Okay, so I'm going to be spending what free time in college I have learning C++ and how to make a game in it. I don't care how complicated or time-consuming this is going to be. I am going to try and I am going to spend as much time and effort as necessary to accomplish this goal.

Anywho, I don't really know what all I'd need to accomplish designing a game. The game is best analogized to Fire Emblem or Super Robot Wars. What all would I need to accomplish making a game such as this?

So far, it seems I should be installing:
- Dev-C++
- MinGW (?)
- Allegro

What else should I use? Is there anything on the list I should nix or replace?
SDL.
Dev-C++ is old as dirt, skip that POS.

If you are going to be doing development in Windows, use Visual C++. Builds far better EXEs than MinGW, anyway.

Likewise, don't use Allegro, do it yourself (since the point seems to be to learn). Use SDL to do the window creation and, if it will be 3D, to do the OpenGL context creation. Also use SDL for input and sound.
Isn't SDL its own language? Confused
Agreed with Kllr.
Visual C++ Is great.

If you are using visual C++ I would also suggest installing Microsoft's XNA Game Studio.
willrandship wrote:
Isn't SDL its own language? Confused

This SDL: http://www.libsdl.org/

Svakk wrote:
If you are using visual C++ I would also suggest installing Microsoft's XNA Game Studio.

XNA is for .NET languages. C++ CLR is a horrible mess that is designed solely to create glue between native C++ and .NET. Coding it is a horrible idea.

So don't use XNA for this - avoid it. Now, if you were doing this in C# and were OK with Windows-only (or wanted to run it on the 360), then XNA is a fantastic choice, but it's the wrong one for the situation you've described.
Visual C++ 2010 Express Edition? Or should I buy Ultimate Edition?

So, updated list:
VC++
SDL

Missing anything? Anything else?
KeithJohansen wrote:

So, updated list:
VC++
SDL

I'd stick with express till you get to college which will most likely give you access to the full version thanks to MSDNAA.
TheStorm wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:

So, updated list:
VC++
SDL

I'd stick with express till you get to college which will most likely give you access to the full version thanks to MSDNAA.

I'm in college right now. So, uh, how does this MSDNAA thing work?
KeithJohansen wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:

So, updated list:
VC++
SDL

I'm in college right now. So, uh, how does this MSDNAA thing work?
it depends on the school, but most have a link to the sign up page somewhere on the CS or Engineering departments webpage.
http://www.eas.uccs.edu/it/msdnaa.shtml/
... what?
KeithJohansen wrote:
Basically, you need to get a professor to approve you. Razz That's what that page boils down to.
Code::Blocks is a good IDE, although it looks like you've already got one.
SDL is a must. Tons of fun there.
Mix it with OpenGL, and you are going to be one happy programmer. Smile
(DirectX is allowed, but never really heard of that kind of integration before)
Oh yeah, someone else (DThought? WhiteValkery?) mentioned Code::Blocks in another topic, one that _player had started about good software to put on his computer once he wiped it. What do you like about it? I used to be a big Dev-C++ fan, and still have it on my desktop next to Visual Studio Express C++ and C#. Kllrnohj, what are your objections to Dev-C++?
yeah, code blocks is a nice one...
easy and simple to use...
good for beginners...
while it doesn't kill your computer's speed and stuff even when NOT running it... like what microsoft visual basic does....

and here is a really good tutorial:
http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html#c++tutorial
Code::Blocks is a nice one to use, but can be slightly annoying for dependency inclusion (includes, linking to libraries, etc.). Probably because I'm used to typing them out instead (-I/usr/include, -lglib2.0, etc.).

Just my 2 cents.
alberthrocks wrote:
Code::Blocks is a nice one to use, but can be slightly annoying for dependency inclusion (includes, linking to libraries, etc.). Probably because I'm used to typing them out instead (-I/usr/include, -lglib2.0, etc.).

Just my 2 cents.

thanks... i will take one of those 2 cents Smile
WhiteValkery wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

thanks... i will take one of those 2 cents Smile
I'll give it a try; it looks nice from the screenshots. I doubt it will supplant Dev-C++ or Visual Studio C++ as my IDEs of choice, though. Oh, and has anyone tried out and liked Eclipse's C++ IDE?
Dev-C++ is junk by today's standards. See: Why you shouldn't use Dev-C++.

This article may also provide interesting reading, but it's your own funeral. Wink
KermMartian wrote:
KeithJohansen wrote:
Basically, you need to get a professor to approve you. Razz That's what that page boils down to.

Dreamspark. Basically all you need is a .edu email address.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours