souvik1997 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* Managed to get a shell on this device over SSH, using my desktop as a USB-Ethernet bridge for the Gumstix' RNDIS device!

Very nice!
Thanks! I'm hoping I'll be able to properly configure everything to be able to work over Bluetooth, but failing that, I suppose I could splice some ethernet and USB cables together as a temporary fix.
Hmm, what distribution of Linux does this run?
souvik1997 wrote:
Hmm, what distribution of Linux does this run?
A very light distribution of Linux called Gumstix OpenEmbedded that fits into a megabyte or two.
It would be awesome if that could run on a TI calculator. Very Happy
souvik1997 wrote:
It would be awesome if that could run on a TI calculator. Very Happy
It would be awesome! It would be most useful is there was a way to fit at least USB drivers inside, so that applications could be run from a mass storage device.

Edit: Oh, the good news! I was able to load some custom images and display them on the ePaper! Turns out 8-bit PPM image is another way to say PGM image. Didn't realize that.
*bump* Eleven-hour bump, but I took a picture of the custom image on my way out the door to work this morning.
Why isn't it a picture of us Sad

Very nice, though. Maybe you can hook the gameboy camera up to it and use it as a mirror Smile
merthsoft wrote:
Why isn't it a picture of us Sad
Sorry Shaun. Sad

ibid. wrote:
Very nice, though. Maybe you can hook the gameboy camera up to it and use it as a mirror Smile
That's an awesome idea! Very Happy
Is that 4 level grayscale?
souvik1997 wrote:
Is that 4 level grayscale?
Three-bit, 8-level grayscale, actually, but good eye! I think so, anyway; I'll double-check when I get home. It's either 8-level, or the paper supports 8-level but the drivers are at 4-level.
You gotta make a program that scrolls through multiple images. Like one of those digital photo frames, except custom built and manufactured by Kerm.
adept wrote:
You gotta make a program that scrolls through multiple images. Like one of those digital photo frames, except custom built and manufactured by Kerm.
Oh, that program was the work of fewer than two minutes; now I want it to generate dynamic images from the internet. Since for some reason I have the worst luck in the world with Bluetooth and Windows, to host a PAN bridge on my desktop for the door, I'll probably run a custom-patched USB cable to provide RNDIS.
*bump* Almost a year late, but success! The epaper is using an RNDIS bridge over a super-hacky USB extension cable made of butchered CAT-6 ethernet cable, and my desktop acts as the ethernet bridge (but does not mediate the images sent to the epaper in any way). Power is supplied by a custom power supply module shown. Every time it wants a new image, a shell script running on the tiny Gumstix Linux computer attached to the ePaper makes a request to one of my many servers. Using PHP and GD2, that server builds an 800x600 PNG image containing news, my calendar, and local weather. It uses ImageMagick to convert that to a PGM, then bzip2's it and delivers that content to the ePaper. The Gumstix bunzip2's the PGM and displays it. Currently, the refresh rate is 300 seconds to limit wear-and-tear on the MMC card used as the staging ground for the unbzipped image.

*another bump* Here's a simple diagram of how the system works. I'll be posting a project page and a news article shortly.

That looks really useful, Kerm. Smile I like how you divided the News, Calendar, and Weather information, with the date on the side.
souvik1997 wrote:
That looks really useful, Kerm. Smile I like how you divided the News, Calendar, and Weather information, with the date on the side.
Thanks Souvik! It actually is surprisingly useful; I can just glance at my door when I'm putting on my coat to figure out what to wear, to see what meetings I need to go to that day, and get a quick overview of what's happening in the world. Smile
Can we see the scripts you use to make the image?
tomofdarkness wrote:
Can we see the scripts you use to make the image?
Welcome to Cemetech! You certainly can; which part are you particularly interested in? The door-side scripts that interact with the e-Paper, or the server-side scripts that aggregate the data to be displayed and lay it out into a PGM image?
Hello from Hackaday.

In retrospect, this isn't unlike one thing I hacked together sometime last year, except mine fed data in the other direction (from a camera outside to the display inside).
Tari wrote:
Hello from Hackaday.

In retrospect, this isn't unlike one thing I hacked together sometime last year, except mine fed data in the other direction (from a camera outside to the display inside.
Neat, do you have a writeup on that? What sort of display did you use? What kind of computing power was governing it?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours