What kind of physical navigation do you want?
Touch pad
 0%  [ 0 ]
Arrow keys
 0%  [ 0 ]
Arrow keys with a small, flat joystick in the center
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

As the title says: Do you want a touch pad (with the usual arrow keys surrounding it), arrow keys, or arrow keys with a small, flat joystick in the center?
(I'm referring to the Nspire's Touchpad, see here for details: http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_nspire.html)

Think about how useful it might be, the cost, and support in the OS for it.
I vote arrow keys with a joystick nub, OR arrow keys with this kind of dealie, which I was going to put into the Ultimate Calculator 3 but eventually decided against:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9308
Looks nice! Very Happy That would be quite interesting to use.
I side with the joystick option though, but this could be implemented later on. (Vote again, perhaps?)
alberthrocks wrote:
I side with the joystick option though, but this could be implemented later on. (Vote again, perhaps?)
That roller ball thing would more be for mouse navigation. For gaming and arrow keys, I think a little joystick between arrow buttons would still be the best option.
KermMartian wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:
That roller ball thing would more be for mouse navigation. For gaming and arrow keys, I think a little joystick between arrow buttons would still be the best option.

Ahh, I see. Actually, there *is* a possibility for a mouse in the OS. IMO, I would think a little flat joystick (clickable as well) is pretty good for a mouse interface. What are your thoughts?
What about one of these things?

http://www.cemetech.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93231#93231

Yeah, something that that was in my head. (And I've seen that little joystick before! Wink )

My idea is something like this, but clickable, and also square. (Looks a little bit like the touchpad, but isn't)
alberthrocks wrote:
Yeah, something that that was in my head. (And I've seen that little joystick before! Wink )

My idea is something like this, but clickable, and also square. (Looks a little bit like the touchpad, but isn't)
If you click the url about that YouTube video, you'll see how I modified it to be clickable. Something like that (although I could make that much thinner)?
KermMartian wrote:
alberthrocks wrote:

If you click the url about that YouTube video, you'll see how I modified it to be clickable. Something like that (although I could make that much thinner)?

Yup, something like that. Although I would prefer only one depressible button (actually, I think that's how it's supposed to be, so I'm likely wrong).

Unfortunately, we won't see this idea come to fruition until OTARM. It's 17 vs 3 on the Omnimaga board to maintain simplicity (which is a good idea, anyway).

Nevertheless, I like the idea. Wink I would make a square for the little nub, and then it's perfect. Also, it's low enough to be just 1-2 mm above the arrow keys to look a little like the Touchpad.
That is indeed just one; I just have the four for stability. What is 17 v 3, 17 for juts a simple set of four arrow keys?
KermMartian wrote:
That is indeed just one; I just have the four for stability. What is 17 v 3, 17 for juts a simple set of four arrow keys?

Yes. 18 vs. 3 right now, 18 being just the 4 arrow keys, 3 being the joystick in the middle, surrounded by the 4 arrow keys.
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Yes. 18 vs. 3 right now, 18 being just the 4 arrow keys, 3 being the joystick in the middle, surrounded by the 4 arrow keys.
That's fair. The mechanics of the joystick thing are either going to be something expensive to buy or expensive to manufacture, anyway, so it's probably for the best.
*bump* So what's the verdict? Straight arrow keys, even though 100% of the people voted otherwise in this topic?
That's all folks! Smile Voting is now closed, and votes will now be tallied.
The final feature list will be announced soon, so stay tuned.

Thanks to everyone who voted! Very Happy
alberthrocks wrote:
That's all folks! Smile Voting is now closed, and votes will now be tallied.
The final feature list will be announced soon, so stay tuned.

Thanks to everyone who voted! Very Happy
You didn't answer my question. >_<M
KermMartian wrote:

KermMartian wrote:
*bump* So what's the verdict? Straight arrow keys, even though 100% of the people voted otherwise in this topic?

Straight arrow keys it is. I'll save that fun idea for OTARM. OTZ80 really doesn't need it, we're aiming for TI-83/84 features (but better, obviously), and it's definitely cheaper.
alberthrocks wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

KermMartian wrote:

Straight arrow keys it is. I'll save that fun idea for OTARM. OTZ80 really doesn't need it, we're aiming for TI-83/84 features (but better, obviously), and it's definitely cheaper.
That's fine, I can live with that. I appreciate the clarification. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours