I came here because I heard of jsTIfied and I wanted to use it (until now I always used TI's FLASH debugger). To get full functionality out of that emulator, I had to make an account, so that's what I did. I have some experience in ASM and TI-BASIC (yes, I am just answering the questions in KermMartian's original post). I have learned BASIC myself and assembly (mainly) from that 28-day-tutorial. Doors CS is a shell like MirageOS and ION, right? I have a TI-84+. I use the Ubuntu operating system and program in Pascal, Lua and some others (I also haven't heard of any Linux assemblers when I started, and I used TI Flash debugger through Wine, and now I was searching for something better, that is how I got here). I don't really have any projects going on.
Welcome to Cemetech fghsgh!
fghsgh wrote:
Doors CS is a shell like MirageOS and ION, right?

yes
mr womp womp wrote:
Welcome to Cemetech fghsgh!

Thank you!
Hello everyone,

I just got a Ti-84 Plus CE as a birthday present (or rather, I will be getting one soon, but I needed to see if it works as it will be hard to get a refund or exchange when in a different country). I have heard about TIs series of graphing calculators, but never actually used one, that's why it ended up on my wish list.

Professionally, I have been working on small embedded projects mainly concerned with data acquisition and signal processing, using uCs (ARM, 8051) and DSPs (TI ones, coincidentally) and programming them in C (mostly) and assembly (only when necessary - when I started as an inexperienced programmer, I wrote one program with way more assembly than necessary, in that DSPs strange assembly dialect full of quirks like delayed execution instructions. Not going to make this mistake again).

I'd like to write games, but unfortunately all the skills required for that (user interactivity, user interface, graphics, etc) are what my professional projects are not about.

I saw that there is a developer guide by TI for the Ti-83 plus calculators, but I could not find a similar document for the Ti-84 series including the CE. Did TI just skip the effort to produce one?
Hey, happy birthday and welcome to Cemetech CtrlEng!

I think you're really going to enjoy your CE! It has a very easy Basic language if you're interested in that. It can even can become even more powerful if you learn ICE. It'll also help you learn C and ASM since we have a great, experienced community in that field.

As for documentation, if you are talking about C or ASM development I couldn't find any documentation by TI. Sad However they do have a few guides I found here.
If you mean Basic development they have a guide book for that here however, I prefer the website TI Basic Developer since it has an amazing Starter Kit and amazing documentation on all the commands.

Hope this was helpful! Very Happy
TheLastMillennial wrote:
Hope this was helpful! Very Happy

I will look at the links when I have some spare time.

TI offers the TI-83 plus developers guide which looks like it contains all the in-depth technical information for programming the device in C or assembly. I would have expected TI to publish similar documents for the TI-84 plus series, but it seems like they are not inclined to do this.

I found the CE C libraries, but they are not supplied by TI and seem to be based in part on information gleamed by reverse engineering.

Zilog has a user guide and spec sheet for the eZ80 and an IDE, but this doesn't provide information on the calculators hardware outside the CPU and the IDE does not seem to support the calculator directly.

It appears neither TI nor Zilog are really motivated to provide an environment for effective development - TI as it is not one of the chips, and Zilog as they don't know the hardware.

I think I will continue my little rant on the C forum, though. Wink
Also, C is an excellent language to learn for the calculators, and it was developed by some of our fellow users. (All hail MateoConLechuga)
_iPhoenix_ wrote:
Also, C is an excellent language to learn for the calculators, and it was developed by some of our fellow users. (All hail MateoConLechuga)

I think Kernighan and Ritchie would disagree with this statement. Smile

But yes, I have already found and installed the CE C library and development package and looked through the source code of the libraries. Impressive work, given how little actual technical information TI has published about the TI84+CE hardware (or did I look in the wrong places?). Some of the questions I have are related to this, but I will post them shortly over on the C board.

However, I think it would be up to TI to release an actual SDK and libraries, possibly together with Zilog providing out-of-the-box support for the calculator in their ZDS. I am familiar with amount of hardware docs, examples, libraries, etc. available for microcontrollers, but there the manufacturer has an interest in convincing the design engineer that their uC is the right piece of hardware for the job. I have the feeling that TI just wants to sell calculators and isn't really interested or invested in people/third parties developing high-quality applications for them. Sad
CtrlEng wrote:
I have the feeling that TI just wants to sell calculators and isn't really interested or invested in people/third parties developing high-quality applications for them. Sad

I have that feeling too. During the Texas Instruments STEMnauts contest, one of their programs actually had a minor bug (a random comma or period) that caused the whole program to be non-functional, especially for those who don't know TI Basic. I pointed it out to them (well, Kerm tweeted them), and they fixed it a day later. I think that they themselves might be discouraged from programming at times Shock

BTW, welcome to Cemetech Very Happy
For posterity, I was talking about the C version for the TI-84+CE.
CtrlEng wrote:
However, I think it would be up to TI to release an actual SDK and libraries, possibly together with Zilog providing out-of-the-box support for the calculator in their ZDS. I am familiar with amount of hardware docs, examples, libraries, etc. available for microcontrollers, but there the manufacturer has an interest in convincing the design engineer that their uC is the right piece of hardware for the job. I have the feeling that TI just wants to sell calculators and isn't really interested or invested in people/third parties developing high-quality applications for them. Sad

Welcome Smile Although it would be nice if TI and/or Zilog officially supported the toolchain, be very glad that they do not. They are horrible software engineers; and really should just stick to hardware. They could not write an optimized function to save their life. You clearly don't know how much we treat this like a religion Wink
MateoConLechuga wrote:
You clearly don't know how much we treat this like a religion Wink

_iPhoenix_ wrote:
All hail MateoConLechuga)

Completely agreed, to some extent.
Hi, I am Drewster30, friend of _iPhoenix_. I like KSP and know nothing about coding. I also like to play minecraft.
Hi!

The KSP thread is here, for your information.
MateoConLechuga wrote:
They are horrible software engineers; and really should just stick to hardware.

Well ... they could throw some money at a company with more experience in making compilers. ARM had enough interest in having control over compiler design that they bought Keil a while ago.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
They could not write an optimized function to save their life.

I realized that when looking at the compiler output of my little test code snippet over in the C/C++ thread, yes.

MateoConLechuga wrote:
You clearly don't know how much we treat this like a religion Wink

I am pragmatic about optimizations; at some point, my work needs to ship or further optimizations will not improve the end product in way that the customer would notice. But simple and obvious optimizations should not be skipped.
Let's keep this topic on track. Introduce Yourself is for new users who want to familiarize other Cemetechians with themselves. If you would like to have a discussion that doesn't involve introducing yourself or other new members, you should make a topic!
Hello. I am new to this site, so I'll answer these questions.
What brings you to Cemetech? I saw this site a while ago when researching TI-83P things. I decided to join because I wanted to expand my knowledge on them.
Are you a programmer, or are you looking to learn? If so, what language(s) do you know or want to learn? I somewhat know TI-BASIC. I've been looking to learn that more indepthly, but it's really annoying without a connector cable. I have also looked into various computer languages, but have not settled on one yet.
What can we help you with? I'm not sure. I had a question that I will post on another thread.
Do you know about Doors CS/Doors CSE? No.
What kind of calculator do you have? TI-83Plus
Do you have computer programming experience? Not really.
Any cool projects you have going? None at the moment.
TI83Plus wrote:
Hello. I am new to this site, so I'll answer these questions.

Hello! Welcome to Cemetech!
TI83Plus wrote:
What brings you to Cemetech? I saw this site a while ago when researching TI-83P things. I decided to join because I wanted to expand my knowledge on them.

You've definitely come to the right place! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to make a topic about it!
TI83Plus wrote:
Are you a programmer, or are you looking to learn? If so, what language(s) do you know or want to learn? I somewhat know TI-BASIC. I've been looking to learn that more indepthly...

Luckily there's tons of great resources to help you understand BASIC better. namely the TI-BASIC starter kit, which I still refer to once in a while Laughing, and the Command index, which stores and explains every command your TI-83 does.
TI83Plus wrote:
...but it's really annoying without a connector cable...

There are some great emulators out there such as jsTIfied, and WabbitEmu.
TI83Plus wrote:
...I have also looked into various computer languages, but have not settled on one yet.

A great language to start out in is Python, a great language that's a little more difficult to learn is C. We have a great, experienced community in the C realm though so it's not that hard to learn.

TI83Plus wrote:
Do you know about Doors CS/Doors CSE? No.

DoorsCS is an amazing tool for programmers like you! It greatly expands the calculators functions and programming abilities. You can learn more here!

TI83Plus wrote:
What kind of calculator do you have? TI-83Plus

Really? I never would have guessed that! Razz
TI83Plus wrote:
Do you have computer programming experience? Not really.

No worries, I was the same way when I first came here, but now I'm quite good at BASIC and I'm learning C#.
TI83Plus wrote:
Any cool projects you have going? None at the moment.

I'll bet that may change soon. Very Happy
The SAX thing told me to introduce myself here.

I own a TI84+CE and have recently taken an interesting in scripting with it (nothing useful though), which prompted me to make an account here. Non-calculator things that I do are web design/development and running an tech support business.
Welcome, omw111! I hope to see and follow your projects if you decide to share them with us. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 129, 130, 131 ... 146, 147, 148  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 130 of 148
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours