Enjoying the vote and such? Great! But make sure you voted.
Voting will end next Monday, August 30th! (Extended from August 27th, which is a Friday) So please make sure to hurry and vote! Wink
Note that new polls have been posted, so make sure to check them out, decide, and vote!

After voting ends, polls will close, and all the votes will be counted in both Omnimaga and Cemetech.
Results will be posted in the weekend or next Monday.

After voting is done, hardware selection will begin. Any hardware guru can contribute!
Eventually, we'll decide on a set hardware to build on, produce a prototype, write an OS
for the prototype, some QA for everything, then begin mass production. Smile

Thanks to everyone who suggested ideas! Let's hope that this random idea from nowhere becomes
reality! Very Happy
Due to popular demand, I will extend the deadline to next Monday, August 30th to let everyone vote.

Happy voting! Very Happy
alberthrocks wrote:
Due to popular demand, I will extend the deadline to next Monday, August 30th to let everyone vote.

Happy voting! Very Happy
And then after this and the hardware selection, who exactly is going to be working on the prototypes?
KermMartian wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:

Happy voting! Very Happy
And then after this and the hardware selection, who exactly is going to be working on the prototypes?

Anybody good with electronics and that has time to do part(s) of it. Wink
You could help if you have any time at all to pitch in and help with the design.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all folks! Smile Voting is now closed, and votes will now be tallied.
The final feature list will be announced soon, so stay tuned.

Thanks to everyone who voted! Very Happy
I presume that the final feature list will still be flexible pending discoveries of problems, wastes of money, or new inspiration?
KermMartian wrote:
I presume that the final feature list will still be flexible pending discoveries of problems, wastes of money, or new inspiration?

As in the hardware/feature list, yes. This is just to keep the project on track so that we can find hardware to use for each features.
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

As in the hardware/feature list, yes. This is just to keep the project on track so that we can find hardware to use for each features.
Indeed. It seems to me that the next part is the hard part in terms of money, buying parts, and finding someone (like me, for instance, but hopefully others) who have the time, money, and especially technical inclination to buy the parts and put them all together.
KermMartian wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Indeed. It seems to me that the next part is the hard part in terms of money, buying parts, and finding someone (like me, for instance, but hopefully others) who have the time, money, and especially technical inclination to buy the parts and put them all together.

I don't think anyone will be buying parts until we have a definite list of parts to buy. Wink Basically, we need to find parts that can work with each other, and then move from there.
Well yeah, but daunting as it sounds, finding parts that work together in theory is small potatoes compared with the task of actually putting them together, bootstrapping them, and making them do something useful, even if it's something as simple as displaying a single static image on the LCD.
KermMartian wrote:
Well yeah, but daunting as it sounds, finding parts that work together in theory is small potatoes compared with the task of actually putting them together, bootstrapping them, and making them do something useful, even if it's something as simple as displaying a single static image on the LCD.

Well, we're taking baby steps here. Smile

Parts first, then we'll organize a community collaboration to put it together with some software. Wink
That's what I'm saying, though, software will require an actual hardware platform; I think you underestimate how much helper hardware is going to be necessary to make the major hardware pieces work together. Smile When you build a computer, you choose storage, CPU, memory, graphics, etc, and this is like that, except you also have to buy all the resistors, transistors, and microcontrollers/ICs on the motherboard and solder together the motherboard (in my analogy).
KermMartian wrote:
That's what I'm saying, though, software will require an actual hardware platform; I think you underestimate how much helper hardware is going to be necessary to make the major hardware pieces work together. Smile When you build a computer, you choose storage, CPU, memory, graphics, etc, and this is like that, except you also have to buy all the resistors, transistors, and microcontrollers/ICs on the motherboard and solder together the motherboard (in my analogy).

Well, that's my thought too. Wink It'll start out with a clean breadboard, and then components will be soldered (er, wired) together.

Of course, a schematic is needed. My limited knowledge tells me that people usually look at the data sheets and pins, the docs, and then create a schematic/prototype with a CAD app or with their head. Wink
For breadboarding you don't generally use a CAD app, you more just sketch out your plan and build it piece by piece, doing unit testing as you go to make sure each section of the final project will be at least electrically functional, and hopefully function as desired as well. Among the extras that I mentioned, for instance, is some kind of bus management, the way TI has that mysterious custom ASIC on the TI-83+ motherboard that coordinates the Flash, the keypad, the link port, and the LCD; basically, anything with a port number.
I have no idea what this is. But the spamming is getting annoying.
allynfolksjr wrote:
Don't worry, I'm planning to move it to a subsubforum soon. It's Alberthro's project for a third-party calculator.
KermMartian wrote:
allynfolksjr wrote:
Don't worry, I'm planning to move it to a subsubforum soon. It's Alberthro's project for a third-party calculator.

Hehe, now it's big enough? Wink

Anyway, it's really not my project, although I "lead" it so to speak. More or less the community's project. Wink

It's indeed mysterious - I'm not sure what we'll use to coordinate all the devices together. Any ideas on that?
Nothing in particular, and I doubt I'll have any until I know exactly what hardware we'll be dealing with. I have indeed done a lot more reading up on z80/eZ80 specifics with regards to the electrical details of interrupts, ports, and the bus, though, so hopefully the details will continue to congeal in my mind to the point where I can enumerate them here.

And yeah, with the number of topics about it, I think it's getting towards subforum size. Razz

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours