I've been craving for a USB LCD for a while.
They're pretty nice looking, interesting for others to see, and pretty useful for seeing how my laptop is doing in terms of memory and CPU. (My Chrome loves to eat my memory, which is why I'd like to keep an eye on it)

So after a bit of research on eBay and such, I've finally found these two:
http://cgi.ebay.com/2004-LCD-Display-USB-Edition-I-Smartie-module-PC-Case-/250680626277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5dbacc65#ht_3546wt_1139

http://cgi.ebay.com/20-4-LCD-Display-Board-UART-Based-USB-Edition-III-/230517204964?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35abe567e4#ht_5576wt_1139

They look the same, eh? They aren't.
On the back, there's a better way of plugging in a ambiance sensor (which is possible to use IF I find one), and there's supposedly a lot more features.

Cheaper one:
Quote:
Features:
Integrate a 20*4 (blue background white character) LCD as the main display
Can be used to display info from serial COM port with tailored application- LCD Smartie and its displaying pattern can be adjusted
One USB A to mini USB AB cable and one USB mainboard extension cord are provided, both of which can be used for power connection and communication
Can readily be fixed into PC case

Package Contents:
20*4 LCD module x1
Mini USB cable x1
USB mainboard extension cord x1
Allen key x1
Bolt x 4
Screw x 8

Edition I
Software compatibility
Compatible with LCD Smartie only

Hardware included
USB-to-serial port converter CP2102

Communication
1. Serial COM port: USB mini B,USB 9-pin,
2. Single-row female socket

More expensive one:
Quote:
Features:
Integrate a 20*4 (blue background white character) LCD as the main display
Can be used to display info from serial COM port with tailored application- LCD Smartie or Sure-LCD and its displaying pattern can be adjusted
With Sure-LCD, ambient temperature can be obtained and displayed in either °F or ℃.
Allows you to edit memorandum (also called tips) and display tips continuously.
Various UART ports-based Smartie can be made, such as TTL, CMOS, RS232 and USB
Command set provided
One USB A to mini USB AB cable and one USB mainboard extension cord are provided, both of which can be used for power connection and communication
3 pieces LED indicator cables are provided to indicate power, data receiving and transfer.
Can readily be fixed into PC case
Provides 8 character libraries that can be redefined by users

Package Contents:
20*4 LCD module x1
Mini USB cable x1
USB mainboard extension cord x1
Allen key x1
Bolt x 4
Screw x 8
Cable harness-based LED indicators X3

Edition III
Software compatibility
Compatible with LCD Smartie & Sure-LCD

Hardware included
USB-to-serial port converter CP2102
Temperature sensor LM75
EEPROM: 24C04

Communication
1. Serial COM port: USB mini B,USB 9-pin,
2. Single-row female socket
3. Indicator ports for power,data transfer and receiving
4. A 3-pin 2510 socket for further use

So, which one is the better buy? Smile (I'm looking to see whether I should get the one with more features with a higher price, or the other one with smaller features, lower price.)
Thanks for posting this up here. Smile I initially thought they were identical when I first looked at your two links, then I saw one was Edition I and the other was III, and now you've clarified the differences for me. Basically, the things that III has that I does not:

:: Compatibility with "Sure" software
:: Three status LEDs
:: Ambient temperature sensor
:: Memorandums (Memoranda, actually, for you Latin scholars like myself)

For me, those extra features probably wouldn't be worth it, but if I want to get the full range of features, I think the extra $10 would probably be well-spent if only just to have more software that works with it out of the box.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours