no, no, I meant it would just be calc connected by I/O cables.... no soldering or anything involved x.x
qazz42 wrote:
no, no, I meant it would just be calc connected by I/O cables.... no soldering or anything involved x.x
Ah, I see. Well, a two-calculator network would work with a simple I/O bridge, although more than two would require some soldering. My two-calculator network only required soldering because I needed the Arduino as a network monitor. Smile
ohhh, ok, so I wont need an Arduino?
qazz42 wrote:
ohhh, ok, so I wont need an Arduino?
*Arduino, and no, only if it becomes necessary to use an Arduino for the gCn (globalCALCnet, computer to calculator) bridge if the SilverLink proves infeasible. For a two-calculator network, a unit-to-unit cable will be more than sufficient.
aoah, ok, that makes alot more sense now ;D

and I fixed the misspelling...
qazz42 wrote:
aoah, ok, that makes alot more sense now ;D

and I fixed the misspelling...
Thanks for that. Laughing

So I sent over my initial testbed program from four years ago, with some new modifications, to three of my calculators, and none of them crashes, although I discovered that I forgot to make them idle after CALCnet2.2 is initialized now that it's no longer in Doors CS and Doors CS isn't doing the idling itself. Smile I also discovered that the Arduinoscope program is incorrectly square-waving the output; I'm looking into the causes for that.
I wonder, will gCn be worked on? Or was that just like "internet explorer 1.3 beta" ?
qazz42 wrote:
I wonder, will gCn be worked on? Or was that just like "internet explorer 1.3 beta" ?
You mean v0.2 alpha? Laughing No, I hope to eventually work on it, although CALCnet, then M-Game and CivSim II, are higher priorities.
eh, fair enough, I think gCn is a bit out or reach for now

CALCnet FTW
qazz42 wrote:

CALCnet FTW
Maybe not out of reach, but outside of fun and awe-inspiring tech demos, less useful in the long run. Smile I found an issue in the CALCnet2.2 test program, so I'm doing some more tests now.
cool, is CALCnet a program or app?
qazz42 wrote:
cool, is CALCnet a program or app?
Oh, it definitely won't be an App; I would never make something (within reason, I guess) that couldn't be run from Doors CS. Smile It's a 1KB program for now; we'll see how it evolves.
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

CALCnet FTW
Maybe not out of reach, but outside of fun and awe-inspiring tech demos, less useful in the long run. Smile I found an issue in the CALCnet2.2 test program, so I'm doing some more tests now.

I actually think there's a interesting use for calc <-> internet. Wink (Besides the usual fun and such)
eh, fair enough, I just wanted to know Smile I think a prgm would be better

CANZ I DO TESTINGZS?
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:

CALCnet FTW

I actually think there's a interesting use for calc <-> internet. Wink (Besides the usual fun and such)
I think there's lots of interesting uses, but if it uses custom hardware, no one is going to use it. Even if it uses commodity hardware (ie, the SilverLink and/or DirectUSB link) it'll be hard to convince people to use calculator internet tools when there's a perfectly good computer right in front of them. Smile

Qazz, nothing for you to test yet.
*bump* Made some progress in debugging and modifying my existing testbed program to be a bit closer to correctness. One crash I got makes me think that it actually transmitted properly, but once I fixed the crash I couldn't replicate the behavior.

Edit: I also found these tidbits:
Code:
;This file contains some routines:
;      + Cn2_Clear_Recbuf
;      + Cn2_Clear_Sendbuf
;      + Cn2_Setup
;      + Cn2_Int_Start
;      + Cn2_Setdown
;What is Implemented:
; rec frame
; Int exit on unmatched SID
; rec frame wrapper
; send frame wrapper
; byte-receive routine
; byte-send ; byte-get routine
; Collision detection
; Cn2_Int_SendByte_OuterLoop masking H/L check
; get and store SID
; doublecheck rrc c and rlc c opcode functions -> decided on sla and sra instead
; Doublecheck send defines H/L in header.asm
; Reset setbuffer status flag on successful send
; Set getbuffer status flag on successful receive
; check linestate for send xmitbyte start
; collide receive if receive buffer contains data
; ack read on send frame
; ack write on read frame
; send frame
Awww, really? Oh well, I can test later when there is something I can test, please tell me if any testing is needed
qazz42 wrote:
Awww, really? Oh well, I can test later when there is something I can test, please tell me if any testing is needed
Will do. I just modified the program to do something different if a message is successfully received, so I'll see if the problem was that nothing was getting sent, or it actually was and it just wasn't getting displayed.

Edit: On the minus side, still no success on transmission. On the plus side, fixed an issue with my netalyzer software that makes it a bit more reliable.

hmm, what soldering would be required to connect more than one calc?
qazz42 wrote:

hmm, what soldering would be required to connect more than one calc?
At minimum, cutting apart two or more I/O cables, stripping the leads, and connecting them all together again. At a less-minimum, using some CAT5 to extend the network 10 feet or so (you couldn't get further without some booster hardware). Nothing too electrically-challenging, or even requiring any components other than I/O cables and wire.

On a related note, I've been occasionally staring at CALCnet2.2 in the midst of all the posting and drama that has been going on, so I'm hoping to bring some solid news of progress today!

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours