Well, lets start at the begining. I was looking at the different things offered at high school at "high school fair". One thing of peculiar interest was a graphing calculator course....

I was, throughout the entire summer, just waiting for school to start so I can fun there. Last minute, I was told I could not take that course because of complications.

Now, I am not too pissed, because I still get computer aided design. And I was still looking forward to after school activities that involve computers and such.

WRONG!!!!

I can't even get any after school activities that I like, because the school does not support them...

Now, a problem here is that the adults of the school expect you to join after school activities. So I will now be forced to take something I hate.

High school is just going to be like middle school. 4 years of hell......

I hope that PERHAPS the guidance counsellor misunderstood my question, and there really are after school activities that I would be interested in... I can only hope....
Computer-Aided Design is a lot of fun; I hope you'll enjoy it. That's a shame about the graphing calculator course; what exactly were the complications? Also, what do you mean that the schooldoes not support computer-related afterschool activities? Hopefully it's all just a misunderstanding; I don't think high school is really going to be 4 years of hell. Smile
I hope not either
The complications were that my schedule was so narrow, that it just could not be placed

the graphing calc course is one period and one class a day btw
qazz42 wrote:
I hope not either
The complications were that my schedule was so narrow, that it just could not be placed

the graphing calc course is one period and one class a day btw
Whoa, five sessions a week? That's pretty extreme. Shock I hope you'll keep us updated on this situation; when do you next get to address it and/or talk to the guidance counselor?
wait, wha?

No, I was saying that there is only one class, that there is only one meeting of the class a day

so, yeah, five sessions a week I guess, why do you say it is extreme?
qazz42 wrote:
wait, wha?

No, I was saying that there is only one class, that there is only one meeting of the class a day

Absolutely, but maybe that's because I've been in college for the last five years, where are most intense classes were two 2-hour sessions each week, or three one-hours sessions.
ah, ok

I wonder what computer aided design will be like...

Still pissed at the after school problems >_<
qazz42 wrote:
ah, ok

I wonder what computer aided design will be like...

Still pissed at the after school problems >_<
And understandably so; even if it is a misunderstanding, it's one that they should have helped you remedy. Do you know what program or programs you'll be using for Computer-Aided Design?
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
wait, wha?

Absolutely, but maybe that's because I've been in college for the last five years, where are most intense classes were two 2-hour sessions each week, or three one-hours sessions.

All of my (actual) classes are like that, and that's not even including recitation.

Anyways, qazz42, does your school have a computer club or anything? I sometimes feel like I in a way gained more from that club than from my CS class -- close friends, more practical programming experience, and really fun memories. You still have 3 years and another semester, so don't fret too much -- you have plenty of time Very Happy
Kerm, no, I do not know what program we will be using Sad

rthprog, the guidance person was saying "not at this school" but, she might have misunderstood

of course, hofstra or some community college might offer some courses for high-schoolers. perhaps C# course
You're School may have CCOC. My school offered this off-campus school.

For instance, CCOC offered Animation, Law Enforcement, Engineering, etc. Each class at CCOC had the units for three classes. So, CCOC+Three HS Classes was equal to six classes in the school day.

However, one of the C's in CCOC stands for California. So... if your state does have it it'll be under a different name,
comicIDIOT wrote:

For instance, CCOC offered Animation, Law Enforcement, Engineering, etc. Each class at CCOC had the units for three classes. So, CCOC+Three HS Classes was equal to six classes in the school day.

However, one of the C's in CCOC stands for California. So... if your state does have it it'll be under a different name,
*Your school, not "You're School". Smile What does CCOC stand for? I couldn't seem to find it online. New York State / City might have something similar, but I sorta doubt it. And Hofstra is a good idea, Qazz!

@Rthprog & Qazz, you should definitely try to pursue what kind of clubs are available, and if there aren't any, you should start some!
Silly Kerm, do you really think my school will let me start my own club? They assume all teens are punks on drugs... (well, I might be exaggerating, but you get the idea)
qazz42 wrote:
Silly Kerm, do you really think my school will let me start my own club? They assume all teens are punks on drugs...
Well, that's what I thought when I saw the thread title...
Well qazz42, I am sorry that schools can be total jacka$$es sometimes. In fact, my school has NO computer courses whatsoever. There isn't even a club or anything.
Nothing except keyboarding, and I don't need to know how to type.
In fact, being from what my dad calls "the a$$ backwards South Carolina" I won't be respected by most colleges due to the fact there is a lack of advanced classes.

The "highly advanced" high schoolers middle/high school plan:
8th grade: Algebra I
9th grade: Geometry
10th grade: Algebra II
11th grade: Pre-Calculus
12th grade: Calculus

My Plan as I made it out years ago:
8th: Algebra I
9th: Geometry
10th: Algebra II
11th: Calculus
12th: Trigonometry + whatever else there is

Because of some extra-curricular activities I will be able to have early dismissal in 12th, but instead I am going to use that time to get advanced math in. What other math classes could I take, assuming my school had them?
comicIDIOT wrote:

You're grammer makes me cry.....
benryves wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Silly Kerm, do you really think my school will let me start my own club? They assume all teens are punks on drugs...

durrrr

I got pwned >_<

/me facepalms
qazz42 wrote:
benryves wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

durrrr

I got pwned >_<

/me facepalms
Ah, those British people and their different definitions of words. Laughing

@EpicFail, Calculus I in 11th grade is better than 12th, but still a bit on the late side. Sad
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
I won't be respected by most colleges due to the fact there is a lack of advanced classes.

The "highly advanced" high schoolers middle/high school plan:
8th grade: Algebra I
9th grade: Geometry
10th grade: Algebra II
11th grade: Pre-Calculus
12th grade: Calculus

My Plan as I made it out years ago:
8th: Algebra I
9th: Geometry
10th: Algebra II
11th: Calculus
12th: Trigonometry + whatever else there is

Because of some extra-curricular activities I will be able to have early dismissal in 12th, but instead I am going to use that time to get advanced math in. What other math classes could I take, assuming my school had them?

Colleges will consider you in the context of the opportunities you had. Plus, you can always take classes at a local college -- that's what I did when my school didn't have a certain class.
Rthprog is definitely right; the colleges that are worth going to don't apply blanket numerical criteria without adjusting for the background of a person. They'll look for what you've done in the context of your opportunities rather than simply what you've done. And Rthprog's idea regarding taking local college classes is a corker (and Qazz42 should consider the same).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours