I'm about to install Win7 (clean install, wiping the hard drive) What sort of things should I install when its done installing win7? So far:

Chrome
FireFox
notepad++
python

Help me please Smile
Starcraft II
l o l, first I'll have to buy the disk for SCII, but will probably do that Smile
Office 2007
PuTTY
Filezilla
GIMP
Adobe Reader
Instant Messaging client of choice
DCS 7 SDK
Avast! Antivirus
Blender! Smile Fun little 3D designer/animator/compositor.
Inkscape (for vector art)
FileZilla (if you do file transfers a lot)
XChat (IRC client)
Audacity (sound editor)
Assault cube
mIRC (or xchat)
TI-Connect (unless I can get tilp working)
Paint.NET
visual C# studio
Zend server
Tortoise svn
Nspire SDK
Lego mindstorms software (specifically the C development stuff)
Cave story
Unreal Tournament 2004
WabbitEmu
MagicISO (for mounting ISOs of your favorite Linux builds)
Python
VLC media player
7zip
Opera?
Steam (portal!)
Some flavor of free CAD software (does that even exist...)
-Office 2007
+OpenOffice 3

Free CAD: Google SketchUp, but it's barely a full fledged CAD.
-magicISO
+Daemon Tool Lite

Combined Community Codec Pack+MPC Homecinema
FreeBuild: The Building Game

As for free cad, brlcad is the only one I know of and its learning curve is through the roof.
What about a CAD program that would be used in like... a foundations of technology class?
open office suite
firefox and like a bajillion addons!
if you're very worried about virus stuff and avast isnt enough: malwarebytes(the two seem to work fairly well together)
a decent media player (mplayer, vlc, etc[no, that last one is not a media player:)])
Quote:
Instant Messaging client of choice

my personal preference is pidgin portable
7zip(or peazip, if you wish)
i have no experience with windows 7, so i dont feel comfortable saying anything else
EDIT: hmm.. it seems 6 people have posted since i started writing(posting comes in chunks on this forum)

blender is fun, portal is free now on the valve site(i believe), and python is a must
TheStorm wrote:
-magicISO
+Daemon Tool Lite
Doesn't work on Win7 last time I checked (which, to be fair, was a year ago). Even if they fixed it, though, I was really annoyed how much bloatware, how many toolbars, and how much extra stuff it wanted to install last time I used in on XP.

TheStorm wrote:
Is the CCCP still necessary with VLC? I thought it wasn't.
That'll most likely be a AutoDesk Product, if I had to guess it'll be AutoCAD or Inventor, with a slight chance of DWS Solidworks or Siemens UGS NX6/7.5.
AutoCAD, that's what I was thinking of.
KermMartian wrote:
TheStorm wrote:
-magicISO
+Daemon Tool Lite
Doesn't work on Win7 last time I checked (which, to be fair, was a year ago). Even if they fixed it, though, I was really annoyed how much bloatware, how many toolbars, and how much extra stuff it wanted to install last time I used in on XP.

TheStorm wrote:
Is the CCCP still necessary with VLC? I thought it wasn't.

No CCCP is not really nessisary but if he want to be able to use any hardware decoding his GFX card may offer a directshow based player is a must, plus VLC is rather ugly.

As for Daemon Tools Lite, everyone at the Lan's I go to swear by it, as long as you remember to uncheck all the bloatwear durring the isntall.
Wait... Why do I want to mount linux ISO files again?

Oh, and should I use xChat or mIRC? Did mIRC ever change that thing where you could use it for free forever?
Personal Suggestions:
FruityLoops Studio 9
Modio
Microsoft Visual Suite
Microsoft XNA Game Studio
iTunes
Roxio Creator DE
Finale Notepad
Unreal Development Kit
Snagit
Norton Internet Security
Adobe Photoshop CS4
Adobe Flash

Ones other people suggested and I agree with:
GIMP
Notepad++
AutoCAD
Microsoft Office
7-Zip
Python
WabbitEmu
TI-Connect
Blender
Audacity
Filezilla
Adobe Reader
Google Chrome
_player1537 wrote:
Wait... Why do I want to mount linux ISO files again?

Oh, and should I use xChat or mIRC? Did mIRC ever change that thing where you could use it for free forever?
I like XChat better than mIRC; it's lighter weight. You might want to mount various types of Linux ISO files, or other ISO files, who knows?
wow... i dont need to install things... but this is making me want to add some of those programs XD

oh... my list:
Geometry Wars
VLC media player
notepad++
codeblocks
starcraft
DVDvideosoft (youtube downloader and stuff)
Wyzo (a firefox variant that is good for megaupload and stuff)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours