Yumé (from Yume, Japanese for dream) is an adventure game about a young girl named Nanami who constantly dreams about a strange world.

One night, however, the dream imprisons her and she is unable to wake up. To make matters worse, the longer she remains in this Dream World (informally called Yumé), the weaker she feels as something or someone in Yumé is draining her life force. Thus, Nanami needs to find a way to wake up from her nightmarish dream before she loses all of her life force and dies for real.

Yumé is non-linear. It's entirely up to the player where to go and how to explore the Dream World. Your "Life Force" gauge is slowly but constantly draining. You can restore your Life Force by searching for Life Energy Orbs that are scattered around. No worries, they respawn if you leave the room and come back.

There are lots of traps and mysteries in the Dream World so you need to be careful. You can't save so one wrong move and it's permanent Game Over.

From left to right: the current Title screen; the Storyline screen; and a gameplay screen showing a demo room, Nanami's sprite, a small Life Energy Orb (currently worth 10 Life Force), and the current HUD design.

In terms of DCS7, Yumé will have:
- DCS's xLIB integration
- a DCS Icon
- usage of the DCS Header to unarchive subprograms
- (probably) some usage of DCS-Lib, at least StringWidth.

Oh, and for those wondering, this game was indeed somewhat inspired by the adventure game Yume Nikki.
Looks great, Keith, even aside from being a contest entry! From a judging standpoint I'm a little concerned about the level of DCSness used, but it certainly looks cool. Smile What are you using for the sprites, the Xlib/Celtic stuff? If so, then you're using more DCS stuff than you mentioned.
KermMartian wrote:
Looks great, Keith, even aside from being a contest entry! From a judging standpoint I'm a little concerned about the level of DCSness used, but it certainly looks cool. Smile What are you using for the sprites, the Xlib/Celtic stuff? If so, then you're using more DCS stuff than you mentioned.

Yeah, I'm using xLIB. I sort of forgot about DCS7's xLIB/CelticIII compatibility. Editing first post accordingly.
Ah, very good, glad to hear that then and good luck in the contest.
Animated screenshots of progress Razz

Title screen and storyline, gameplay. Showing off moving between maps, grabbing items (which respawn when you re-enter) and key items (which move to your inventory and don't respawn), and the Dream World's draining effects on Nanami's Life Force.

If Nanami loses all of her Life Force, she falls unconscious and dies.

Note, all of this is still BETA and subject to change. Also note, the game runs a smidge faster on an 84+r
:O wow that looks epic
Eeems wrote:
:O wow that looks epic
Most heartily seconded! I look forward to grading this (as I do all entries Smile ).
Looks nice so far, I hope this gets finished Smile
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Me too, although first I hope there's enough done at least for a demo for the contest. Smile
I agree. For RPG/Adventure type games, I can't imagine running the entire game on contest entry just for times sakes. That is not to say though that we will not look things thoroughly and give it the proper grade it deserves.
KermMartian wrote:
DJ Omnimaga wrote:
Me too, although first I hope there's enough done at least for a demo for the contest. Smile

The game will be finished and in time for the contest deadline.

rivereye wrote:
I agree. For RPG/Adventure type games, I can't imagine running the entire game on contest entry just for times sakes. That is not to say though that we will not look things thoroughly and give it the proper grade it deserves.

Yumé is a single-sitting game. Unlike elaborate RPGs or adventure games which have hours of content (like DJ's Illusiat series) and would take a casual gamer several sittings to beat, Yumé won't take very long to complete. I'd say 30 minutes tops.
rivereye wrote:
And if it is completed, we would both happily play through a whole game to evaluate it fairly.
This looks wonderful Very Happy Great work.
elfprince13 wrote:
Agreed. Subaru, we've been kinda working on hearsay here; do you plan to finish the full game by the demo, or just a subset?
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Agreed. Subaru, we've been kinda working on hearsay here; do you plan to finish the full game by the demo, or just a subset?

Uh... Not sure if I'm understanding what you mean. The entire game will be done. My entry will be the entire game. No demos or only-N-percent-finished versions. A full game. A short game, but a full game nonetheless.

Also, if you're calling me by my IRC nick out of IRC then I may as well have my forum username changed to match Razz
Haha whoops, *Keith. And that's very good to hear, I like when people have the determination to complete things and set deadline for themselves. Smile Did you want me to change your forum username? I have no problem with it being KJ.
KermMartian wrote:
Haha whoops, *Keith. And that's very good to hear, I like when people have the determination to complete things and set deadline for themselves. Smile Did you want me to change your forum username? I have no problem with it being KJ.

Change my forum username to The Master! err... Just Joking Razz

Progress report on Yumé:
- 14 rooms coded thus far but the layouts aren't final yet.
- Ending is coded.
- Still need to finish coding and placing items and events.

At best estimate, the game is 60-70% done. Expect it finished next week! Smile

Also, spoilers: there will be more Yumé games after this one. Each one is a single chapter in a larger storyline. I'm doing this to keep the game much more manageable.
Is there a Merth character yet? ;D
There is one planned, but he won't appear in Yumé. He'll appear in a later game.
Many chapters? Most of the gameplay done, content in progress? Gogogogo Keith. Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours