DShiznit wrote:
So they just horde all the profits in a big vault and do nothing with it? Get real. Businesses use their profits to expand and grow over time. This is why there are Starbucks' and Wal-Marts everywhere. As GameStop(or EBGames, or any other chain that deals in used games) makes money over time, some of their savings go right back in to expanding stores, or buying new locations, both of which result in larger inventories.

Clearly you don't know how businesses work. Yes, companies own cash. They also use profits to pay dividends to shareholders, or give bonuses to the CEO, etc...

Profits are not always funneled back into the business.

Google, Apple, and Microsoft are all sitting on massive piles of money, for example.

Quote:
I think you do have a point here. I hadn't considered them encroaching on other markets, but I can definitely see how that would be a problem if that is the case. Then again, Wal-Mart and Best Buy also both make money on a lot more than just games, so it might not be much of an issue, unless they give up on selling games. Not sure I see this happening.

But that is also irrelevant to developers. Regardless of where you live in the US, you have easy access to new games - be it at a physical store, through digital download, or through online ordering.

Money dumped into the used game market doesn't help developers much at all, and only very indirectly anyway.
I think that Gamestop is a COMPLETE waste of money. I have a way better way to get games. Find a friend who wants a game of yours and trade. Just like Pokemon when I was a kid. Gamestop is absolutely cheating the game developers of their money. They sell the game for cheap, the buy the game for dirt cheap, and they rake in tons of money just because they are a medium for that Pokemon trade.
It really upsets me as a programmer to see other fellow peoples work be used to get money for a filthy rich business. The developers have to raise the price on the games all the time, especially the more complex, like Diablo II was back in 2000. That cost a fortune for a mere game! BUT if they got money from GameStop who is raking in all their money, they could easily make the games cheaper all around for everybody. Maybe as a future developer of America, I will stop such fraudulent thievery. But, I can't yet...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours