't really get in the way on your SD card, though that one may have been fixed as well.

Now I mostly use my Wii for my Arch Linux PPC port which I have entitled Archii(Yep I'm so original I know). I keep meaning to start a thread here about that but I always forget.
Yeah, you keep mentioning that project and not posting about it. Come to think of it, I haven't seen CLI TiLP updates recently either. Razz

So Juju, how far would you like to take this, and when it gets there, do you have any other homebrew Wii programs planned?
Usually I post about my projects only when I get something functional. As for Wii homebrew, I only planned this one for now, I'll plan some others when I'll get more used with the different Wii libraries, maybe I'll port some projects I did at school. It was kinda hard just to parse the incoming strings correctly, I still didn't figured out how to split a line into words. So yeah, I'll get as far as I will be able to get.

And I should install Archii soon as well. I always wanted to do that since I got my Wii 2 weeks ago.
smash stack was released i have used it works well

there is now indianpwns as mentioned a new hack came out not that long ago and banner bomb is now depricated as in sysmenu 4.3 it is patched ;.;
I got my Wii with 4.2, I used bannerbomb and upgraded to 4.3. Works like a charm. And if something should happen with my HBC I got Indiana Jones so I can do the Indiana Pwns (I think).
That is correct ^_^ but rule of thumb is don't update and if there is a update run the game threw like gecko os so it don't update on you Razz
Usually, the update deletes homebrew according to the title ID, so you should wait after a HBC update that changes its title ID to update the system menu. This obviously looks like a game of cat and mouse between Nintendo and the homebrew community.
geekboy1011 wrote:
smash stack was released i have used it works well

there is now indianpwns as mentioned a new hack came out not that long ago and banner bomb is now depricated as in sysmenu 4.3 it is patched ;.;
Aww they fixed banner Bomb, that was such an awesome hack solely because it didn't even require you to own a single game to run.
The Storm agreed totally agreed

and once again correct juju they had to change ids like 3 times now X.x
juju2143 wrote:
Usually, the update deletes homebrew according to the title ID, so you should wait after a HBC update that changes its title ID to update the system menu. This obviously looks like a game of cat and mouse between Nintendo and the homebrew community.
Isn't that how it always goes? Sony and the PS3 hacker community, TI and the Nspire hacking community, etc etc etc.
Always does seem like a game of cat and mouse.

So, the million dollar question is, do you plan on having some real useful feature for the bot (like channel management or something?).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours