I suggest running Fedora. Better for everyone.
allynfolksjr wrote:
I suggest running Fedora. Better for everyone.
And by Fedora you of course mean at least Centos, if not Ubuntu. Laughing
KermMartian wrote:
benryves wrote:
Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Windows 7. Taskbar grouping was awful in previous versions of Windows, and they've elevated it to an even higher level of dreadfulness by making all windows group by default and hiding the window titles. This means that you have to hover the mouse over various icons to identify them, rather than just look at the titles - mystery meat navigation is a terrible sin in user interface design.
Yeah, but it takes 20 seconds of menus to disable that (which, by the way, is one of the first things that I did on my systems when I started using Windows 7), which I think is a small price to pay.
So you pay £100 or so for features that you'll just end up disabling anyway. No thanks, I think I'll stick to Vista. Razz
No £100 necessary if it was OEM on a computer you got. Razz I'm surprised that you've never felt Vista to be sluggish or bloated compared to either XP or 7.
you guys dont like the new task bar???

i personally find it to be one of my favorite things about windows 7...
@WhiteValkery I love the new task bar; jump lists particularly are awesome for quickly opening recently closed documents/pages and stuff. Also, the win+x shortcut for mobility controls is incredibly handy, even though it _might_ have been in vista (I didn't own a vista computer).

The only really annoying thing is that a few applications by default show their tabs as separate windows in the group, but that can (usually) be toggled off.
rthprog wrote:
@WhiteValkery I love the new task bar; jump lists particularly are awesome for quickly opening recently closed documents/pages and stuff. Also, the win+x shortcut for mobility controls is incredibly handy, even though it _might_ have been in vista (I didn't own a vista computer).

The only really annoying thing is that a few applications by default show their tabs as separate windows in the group, but that can (usually) be toggled off.
Which applications are those? I would be really annoyed if any of my applications tried to do that, but luckily, none of them have. Regarding Win-X, my tablet PC has a hardware button for that that worked under Vista as well, so there you go. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
rthprog wrote:

Which applications are those? I would be really annoyed if any of my applications tried to do that, but luckily, none of them have. Regarding Win-X, my tablet PC has a hardware button for that that worked under Vista as well, so there you go. Smile

Opera is one of those applications that allows you to view each tab as a window...

i think its meant as a nice feature for finding your tabs with out going in to the window first... but i guess some people find it annoying too... (i found it to be indifferent...)
You mean different, right? Razz How many tabs do you usually have open on average though, WhiteV?
KermMartian wrote:
You mean different, right? Razz How many tabs do you usually have open on average though, WhiteV?

i donno... perhaps 3 or 4 tabs?

i used to use opera, but now i use a firefox variant called wyzo.
i use wyzo instead of firefox because it has a tray icon feature so i dont have to restart the whole thing when i close it.

and another reason i switched to wyzo / fire fox is because Opera seems to have a bad drawer... Opera is actually unable to load my university's student webpage, so i switched.

not sure if windows 7 views firefox tabs are separate windows though.

p.s. i meant that i dont really like or dislike the tabs being viewed as separate windows. i worded it incorrectly.
WhiteValkery wrote:
and another reason i switched to wyzo / fire fox is because Opera seems to have a bad drawer... Opera is actually unable to load my university's student webpage, so i switched.
That sounds more like bad markup to me, to be honest, although I've heard reports that Cemetech is remarkably unstable in Opera alone of all the browsers people use.
KermMartian wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:
That sounds more like bad markup to me, to be honest, although I've heard reports that Cemetech is remarkably unstable in Opera alone of all the browsers people use.

yeah, but what i mean is that there are a lot of web pages that Opera can't load...
I've only encountered a few - the problem is usually down to dodgy browser sniffing combined with poor testing, so masquerading as a different browser will often fix it.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours