Now that I have my ideas together, and a definite game-type, this is the forum for my progress on my First Person game. The deadline is one week from now!

You can read my getting of ideas here.

Today I started working on the 2nd area of the game. I added "E" as an action button, and when you interact with the door, you enter the house. This room is only half done so far, I am thinking of a layout. The size was becoming an issue for me, considering the game was 24 mb without music, 35 mb with 1 music track. I looked through my code and textures, and optimized out 12 mb of data, bringing my exe file to 12,876 kb (edit: now 10,876). Also done is the optional music pack, you can choose to get the pack or not, either way there is some kind of music playing (although the pack is more immersive).
Once I finish a couple more areas, I'll post an updated demo.

Edit2: Screenshots are here, check out the cleaner, less pixelated road.

Newest beta is here, get this one!
Looks great! I think you might want to go more with gray vertical streaks for rain instead of blue single pixel, though. Razz
KermMartian wrote:
Looks great! I think you might want to go more with gray vertical streaks for rain instead of blue single pixel, though. Razz

I threw the single pixel on because of it's simplicity. Could you post an image of what the grey streaks would look like, please, so I could get an idea of what mine will look like and I can swap it in.
Also, music type changed to .ogg and now down to 65% of its original size.
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

I threw the single pixel on because of it's simplicity. Could you post an image of what the grey streaks would look like, please, so I could get an idea of what mine will look like and I can swap it in.
Also, music type changed to .ogg and now down to 65% of its original size.

I can't find a good example (other than playing a few UT maps); the general effect I'm thinking of ends up looking like this with some persistence of vision:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/36791/Texture/Rain-texture-pack
KermMartian wrote:

I can't find a good example (other than playing a few UT maps); the general effect I'm thinking of ends up looking like this with some persistence of vision:

http://www.sharecg.com/v/36791/Texture/Rain-texture-pack

Thank you Kerm, I got rid of the old rain and integrated the new one.

Screenies!

This looks a bit like what you were talking about. I used a gui for these, and made it 1/2 transparent. The gui was black, so that makes a darkness effect when it is transparent, which goes good with the hard rain. Tell me how it looks, guys.
That's exactly what I had in mind; I think it looks much more natural. Do you agree? I'm glad you made them varying transparency and scale, just as I was going to suggest.
KermMartian wrote:
That's exactly what I had in mind; I think it looks much more natural. Do you agree? I'm glad you made them varying transparency and scale, just as I was going to suggest.

Yes, it looks very natural now, the only thing is there is no stopping rain once it hits objects, so it is realistic-1. Sadly, this is a performance speed-bump, and it added 1 mb to the exe.

2nd area is almost done in terms of the layout. After it is done, I have to add objects and the like.
*bump* (well it is the next day Razz)

End of day 1:
After a night of editing, version 0.04 is done.

Upgrades from last demo:

Rain effect more realistic (Kerm suggested)
    Boundaries set on street, now you can't fall off
    Building walls set higher
    2nd room layout finished (no furnishings, but floor-plan done)

Download it here (11.1 MB)
OR
Download the smaller version containing midi's instead of ogg's (4.76 MB)
EDIT: GO HERE FOR NEWEST BETA

Please, please, please download and help me test for bugs, suggest ideas, and the like because I only have 6 more days! All of your names will go in the credits!

Things I need:
A story (lmao)
Jumping sound effect (like on UT)
To find bugs, help me with this the most!
Ideas for an easter egg
Puzzle Ideas
Music suggestions

Screenshots

Now wasn't that an epic post?
http://incompetech.com/ has a HUGE variety of royalty-free music under CCL.
DShiznit wrote:
Cemetech's sister site? Confused

Laughing
swivelgames wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Cemetech's sister site? Confused

0x5
If by extension that makes us Competentech, then I approve. Wink xxEpic, I'll be happy to test this out later.
I can haz story writing? Very Happy
I'd love to help test the game, but I can't figure out how to run it...
It's in a file, but i can't open to the game. Sad
DShiznit: Thanks, I'll take a look.

Kerm: Ok, that would be awesome, thank you too.

Raylin: I believe Sonlen is having a part in that as well, if you want you can collaborate to make an epic (but reasonable within 6 more days) story, by all means go for it.

HoboNerd: First you need to extract the folder. Right click, select extract, and follow the prompts. It will create a new folder, enter it and select the .exe "killers" (working title, will 100% change). If you then receive an error about dll's, then you need to take all the dll files and and copy them to your win32 folder. If you need help with any of this, let me know.
Raylin wrote:

As fails said, we can do this together.
I sorta thought of something like this:

You hear a gunshot coming from your house followed by a scream.
You decide to go investigate to see what happened, but danger can be anywhere.
You must find out where it happened and who did it and blah blah.

Crappy sounding I know, but a start.
Sonlen wrote:
Raylin wrote:

It sounds pretty good, and to make it better, all the people from the town have disappeared or died by the killer. There can be secret passages, other towns, wrecked buildings, and other things that you have to go through. I'm just throwing ideas out, Raylin and Sonlen get to decide. Razz
xXEpicxXXxFailXx wrote:
Sonlen wrote:
Raylin wrote:

It sounds pretty good, and to make it better, all the people from the town have disappeared or died by the killer. There can be secret passages, other towns, wrecked buildings, and other things that you have to go through. I'm just throwing ideas out, Raylin and Sonlen get to decide. Razz

Actually I was thinking of some hidden passages that seem to come out of nowhere, a trapdoor or 2 maybe.
Okay, so after hearing that mouse lagging was a problem, I put it as priority number 1. I found out that is was the engine not being able to handle so many objects on the screen at once. So, I split the house into two parts that are linked by the hallway. This did indeed reduce mouse stutter and amount of times it "locked up".

Here are the updated versions to check out.

With .midi audio

With .ogg audio (recommended, but larger)

Please test this version out!
@Sonlen: Silent Hill-ish game?
Raylin wrote:
@Sonlen: Silent Hill-ish game?

Holy hell, it would be great to have a Silent Hill game, I can do fog and darkness effects... The only thing is no monsters because I can't figure out AI.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 5
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours