My brother Chris (Im Bob) and his friend Clay are planning on creating a YouTube series called HackBusters - wherein they either prove events like that below (which will be the first episode) to be either "Try it yourself" (non-hacks), "Hacked," or "undetermined"

But they only have three events in thier lineup:
1.) Game: Super Mario World. Suspected Hack: Lemmy's Castle without moving
2.) Game: Zelda: Majora's Mask Suspected Hack: The ability to ditch Navi by throwing a Deku nut when she speaks.
3.) Game: Zelda: Ocarina of Time Suspected Hack: Turning items into bottles during collection sequence.

Please contribute suspected hacks for them to consider.
Can't say I know anything that would be appropriate for something like this, but it sounds like a cool concept. Verifications of those hacks have not been previously been done anywhere?
Sounds like an interesting concept for a YouTube series.

Also, the fairy in Majora's Mask is Tatl, not Navi Wink
This is a pretty neat idea. A couple of suggestions though:
1. Have something at the end that says the status, like on Mythbusters
2. Just use the game soundtrack and sound effects
merthsoft wrote:

That was their plan - although they're gonna also give commentary, once Clay gets the headsets.

That wasn't theirs - that's what they're gonna try to HackBust.
merthsoft wrote:
Ah, you mean like BUSTED and PLAUSIBLE? Excellent idea, I concur. I vote that it should be in some kind of mspainted 8-bit graphics, though. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:
Ah, you mean like BUSTED and PLAUSIBLE? Excellent idea, I concur. I vote that it should be in some kind of mspainted 8-bit graphics, though. Smile

You should do "Real", "Hacked", and "Undetermined". Can I make the graphical thingies? Very Happy

How would you distinguish between Hacked and Undetermined though? Would you attempt to hack the game yourselves to get the results or what?
KeithJohansen wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
merthsoft wrote:

You should do "Real", "Hacked", and "Undetermined". Can I make the graphical thingies? Very Happy

I'll ask Chris - but in the meantime make them for me to show him (and post them here).
KeithJohansen, I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Depending what I think of them, I might try my hand at some competition. Wink I really need to focus on my Java/Hadoop research now, though, so I might also not.
Here's my currently drafted idea for your "Real", "Hacked", and (now) "Unknown" images:

I like them a lot, Keith! I'd give a vote to those, at any rate.
well this is very interesting to watch Smile

i think i might be looking forward to them actually...

subscribed!
WhiteValkery wrote:

subscribed!

To who? My brother doesn't have an account yet.
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:

subscribed!

that youtube video, isn;t that it?

well... if it isn;t... then i guess i will unsubscribe it...

tell me which one to subscribe when it does come out ok? Smile
WhiteValkery wrote:
Xeno_Cre8or wrote:
WhiteValkery wrote:

subscribed!

that youtube video, isn;t that it?

well... if it isn;t... then i guess i will unsubscribe it...

tell me which one to subscribe when it does come out ok? Smile

Okay.
Do they have any plans to expand beyond looking for bugs and tricks in games, or is that enough of a focus for them to continue making episodes for a while?
KermMartian wrote:
Do they have any plans to expand beyond looking for bugs and tricks in games, or is that enough of a focus for them to continue making episodes for a while?

they're not looking for them, but looking to see if they're possible. That is the idea behind the series, so I don't see them going beyond that. However, Chris alone will be doing "The GlitchHiker's Guide to (insert game name refrence here*)"

essentially a 100% walktrough but with comments by the characters instead of the players.
Twin Rova: You can't beat us, we're Fire and Ice
Link: I have the Mirror shield. Look upon your ugly faces
Twin Rova: Fine then, we'll combine our bodies - and with added beauty and attack power, we will kill you
Link: But don't your ages add together, too?
Rova: Curse our combined agge of 3,786! (dies)

*For example, Super Mario Galaxy would be "The GlitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
as to explain your video above, take a look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0PaPpmGa8
(they did a good job syncing the game events (sounds) with the music)

its called Auto Mario, its a kinda program that can make super mario world levels where mario never "moves" but is pushed along by invisible movement floors and various jump/boost blocks.
*facepalms* at "Glitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
Dontar wrote:
as to explain your video above, take a look at this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz0PaPpmGa8
(they did a good job syncing the game events (sounds) with the music)

its called Auto Mario, its a kinda program that can make super mario world levels where mario never "moves" but is pushed along by invisible movement floors and various jump/boost blocks.

But this is the level that inspired Auto Mario - but was it a hack?

KermMartian wrote:
*facepalms* at "Glitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

I still don't know how that one'll work - Mario's doing this alone, there's no Navi-like character for him to talk to. With Sunshine he could talk to FLUDD, with Galaxy 2 he could talk to the orange Luma following him in Co-op mode, with NSMBW he could talk to the other players, but Galaxy 1 there's no one.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours