Wow, your girlfriend actually looks kinda cute from a distance...

On a more serious note, why isn't this in national news? Hell, there should be a Discovery Channel program on this. Or at least a guest appearance on the Daily Show, or something.
DShiznit wrote:

On a more serious note, why isn't this in national news? Hell, there should be a Discovery Channel program on this. Or at least a guest appearance on the Daily Show, or something.
Certainly agreed; this is exactly the kind of green project that's actually feasible, takes no energy, and works as well as or better than its technological counterpart that we need these days. Of course, it doesn't work in many climates, but it's still a great idea for the climates in which it works imho.;
@Kerm: Which of those statements were you agreeing to Wink

Yeah. It's way too hot in Arkansas. We get maybe 2 days of snow here per year.
KermMartian wrote:
Epic! This looks like it was a ton of fun; I'm actually quite jealous of your summer outdoors working on this project.

Very Happy

Pseudoprogrammer wrote:
I, for one, do not trust Courtney in a construction vehicle.

In this case.....a destruction video.

DShiznit wrote:

You sound surprised Razz

DShiznit wrote:

Actually, we might be able to finagle something with Discovery, I don't know, but one of our friends was their tech-genius for season 1 of the Colony, and is staying on as an adviser for season 2. Other than that, because we really only have contacts with local reporters, none of whose stuff goes to the AP.
Hmm, I've been slacking on the write-up for this.
We just got some coverage on Channel 3, if anyone wants to watch the video, you can see it here: http://www.wcax.com/global/video.asp?clipId=5207168&autostart=true (with a writeup here).

Also, starting this week, students taking a computer modeling (physical/engineering modeling, not pretty picture modeling) which is required of all freshmen at the elite Olin College of Engineering will be working on generalizing our model and analyzing the influence of the individual parameters on the system.
elfprince13 wrote:
Hmm, I've been slacking on the write-up for this.
We just got some coverage on Channel 3, if anyone wants to watch the video, you can see it here: http://www.wcax.com/global/video.asp?clipId=5207168&autostart=true (with a writeup here).

Also, starting this week, students taking a computer modeling (physical/engineering modeling, not pretty picture modeling) which is required of all freshmen at the elite Olin College of Engineering will be working on generalizing our model and analyzing the influence of the individual parameters on the system.

Very Cool Elfprince. Cant wait to see this done. Nice video too, I hope everything works and you can get all those bottles filled.
We're doing pretty well with the bottles, though I haven't been over for a few weeks to see how it's going (the Tailers were in Indonesia for 2 weeks with the International Earth Science Olympiad team), but I think our bigger problem at this point is getting everything insulated.

We hosted a 10/10/10 350 work party which I think helped a lot with the bottles.
elfprince13 wrote:
...which is required of all freshmen at the elite Olin College of Engineering will be working on generalizing our model and analyzing the influence of the individual parameters on the system.
The very same Olin College that accepted me (and everyone else in my accepted class) on a full-tuition scholarship, but which my mother by talking to some kids on the subway discovered is no longer full-tuition? Wink No, I'm not elitist about Cooper at all. Laughing
Their initial endowment for full-tuition scholarships is running out, so the class of 2014 (this year's freshman) are the first batch to have to pay tution.
elfprince13 wrote:
Their initial endowment for full-tuition scholarships is running out, so the class of 2014 (this year's freshman) are the first batch to have to pay tution.
Ah, I thought that perhaps they would have found ways to expand the endowment, but I guess that takes time and careful investing. Smile
My guess would be that they are taking in more money, but that they are cutting back so that their outflow isn't in significant excess of their inflow. But I don't know what the details are, since I haven't asked either of my friends there.
elfprince13 wrote:
My guess would be that they are taking in more money, but that they are cutting back so that their outflow isn't in significant excess of their inflow. But I don't know what the details are, since I haven't asked either of my friends there.
Sounds good, I'll have to do some more investigation on my own. Let's get back on-topic, since I've sidetracked us significantly. Does it look like it's going to be operational over this winter?
Sounds like a great way for mobsters to hide bodies for years at a time in isolation without decomposition...
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Sounds good, I'll have to do some more investigation on my own. Let's get back on-topic, since I've sidetracked us significantly. Does it look like it's going to be operational over this winter?

We're racing to get it all insulated, but I suppose as long as that is done by the spring thaw, it should be okay.

DShiznit: It drastically slows bacterial growth, but a real freezer would be needed to stop it entirely.
At this point we've finished filling about 2/3 of the bottles for the main chamber (probably half of them overall), and started the insulation process. A group of the kids from Olin came up to do some tests related to their modeling and help us reconfigure a wood chipper/mulcher into a styrofoam grinder. Notice the hatches around the edge of the room allowing us blow in insulation. The big thermosiphoning hatches between the basement and the ground floor are currently closed up to make it a little safer for us to walk around.

"I just wanted it to snow!"
DShiznit wrote:
Hehe, I was just going to ask about that; I assume that it's salt. That wall of bottles is quite impressive, and I applaud the ingenuity of the lettering. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:
Hehe, I was just going to ask about that; I assume that it's salt. That wall of bottles is quite impressive, and I applaud the ingenuity of the lettering. Smile

The salt is in the bottles. That is shredded styrofoam insulation.
elfprince13 wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
DShiznit wrote:

The salt is in the bottles. That is shredded styrofoam insulation.
Ahhh, that makes much more sense. The only thing I could come up with was perhaps that was temporary storage for the salt until you put it into solution.
Even I could tell(from the very cliche' sars masks) that it was deadly deadly Styrofoam dust...

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours