I'm sure you've all heard of this, but let me refresh your memory. There's a plan to build a mosque only 2 blocks from where the World Trade Center once stood. This has sparked fierce protest and even a lawsuit.

I honestly don't see how anything can or should be done to stop this. This is a completely privately funded project. They own the land. They have permits to build there. Why should anyone else be allowed to stop them? I get that it feels like a "f*ck you" to some, who are still hung up on Islam being an evil religion responsible for death and destruction. But what these people don't realize is that Muslims are to 9/11 as Christians are to Sarah Palin. No one in their right mind ever wanted that to happen.

What do you guys think?
That you are right and the mosque is fine.
You can't classify a whole group of people by a small internal sub-group.
Though it could get the conspiracy theorists going. Razz
calcdude84se wrote:
That you are right and the mosque is fine.
You can't classify a whole group of people by a small internal sub-group.
Though it could get the conspiracy theorists going. Razz
I understand where some people are coming from, but I find the Islam=9/11 Terrorists view that I believe this controversy supports in people's minds is quite narrow. Razz
I think those protesting are out of line, but choosing that as a site for a mosque may also not have been the most tactful decision ever made. A bit like building a church at the location of a particularly bloody battle during the crusades.
Personally, I think it's fairly poor taste. The American masses have fallen into believing the stereotype that all Islamics are radical terrorists. Building a Mosque near Ground Zero is only going to further strain the already badly strained relationship between non-Islamic America and the Islamic people. I can understand the point of this project as, to me, it's an attempt at saying "Hey, we don't hate you. This is proof that we don't want any more harsh feelings between us." but in the end, the masses are only going to believe "the terrorists won".

And, for the heck of it, enjoy Greg Gutfeld's proposition on the matter
I read about that. I hope he goes through with it, that would be f*cking hilarious...

Also, did you guys know there's ALREADY a mosque 4 blocks from ground zero? It's been there since before there were towers to knock down. Since the Muslim population in New York has obviously grown a lot since it was built, it's logical to assume they need another, larger facility. Why not build it in a part of New York that could use some new buildings?
Just like T.V. and the internet is a distraction to allow the government to give us all AIDS and autism by means of vaccination[/real crazy conspiracy theroy O_o]
This whole thing is MESSED UP! Mad
Why would they want to build a mosque next to ground zero. That's like spitting in the face of everybody who died there. Their mosque is all okay, but they should totally put it somewhere else. Some person whose families died in the attack is going to burn the darn thing to the ground. Freedom of religion is one thing. They can worship whatever the heck they want, but when you build it in a place where thousands and thousands are going to be offended, that disrespects me and everybody else who cared about that. You can't piss off people when you worship. That's just not right!
All in all, a terrible idea. I can't BELIEVE Obama backs this up. 1st amendment protects religion, but you ALWAYS have to be peaceful with it.
But you're doing the classic equate of 9/11 = Islam. Razz I'm sure whoever came up with this idea said to themselves, hmm, let's see where we can find cheap real estate in New York.
Look, its 2 blocks away, its not built ON Ground Zero. There are Japanese people and resturaunts at Pearl Harbor, and nobody cares about that. I can honestly see it being an issue if they would build it on ground zero, and as merthsoft's post says, you guys are over-reacting. All that people are doing is taking the religious tension and pulling it more and more, and eventually it will snap, and there will be genocide. 9/11=Islam is complete bs. You can't blame all of the Christians for the Crusades, Every German for the Holocaust, Every Russian for Communism. Everything starts when one person decides that they something needs to change, and they decide to recruit people to change it. I've studied Islam in school, and it doesn't say anyting about bombing people when you want to. All it says is that they are not allowed to use violence unless they are oppressed. And look at the United States. We're trying to make everybody like us, and thats a problem. If we constantly try to turn everybody like us than yeah, there will be problems. This is a miniscule problem compared to the situation with North Korea right now, because whats going to happen is we are going to "test" our nuclear missiles over there with South Korea and the North Koreans are going to declare war against us, which will pull the Allied nations and South Korea with us, against North Korea who will side with Japan and Russia because they hate us and WW4 will begin. We talked about this is my "International Relations" course i took this summer.

And Yes, I said WW4, because thats the beauty of 4, it skips over 3.
People have a tendency to be reactionary. What's new or surprising about that?

Of course, I'm sure most of it is just the media playing it up to get attention. I doubt many people really care about this.
Zera wrote:

Of course, I'm sure most of it is just the media playing it up to get attention. I doubt many people really care about this.
Aye, eventually they'll find a new issue to get outraged about, and people will probably forget about it. :/
Zera wrote:

Nothings surprising about it, its just terrible that all we can do today is blame other people and try to stir up emotions of something that happened 9 years ago by making a large ordeal about something that doesn't mean jack sh*t.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38730223/ns/msnbc_tv-countdown_with_keith_olbermann/
9/11 was not a product of Islam. The Islamic people have actually discredited "radical Islams" and do not accept them. This known, Islam and radical Islams are actually two completely different things. Terrorists use the Islamic religion as justification for horrible acts, and the real members of this religion have publicly stated that none of their holy writings justify these actions.
That said, there is no reason to stop someone building whatever the hell they want, wherever the hell they want, so long as they have legal rights to do so.
That's exactly what I said
This seems relevant

Best. Show. Ever. I recommend you buy/pirate/TiVo the full episode.
SirCmpwn wrote:
9/11 was not a product of Islam. The Islamic people have actually discredited "radical Islams" and do not accept them. This known, Islam and radical Islams are actually two completely different things. Terrorists use the Islamic religion as justification for horrible acts, and the real members of this religion have publicly stated that none of their holy writings justify these actions.
That said, there is no reason to stop someone building whatever the hell they want, wherever the hell they want, so long as they have legal rights to do so.

tell that to the tards on the front cover of newsday today Razz
So the guy that was hosting "International Burn a Koran Day" pussed out. It's a shame too, he was gonna have militia and everything. Oh well. At least Park 51 is still going through. Maybe we'll get some interesting clashes with authorities with that...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours