What MicroProcessor (of the ones listed) should I program in the FPGA (as the softcore proccesor)?
eZ80 (ZILOG)
 0%  [ 0 ]
8080 (INTEL)
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

You're not the one necroposting, Matthias; tanner, Ult Dev'r, and myself started it. And Ultimate Dev'r, I meant *this topic; I sometimes make mistakes in my posts. Rolling Eyes Matthias, this is great to hear; I'm glad that as per UD's concerns, this project has not in fact dissolved into vaporware. Keep us in the loop!
Ok cool. right now I am just writing some routines in KCPSM3 assembly. I have no clue how to hook up the ps2 (I need to add something in the VHDL source there) and how to read it. Same goes for VGA. If anyone has any idea...(I am using the picoblaze sample project: http://www.echelonembedded.com/fpgaresources/).

The guy who made that design did include the 7seg displays to display hex and he included the on-board switch buttons [8] and push buttons [4] and some leds [8].

So for now i'll stick with that simple IO. Right now I have a routine that waits for a confirmation button. So say I wanted to add two 8 bit numbers I would set the 8 slide switches to A, then confirm A. Then set the slide switches to B and confirm B, and the rest of the code will spit out the hex answer.

If anybody has cool ideas on what to do with this limited IO, let me hear it!

one more thing, If anybody has any clue on how to hook up a better soft-core to the nexys 2. Gratitude galore!

No seriously, I like the picoblaze but I find the 1024 instructions limit, well, limiting. I would rather implent a better CPU and I know opencores has them but I have no idea how I should convert their VHDL files into something that works on my FPGA.

Maybe it was a bit ambitious after all... Smile
That sounds like a great sample application, but might I suggest something more complex for the math operation? I'd prefer something that couldn't be replicated with a handful of 74LS TTL chips, namely a pair of 8-bit buffers, 8 bits of adder, and a couple of 7-seg encoders.
Ultimate queston, ultimate answer. Changed plans. Ditched the fpga tning (i still have it) bought a propeller proto usb board, now i only need an 9v supply. I already have vga and ps2 mouse and keyboard ports so.
Matthias1992 wrote:
Ultimate queston, ultimate answer. Changed plans. Ditched the fpga tning (i still have it) bought a propeller proto usb board, now i only need an 9v supply. I already have vga and ps2 mouse and keyboard ports so.
Sounds like fun! I look forward to seeing what you come up with with this. Why did you ditch the FPGA project?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours