I found some interesting audio material on how computers work on the fundamental level, things like hardware interrupts, machine language, and a bunch of other stuff down on a very low level in the system explained by a person who still codes most of his windows applications in assembly and has been doing so for many years. I collected the relevant episodes of the podcast and I zipped them and I am uploading them in case anyone is interested. The link is: http://downloads.mcgurrin.net/media/computing_fundementals.zip
Of course, to the regular human this is how it works for them

"You press on button, and then magic turnes the OS and computer on to do what ever you want" Razz

But seriously, that is a nice article (article might not be the right word, but, I cant think of another one Razz
qazz42 wrote:
Of course, to the regular human this is how it works for them

"You press on button, and then magic turnes the OS and computer on to do what ever you want" Razz

But seriously, that is a nice article (article might not be the right word, but, I cant think of another one Razz

I understand that but I don't think that is the case for most on this forum on how they work. I believe it also has some how flip-flop circuits work and such in the first one.
I know, I meant the humans who say "What can this do" instead of "what can I make this do"

Hmm, wasnt that someone's sig?
Nice find there, Glenn. I had a computer teaching slash sysadmin in my elementary school who was a real product of the computer culture of the 80s and the 90s; beard, enthusiasm about hardware hacking (including helping me build a ParallelLink for my calculator), and a fondness for x86 assembly. He taught an x86 assembly course for us in 7th and 8th grade, and I must say that I think that was a huge help with my z80 understanding. At any rate, he went through all this low-level stuff, and it's great to know to understand what's going on under the hood regardless of what language(s) you write.
KermMartian wrote:
Nice find there, Glenn. I had a computer teaching slash sysadmin in my elementary school who was a real product of the computer culture of the 80s and the 90s; beard, enthusiasm about hardware hacking (including helping me build a ParallelLink for my calculator), and a fondness for x86 assembly. He taught an x86 assembly course for us in 7th and 8th grade, and I must say that I think that was a huge help with my z80 understanding. At any rate, he went through all this low-level stuff, and it's great to know to understand what's going on under the hood regardless of what language(s) you write.

Yeah it's from the podcast security now with Leo Laporte and Steve Gibson which is also great for security news and info on how security tech works like SSL/TLS, GSM, AES, RSA and a whole bunch of other stuff.

EDIT: He also is still a big x86 ASM guy and is currently writing a VPN software in pure ASM

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours