So I was talking to my friend about our texts, and he wanted to know how many were sent by him versus, and some various other bits of data. Well, I used a program on my phone called SMS Backup & Restore which lets me get an XML dump of my texts. Using some quick XPath I was able to figure out the sent and received, but we wanted more data, so I made this little program. Here's what it looks like right now:

So, my question to you all is, what kind of data would you want to see? I'll be adding average texts in a row (per person), average response time by the other person (that one might be a little tricky... I'll have to figure out what actually counts as a "response". It'll probably just end up being "average time between messages"), and average words per text (per person). What else would be good? If you want to play with it now, get SMS Backup & Restore on your Android phone, back up, get the XML file off the SD card, and download my program here:
http://merthsoft.com/SMSAnalyzer.zip

If you don't have an Android phone, I don't know what to tell you. If there's a way to get an XML dump of texts, and you send me a file, I can make it work for other phones, too.
Graphs. I want graph everywhere. I want histograms of what time of day I send texts, what days of the week, what time of the month. I want graphs correlating (somehow) my texts sent to different people with each other. On a slightly more serious note (not that I'm not serious), does that application work on all Android phones?
Ooh, those graphs would be neat. I'm not sure about the one correlating people, but the others would be cool.

It should work on all Android phones. It worked on my G1 with Android way-old, and my G2 with CyanogenMod.
It should work on all android phones, and I think a cool feature may be to add support for reading the data from Gmails SMS backup+'s storage as well, since that is what I and a bunch of people I know use. But either way, hoteness Merth.
Who's the lucky lady in second place for most texts?
That's Michelle. Though she's collected only 235 texts in the same amount of time as Josh collected 1557. Not very significant.
merthsoft wrote:
That's Michelle. Though she's collected only 235 texts in the same amount of time as Josh collected 1557. Not very significant.

Well I've only collected 4, and we know how important I am, so obviously they're both pretty significant.
Haha, well, OK. She's not even in second place, though. The actual second place has 335 messages, but is off the list.
*Bump* Added some more data:

Download is the same:
http://merthsoft.com/SMSAnalyzer.zip
You text Chris more than you text me? Sad
Do I even have you number? Text me, my number's on my Facebook.
merthsoft wrote:
Do I even have you number? Text me, my number's on my Facebook.

Sext you? Okay.
I'm extremely interested to try this with my phone, given that I've kept text logs going back a year and a half now.
Just as a tiny nitpick, may I recommend that you round off those numbers at some reasonable decimal-place value? I doubt you actually need 13 digits of decimal precision there. Smile
Definitely a good point. I was just calculating and dumping, it's not at "production" quality or anything like that, just a demo.
Since I don't own an Android phone, I'd appreciate if you sent me the raw .XML file. I'd like to make a web parser for it!
techboy6601 wrote:
Since I don't own an Android phone, I'd appreciate if you sent me the raw .XML file. I'd like to make a web parser for it!

It's not particularly a good idea to bump an old topic but at least you remained on topic. I don't think someone is going to just throw you SMS logs from their phone. The iPhone keeps a log of it's text messages via a SQLite database that you can open and view with any SQLite viewer. On Mac, I use Liya. You just have to find the correct database to open.

I'm sure if you ask nicely, someone may provide you with a barebones XML structure.
Woops. Guess that was a misinterpretation - by "raw .XML file" I meant an example XML file based off the barebones structure.

As for the SQLite database:

1) Isn't it encrypted?
2) How do I get the database in the first place?
Hm. I remember doing this before that whole encryption thing went around. Let me backup my phone and load the database again under iOS6.

But the file you want(ed) to find is: 3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28.mddata
Yup, I've found it. Unfortunately I had it in an encrypted backup. I'm currently syncing right now. I wonder if it shows deleted SMSs as well.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours