In all honesty, I am planning on rewriting what I had anyways, I think this project, when I am back on it, will be nice test of XLib. Smile
Sonlen wrote:
In all honesty, I am planning on rewriting what I had anyways, I think this project, when I am back on it, will be nice test of XLib. Smile
Sounds good; I'm glad that your original attempts were at least a learning experience for you.

@Mufin: That's what I mean by "your server". Smile
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
In all honesty, I am planning on rewriting what I had anyways, I think this project, when I am back on it, will be nice test of XLib. :)
Sounds good; I'm glad that your original attempts were at least a learning experience for you.

@Mufin: That's what I mean by "your server". :)

:P
We don't all have a server to call our own
MufinMcFlufin wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Sonlen wrote:

@Mufin: That's what I mean by "your server". Smile

Razz
We don't all have a server to call our own

I wish... Then I would never have to worry about losing anything. :p
You guys can still design very effective backup systems on your own computers, though, even if all you have are a few assorted USB flash drives to plug in and use with SyncBack. You could make your important projects and documents folders get backed up to the flash drives every [insert time period here].
So I have decided to get back on this and start anew with it.
First off I need to work out a fast RLE compression/decompression routine for Matrices since this game will use a lot of those. I have thought of converting the Matrices to lists then RLE those, but that results in a TON of lists, which could make the program bigger then if I used just Matrices. Then I though about storing it to a string in the RLE format, and use "/" to separate the rows of the matrix, i.e.

(note the closing brackets and parenthesis are so the code will display properly with the syntax highlighting)

Code:
:[[1,1,2,3][1,2,2,3][2,3,2,1][2,2,3,3]]->A
:dim([A])->L1
:" "(1 space to store an empty string to Ans)
:For(A,1,L1(1))
:For(B,1,L1(2))
:Ans+sub(<A-Z>,[A](A,B),1
:End
:Ans+"/"
:End
:sub(Ans,2,(Ans-1))->Str1

That will be without the compression of course, but that is what I thought of doing before compression, I would probably add the compression to the routine as well, any better thoughts or opinions?
when i think of zelda on the TI i think of this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC-_e5vwrCI

that is downright amazing coming from a TI.
Yeah that was great. I hope one day Spencer finishes it.

That said I don't mind ASCII graphics, though, as I like action adventure games like Zelda. Good luck Sonlen!
_player1537 wrote:
Imo, I'd rather have both a matrix and a string, the string holding the stuff you display, and then the matrix holding the data like it is already. Then to display a new map, you just output(1,1,<128 character string>). That will speed it up quite a bit Very Happy. Other than that, looks great so far, good luck with the rest of it Smile

I sort of used this method to write my own game engine, but instead of using a matrix, I just used sub(str1,<character_position>,1) to detect the position of the character relative to the string and other things such as collision. This made loading really fast, and the character movement really easy to handle. Maybe using something like that can help with the loading time of all the screens. Hope this idea helps somehow, and good luck! Very Happy
Hey man, is this in the right thread? The last post in this thread was 8 years ago - so sadly I'm not sure this project will be finished Sad.

That being said, if you have projects of your own, i'd love to hear about them. Consider making your own thread in the projects section if you do! Smile.
tr1p1ea wrote:
Hey man, is this in the right thread? The last post in this thread was 8 years ago - so sadly I'm not sure this project will be finished Sad.

That being said, if you have projects of your own, i'd love to hear about them. Consider making your own thread in the projects section if you do! Smile.

Haha I didn't check the date...
Anyway, I don't every really finish projects I'm working on so I doubt making a thread is a good idea. I plan on posting a project though (if I ever finish one)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 16 of 16
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours