I need a game that is very simple in rules and play, but requires a slight bit of abstract thinking. It also must not be binary in nature, that is, it is not simply "win" or "lose". A game where you can do better or worse, bowling for example. This rules out things like tic tac toe. Board-ish games are preferable but not required. If you can just make up a game that fits these requirements just explain the rules to me. Thanks very much.
Hnefatafl. It's a win / lose objective, but the conditions for doing so vary depending on which side you play. There are multiple ways to score a win or a loss, ranging from escaping the board to capturing or cornering all of your opponent's pieces.
Not really looking for a game with multiple ways to win, or so many pieces/rules. Thanks though.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
Not really looking for a game with multiple ways to win, or so many pieces/rules. Thanks though.
I can't think of anything off the top of my head that's a board game, just games of skill like archery, bowling, etc. Do you have any more specific parameters for which you're searching?
You can look into [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abalone_(board_game)]Abalone[/url]. It's a straightforward and abstract game.

EDIT: No clue by the URL tag isn't working.
Zera wrote:
You can look into Abalone. It's a straightforward and abstract game.

EDIT: No clue by the URL tag isn't working.
I think it doesn't like parentheses. I changed them to %28 and %29 respectively.
Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
I need a game that is very simple in rules and play, but requires a slight bit of abstract thinking. It also must not be binary in nature, that is, it is not simply "win" or "lose". A game where you can do better or worse, bowling for example. This rules out things like tic tac toe. Board-ish games are preferable but not required. If you can just make up a game that fits these requirements just explain the rules to me. Thanks very much.

http://transformice.com/en/

I think this should be what you are looking for save up yer cheese and buy a eye patch.

lo|olo|olo|olo|olo|olo|olo|olo|olo|olo|ol heeeheheheheheeh ahahahahahahaha

Posting a flash game I make my self laugh.
Kerm, just a game that isn't merely win or lose, there need to be shades of gray, like chess for example. You can win by a small margin or by a huge margin. But chess is far too complicated, and also the margins are often zero-sum in the event of a close win (may have a small material advantage/disadvantage but a big positional advantage). Also for example, in Tron you can win or lose, but you can win really really quickly or it can be a close game. The reason tic tac toe doesn't fit this category is because the margin between an easily won game isn't too far from an easily lost game.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours