Login [Register]
Don't have an account? Register now to chat, post, use our tools, and much more.
qazz42 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
qazz42 wrote:
Of course, in modern society, not as many pay attention to religion as, lets say, 100 years ago :/
You say that because you live in New York, in the liberal northeast. If you lived in the south or midwest, your upbringing would have been much different, and you would not think that religion was something people keep well-separated from the rest of their lives.


good point, but, remember that just because a religion says it is wrong doesnt mean it is legally wrong. the constitution and the bible are different. Smile
And again we get back to the problem that many people who are strongly influenced by and invested in religion do not necessarily support or agree with the separation of church and state.
Well too, freaking, bad, if you want your child to go to a school that supports god, go to a Catholic School, leave the public schools alone....
qazz42 wrote:
Well too, freaking, bad, if you want your child to go to a school that supports god, go to a Catholic School, leave the public schools alone....
Actually, many people (like me) chose to go to a Catholic high school for academic reasons. I went to the high school with the highest mean SAT score in the nation, which happens to be a Catholic school.
Same-sex marriage should be legal.

If you oppose it, then don't marry someone of the same sex as you. If you oppose others doing it, boo-freaking-hoo, get over it. Marriage is entirely man-made, and it's meaning has *drastically* changed over the years. There is nothing traditional about the modern incarnation of marriage, so that argument can go die in a fire because it is completely retarded.

Also, using the bible as an argument just points out how much of an idiot you are. Bible says all sorts of ridiculously stupid crap, like that marriage is only valid if the woman is a virgin, otherwise she should be stoned. Yeah, if you use the bible to argue against gay marriage, then you are arguing that only virgin women can get married. Chew on that for a while.
alberthrocks wrote:
As long as they don't teach homosexuality or coerce it, I'm perfectly fine with it. (I'm heterosexual.) I'll let my children or people I know decide for themselves, not the government.


I don't get this. Are you saying we shouldn't instruct people to be gay, or that we shouldn't include any mention of non-heterosexual orientations in sexual education?

Either way, it's reactionary nonsense. You can't instruct a person to have a specific sexual orientation. I was exposed to heterosexuality all of my life. Guess I just wasn't paying attention! Rolling Eyes
Zera wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:
As long as they don't teach homosexuality or coerce it, I'm perfectly fine with it. (I'm heterosexual.) I'll let my children or people I know decide for themselves, not the government.


I don't get this. Are you saying we shouldn't instruct people to be gay, or that we shouldn't include any mention of non-heterosexual orientations in sexual education?

Either way, it's reactionary nonsense. You can't instruct a person to have a specific sexual orientation. I was exposed to heterosexuality all of my life. Guess I just wasn't paying attention! Rolling Eyes
Haha Zera, exactly. I think alberthrocks is under the mistaken impression that homosexuality or heterosexuality is a choice dictated by upbringing, such that having gay parents makes children gay and having straight parents makes children straight. I don't have a URL off the top of my head, but I've seen lots of statistics and studies proving that as complete hogwash.
My mom is bi. And my brother is bi. So, that could be related. But I'm straight. So while there could be some sort of genetic correlation, there certainly isn't a connection with upbringing.
I believe this simple philosophy.

Don't publicly express your marital rights. Please.
Hold hands, don't kiss.

Can't really change the world past that.
Raylin wrote:
I believe this simple philosophy.

Don't publicly express your marital rights. Please.
Hold hands, don't kiss.

Can't really change the world past that.
But do you think that for straight couples as well, or only gay couples? Would you have a problem with straight couples kissing in public? If so, then your view is universally consistent and thus (at least with regards to bias) unimpeachable. If not, then your philosophy is less simple than it appears on the surface. Wink
Kllrnohj wrote:
Same-sex marriage should be legal.

If you oppose it, then don't marry someone of the same sex as you. If you oppose others doing it, boo-freaking-hoo, get over it. Marriage is entirely man-made, and it's meaning has *drastically* changed over the years. There is nothing traditional about the modern incarnation of marriage, so that argument can go die in a fire because it is completely retarded.

Also, using the bible as an argument just points out how much of an idiot you are. Bible says all sorts of ridiculously stupid crap, like that marriage is only valid if the woman is a virgin, otherwise she should be stoned. Yeah, if you use the bible to argue against gay marriage, then you are arguing that only virgin women can get married. Chew on that for a while.




Very Happy I agree
Kllrnohj++
Kllrnohj wrote:

Also, using the bible as an argument just points out how much of an idiot you are. Bible says all sorts of ridiculously stupid crap, like that marriage is only valid if the woman is a virgin, otherwise she should be stoned.


Ahem! I happen to support my religion and I take that *extremely* offensive. Sad
Support your religion all you like, but the consitution dictates that the church and state *must* be seperate, so a religious based argument is completely and totally unacceptable, and the only argument that would fly is one based entirely outside of religion, hence why I said that no one was to justify their position based on religion in my first post!
I was pointing to the 'Bible says all sorts of ridiculously stupid crap' part.
Well, it does. Anyone who has read the whole thing could notice that.
I have no problem with the bible, it leads millions of people to do kind things (usually), however, it is quite dated.
Snake X wrote:
Kllrnohj wrote:

Also, using the bible as an argument just points out how much of an idiot you are. Bible says all sorts of ridiculously stupid crap, like that marriage is only valid if the woman is a virgin, otherwise she should be stoned.


Ahem! I happen to support my religion and I take that *extremely* offensive. Sad
Wait, so are you denying that the Bible says that, or suggesting that it should be interpreted in some non-literal manner?
hmm, I beleive Joshua (or Johna) "kept the sun still" wouldnt this hint that the sun revolves around the Earth?
im just saying i take offence to the discrimination of the bible. Religion is a very touchy subject..
The bible is very obviously flawed in several places, and the "discrimination" of it is based in fact. I'm sorry, but I stand firm on this.
or perhaps he stopped the earth from revolving around the sun.... Would that have some serious repercussions though?
  
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 22
» All times are GMT - 5 Hours
 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Advertisement