My TI84+ will turn on when the on button is pressed, but no other keypresses will register, I have to pull battery to turn it off, I tried removing all batteries + backup which gave me a ram cleared notice but the keypad will still not do anything
Gryphon, welcome to Cemetech. It sounds to me as if you have a stuck key. Do you have any electrical engineering or soldering experience, and a multimeter, to be able to open up the calculator and debug it/
i had the same problems but i had a problem with the os maby you can send a new os. at my calc is now all working Very Happy
alex99 wrote:
i had the same problems but i had a problem with the os maby you can send a new os. at my calc is now all working Very Happy
That's worth a try, but I think OS corruption wouldn't be at the top of my list of suspected causes for the symptoms he's reporting.
hmmm well i had a problem with the dcs7 homerun hook but it could be a problen of him if he has a prog not for his calc
I have a disassembly guide on my website, but I need to add the TI-84 Plus disassembly tutorial first. I (and most others here) can help with the repair on SAX or on the forums.
@KermMartian

I'm intrigued as to what remedial steps you were about to suggest Gryphon take to investigate and solve the cause of his stuck key with the judicious use of a soldering iron and multimeter.

Please tell us more... Exclamation
I had a similar problem, but that was when I played around with a 3rd party OS and then tried to reinstall TI OS. Can you tell us exactly what you did before this happened?
flintymcqwerty wrote:
@KermMartian

I'm intrigued as to what remedial steps you were about to suggest Gryphon take to investigate and solve the cause of his stuck key with the judicious use of a soldering iron and multimeter.

Please tell us more... Exclamation
By checking the resistance between opposite halves of the keypad pads on the mainboard, with the membrane removed, he could find shorts. With the membrane removed, the resistance between the two halves should be high (you short them together when you press a key). If any pair has low resistance, then it's shorted somewhere, which means the calculator will read it as a stuck key. This often happens if leaked battery acid has damaged the mainboard.
Wow! thanks for all the replies
@KermMartian
I have a soldering iron an a little bit of experience

@GinDiamond
I was taking a calc exam. I am running the stock os with a couple of programs downloaded
Fascinating! I looked for some photos of a disassembled TI-84+ to follow what you were describing and delighted in pouring over the pictures on the site below.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ti-84-Basic-Disassembly/ Very Happy

@Gryphon
Go for it son! Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
Gryphon wrote:
Wow! thanks for all the replies
@KermMartian
I have a soldering iron an a little bit of experience
If you start with using a multimeter to check for shorts, you don't run the risk of damaging your calculator too badly. All you'll need is a philips screwdriver (for the backup battery cover), a Torx-6 screwdriver (for the case), and a guitar pick, spudger, or thin flathead screwdriver (to release the case latches).
I recently noticed that I can't turn off one of my TI-84P SE's with the usual 2ND>ON keystrokes. Every other 2ND> "whatever" seems to work fine, and the ON key always turns it on. It does always shut off after five minutes or so. Tried a reset to defaults, but no help. How could this one series of keystrokes go wrong?
Quaternion: That's an odd one indeed. The [ON] functions through a different mechanism than the rest of the keys, so it would make more sense to me if you could neither turn it on or off with [ON]. However, only being unable to turn it off is quite strange. Do you use zStart? It's been known to make the OS very unstable. Anyway, a first step of debugging would be to archive your important programs and data and do a RAM clear.
Kerm: I don't know what zStart is, so presume I am not using it (how would I know, by the way?). I'll try the archiving and RAM clear, and will let you know. By the way, if I haven't told you before, kudos to you for a great book! I got into it long enough to learn to write a couple of simple programs, then life got in the way. Hope to get back to it soon.
quaternion: did anyone borrow your calculator recently?
Have you run any patches to the os or anything that heavily modifies the os?
Also have you tried reinstalling the tios?
LuxenD: No, this is one I keep at home, the other one goes with me to work.

geekboy1011: I just checked the os version, as I don't recall whether I updated it after buying. I am running 2.55MP, same as on my other TI-84P SE. Have not tried reinstalling the os. I'll try the archive, clear RAM, then go to a reinstall.

Many thanks to you all.
Sounds good good luck!
Folks, I'm getting a little jumpy here. I have archived my programs, don't think there is any data in lists, matrices, etc, that I need to keep. So here comes the big newbie question...does the suggestion to do a "RAM clear" mean do "2ND>MEM>Reset>RAM>All RAM", and my programs should not be touched? Yep, that's how specific you gotta' be with me. My apologies, and thanks for your patience.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours