Well, that didn't stop you, did it!
Sad sorry if i hurt your feelings Kerm, despite the astounding height difference, you look like a nice happy couple.

never had a girlfriend, or any still lasting friend really.bit jealous actually
adept wrote:
Well, that didn't stop you, did it!
True, but it's not like I connected the display portion itself to my own hardware. I'm using their driver board and computing module as-is, and just messing with the software, although I guess that's equally nifty in some sense.

Anak, thanks for the apology and the complement; the way you phrased it was extremely insensitive.
Wow. I had no idea they worked like that Razz can you shake them and disturb the balls inside?
willrandship wrote:
Wow. I had no idea they worked like that Razz can you shake them and disturb the balls inside?
Nah, not really, as far as I know. Although needless to say I have no intentions of doing any testing, considering what an expensive and delicate piece of technology it is. Smile I feel like the Kindle and such would probably be less successful if you could use it like an Etch-A-Sketch (shake it and the screen randomizes Razz).
But that would be the most epic etch-a-sketch ever!

Any way to hook it to your calc? That would be cool Razz
willrandship wrote:
But that would be the most epic etch-a-sketch ever!

Any way to hook it to your calc? That would be cool Razz
Actually, if you could make the calculator emulate a USB mass storage device, you could feed the ePaper device images to display on its screen, but that would be quite complex
*bump* Massive heatsink plus beefy diode is a success; hardly any heat is produced! The e-paper module including associated gumstix has been successfully powered up for about three hours now with no ill effects yet. I was able to even access it as an Ethernet-over-USB device, but I don't know what its root pass is. Sad 'gumstix', 'root', and '' all were failures. At any rate, I'm going to quick solder this onto a PCB.

That diode if freakin' huge! Why does it have to be so big? And the heat sink too. I see some heavy gauge wire over on the left side of the pic, but where does it lead to? These are SUPER low power devices. What is the heat sink connected to? Is it a voltage regulator? If it is a voltage regulator, is it switching or linear? Cuz if it was linear, it should put off lots of heat, but switching should put off considerably less. If the voltage of amperage is so high that it needs a heat sink and a giant diode, why do you use 1/4 watt resistors, and tiny ceramic disk capacitors? They'll just blow up if the current or voltage is that high.

Oh! And sorry for pestering the Kerminator with excessive questions about his business! Very Happy
Hah, that's one way to fix it, I guess. Very Happy
adept wrote:
That diode if freakin' huge! Why does it have to be so big? And the heat sink too. I see some heavy gauge wire over on the left side of the pic, but where does it lead to? These are SUPER low power devices. What is the heat sink connected to? Is it a voltage regulator? If it is a voltage regulator, is it switching or linear? Cuz if it was linear, it should put off lots of heat, but switching should put off considerably less.
Linear, as you correctly called from the large heat sink.
adept wrote:
If the voltage of amperage is so high that it needs a heat sink and a giant diode, why do you use 1/4 watt resistors, and tiny ceramic disk capacitors? They'll just blow up if the current or voltage is that high.
They're used to set the reference voltage Vref; the voltage regulator itself (and the diode) take care of the actual power dissipation.

adept wrote:
Oh! And sorry for pestering the Kerminator with excessive questions about his business! Very Happy
No problem, that's what I'm here for. Smile
Are you doing anything with AC? That would explain all the power circuitry. And could I see a schematic, because its really interesting. No need to though, if it causes you any trouble. I can't clearly see by the picture you put, nor do I know what the wires going of screen go to.

(BTW, last night, I was working with a power transistor, shorted it out. So it got hot, and burned my finger SO Bad!)
adept wrote:
Are you doing anything with AC? That would explain all the power circuitry. And could I see a schematic, because its really interesting. No need to though, if it causes you any trouble. I can't clearly see by the picture you put, nor do I know what the wires going of screen go to.

(BTW, last night, I was working with a power transistor, shorted it out. So it got hot, and burned my finger SO Bad!)
Yeah, I've been there many many MANY times. Sad Sorry to hear it. I'm dealing with semi-regulated DC from a wall wart, but nowhere near regulated enough for what I'm doing. The wires from the left of the picture are semi-regulated power from the wall wart, and the clear audio wire going out the top is regulated 8.9V power to the e-Paper
So it is power circuitry! I see the advantages of AC. I would've done that to, so I don't have to charge it or replace batteries all the time. So, where is the diode bridge? In the "wall wart"? I usually get a transformer, not a full-on brick... It makes stuff more difficult.
adept wrote:
So it is power circuitry! I see the advantages of AC. I would've done that to, so I don't have to charge it or replace batteries all the time. So, where is the diode bridge? In the "wall wart"? I usually get a transformer, not a full-on brick... It makes stuff more difficult.
The diode is to drop out an extra 0.7V ish, which means less power and heat to be dissipated through the voltage regulator. Smile
*bump* I got the power supply all fixed! Shall I post a schematic and photos of the finished module? The ePaper has been running for about 18 hours now with no hiccups, and the power supply heatsink is barely warm (same with the erstwhile diode). I'm having trouble connecting it to my desktop's PAN bridge so it can access the internet and so I can have a console on it, though.
I was shopping for watches, and lookie here!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/c904/
An E-Ink display watch! Really don't see why you'd want one, but there coming out everywhere now.
adept wrote:
I was shopping for watches, and lookie here!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/c904/
An E-Ink display watch! Really don't see why you'd want one, but there coming out everywhere now.
I agree, I sorta don't see the point behind it, especially since from looking at such watches you can barely tell the difference from a standard LCD watch.
*bump* Managed to get a shell on this device over SSH, using my desktop as a USB-Ethernet bridge for the Gumstix' RNDIS device!
KermMartian wrote:
*bump* Managed to get a shell on this device over SSH, using my desktop as a USB-Ethernet bridge for the Gumstix' RNDIS device!

Very nice!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours