Is learing assembly worth the effort?
Yes, z80 is a far better language than TI-BASIC
 60%  [ 3 ]
No, z80 is an evil language!
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

I wouldn't use the word creates. I would say it designates that portion of ram as it. Also remember that when you load hl into ram you load l into the first byte and h into the second. for example lets say this is ram:

$9000,$9001,$9002,$9003,$9004
__$0___$0____$0____$0___$0_
and we equate $9000 to Bank. if we

ld hl,$1234
ld (Bank),hl

ram will look like this

$9000,$9001,$9002,$9003,$9004
_$34___$12___$0___$0____$0_
@Ti-FreakWare: Pokémon? What are you doing with the game?
Note the backwards loading into ram. That is called little-endian. Its the type of processor the z80 is Smile
Precisely. And it's a pain in the neck. Sad
Ahhh...Now I see what little-endian is. So you equate a section of ram as a variable, and load things backwards into it, so

Code:
ld hl,$1428

stores $28 to h and $14 to l?
No. little-endian does not apply to loading values directly into registers, as our extended argument established. Very Happy
Lol Laughing loading into 16 bit registers is normal ie ld hl,$1234 would be h=$12 and l=$34, but when you load it into ram, they get swapped around (remember each address is only one byte so this has to overflow into the next byte). This annoying process is why it is called a little-endian processor. This only deals with loading to and from memory.[/code]

Edit: view the crappy diagram I tried to format above for more detail Very Happy

Also if you are getting confused I wouldn't worry about this little-endian thing yet. As long as when you load to memory with a 16bit register pair you account for the extra byte and load from memory with a 16bit register pair, you can pretty much forget about little-endian, as it won't conscern you Smile
Indeed. For if you do
Code:
ld (MyMem),hl
;...stuff...
ldhl,(MyMem)
it basically cancels out. It only is important if your'e messing directly with the RAM like I do with Doors CS. Smile
Grea! One less thing to worry about, at least for now. Also, does anyone know of a good emulator for 84+SE 2.21 or 83+ 1.17? I need something to test on so I don't mess up my ram.
TILem, but you need GTK+ for that.
GTK+? What is it and where can I get it?
there is a link in the TILem readme, I would get the one that metions something about Glade.
Thanks, I'll try that.
also, get rom8x for rom dumping (only program that works on 83+ or 84+), but you will also need an 8XU from education.ti.com
TILem is definitely the way to go.
Ya, I was having problems before, when I was trying to get both TASM and Tilem running. It turnned out that I had deleted the tasm80.tab which is apparently important Just Joking Laughing But at the time I didn't know what I was doing! I couldn't figure out for a week why TASM wasn't working Laughing
I got and installed TilEM and the GTK+ libraries and put a rom image in the TilEM folder, but it still gives me an error message that it couldn't find any rom images. Could someone help with this?
Kuro wrote:
I got and installed TilEM and the GTK+ libraries and put a rom image in the TilEM folder, but it still gives me an error message that it couldn't find any rom images. Could someone help with this?

you have to dump the ROM's from your calculator, name them a certain way, and then place em in a certain folder (i believe - check the tilem readme for more info)
Just make sure you name the ROMs as described in the readme file.
xp.rom for 83+ and xz.rom for 84+SE

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 3 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours